Bug ID needed please help [a: assorted not bed bugs]

(7 posts)
  1. bedbug_bedbug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 0:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw this on the wall and I initially thought this was a bed bug. As I was taking picture of it, it flew away! I saw it clearly, this bug has wings!Do bed bugs have wings? If they are not bed bug, what are they? Thank you so much for your help !!

2. bedbug_bedbug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 0:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry the img doesn't seem to work. The URL of the img is attached below.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147520697@N06/shares/X94c7L

3. bedbug_bedbug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 0:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have two more photos I took several days ago. (Sorry they were blurry) It was on my bed and I thought it was bed bug and I had a bed bug exterminator chemical treated my apartment once.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147520697@N06/shares/AdnSN4
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147520697@N06/shares/w4Q6yt

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 6:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbug_bedbug - 5 hours ago  » 
    I have two more photos I took several days ago. (Sorry they were blurry) It was on my bed and I thought it was bed bug and I had a bed bug exterminator chemical treated my apartment once.

Did the exterminator think this was a bed bug, too?
    Small beetle.
    Pictures are taken too far from insect subject to be able to zoom in for ID.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. bedbug_bedbug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 11:23:27
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

bedbug_bedbug - 5 hours ago  » 

Did the exterminator think this was a bed bug, too?
    Small beetle.
    Pictures are taken too far from insect subject to be able to zoom in for ID.

Thank you loubugs for your reply! Did you check the very first photo I post? I think it is clearer. The bed bug exterminator was not professional at all (The apartment landlord hired him.) The exterminator came and asked if I was bitten. I said yes. And then he went straight to check my mattress and bed sheet (I had no box spring and bed frame before and the mattress was on the floor initially. Now I have a metal bed frame.) The exterminator found nothing. But he still sprayed some chemical stuff around all edges of the floor and carpet.
    Since I bought a metal bed frame, I haven't got bitten yet. However, the bites I got before looked very similar to bed bug bites (3 in a straight line). I only saw "bed bug" three times in my apartment. First time: a brown bug on my bed sheet when I was about to go to bed (two blurry photo posted above). I thought it was a bed bug. Second time: a translucent tiny tiny bug which I thought was a bed bug baby on my bed sheet when I was about going to bed. I didn't have a chance to take a photo this time. Third time: a brown bug looks like the bug I saw the first time on the wall of my living room. I thought it was bed bug again. After I took several photos of it and about to catch it, it flew away.
    I checked my mattress every day and I never found any bed bugs or blood/fecal stains. I washed my bed sheet nearly three times a week since I got bitten. I checked every corner of my apartment and I found nothing (no stains no fecal). However, I still haven't clean up my little walking closet (i.e. put everything away in bag and container) so I thought maybe the bug is hiding there. I am going to clean my closet once the containers arrive.
    I am not sure if I really got bed bugs in my apartment right now. Maybe I got bed bug plus other bugs? I saw some pest control company offer free inspection of bed bugs. Do you suggest to use this service ? Thank you again for your reply and any further suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 22 2016 13:41:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbug_bedbug:
    "Since I bought a metal bed frame, I haven't got bitten yet. However, the bites I got before looked very similar to bed bug bites (3 in a straight line). I only saw "bed bug" three times in my apartment. First time: a brown bug on my bed sheet when I was about to go to bed (two blurry photo posted above). I thought it was a bed bug."
    --The beetle looks like it could be a cigarette beetle or drugstore beetle. You took the pictures of the insects but stood too far away from them. Resolution should be set to highest and picture size to largest. Bed bug bites are not necessarily what people think is classic, that is being 3 in a row. You might not have any bed bugs and just experience skin lesions from something else.
    "Second time: a translucent tiny tiny bug which I thought was a bed bug baby on my bed sheet when I was about going to bed. I didn't have a chance to take a photo this time. Third time: a brown bug looks like the bug I saw the first time on the wall of my living room. I thought it was bed bug again. After I took several photos of it and about to catch it, it flew away."
    --Most likely not bed bug, but book louse - just a guess. 3rd one not a bed bug because - it flew away and bed bugs don't have functional flight wings.

7. bedbug_bedbug

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 23 2016 22:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 
    bedbug_bedbug:
    "Since I bought a metal bed frame, I haven't got bitten yet. However, the bites I got before looked very similar to bed bug bites (3 in a straight line). I only saw "bed bug" three times in my apartment. First time: a brown bug on my bed sheet when I was about to go to bed (two blurry photo posted above). I thought it was a bed bug."
    --The beetle looks like it could be a cigarette beetle or drugstore beetle. You took the pictures of the insects but stood too far away from them. Resolution should be set to highest and picture size to largest. Bed bug bites are not necessarily what people think is classic, that is being 3 in a row. You might not have any bed bugs and just experience skin lesions from something else.
    "Second time: a translucent tiny tiny bug which I thought was a bed bug baby on my bed sheet when I was about going to bed. I didn't have a chance to take a photo this time. Third time: a brown bug looks like the bug I saw the first time on the wall of my living room. I thought it was bed bug again. After I took several photos of it and about to catch it, it flew away."
    --Most likely not bed bug, but book louse - just a guess. 3rd one not a bed bug because - it flew away and bed bugs don't have functional flight wings.

Thank you loubugs for the information! The exterminator is coming again next week to inspect the entire apartment. I will post some updates here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams