(4 posts)
  1. bugcheck13

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 9:59:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,
    First of all a huge thank you to those who surf these forums and volunteer their time to ID pictures! It is such a huge help to not need to call someone into the house right away. Here's our story:

Last week we were visiting my in-laws when my wife found an adult bedbug in the bed in the morning. Just one, and a search did not reveal anything else. (We did take the time to ID it, and it looked just like a bed bug; now after doing more research, it may have also been a bat bug since those are so similar.) A few days after getting back home new bites appeared on her that looked like they could be bed bug bites. We became quite worried that the bug we saw at her parents' could have come from here, or that we brought some back, or that some came in on the luggage at some point and were still with us. So we launched a pretty thorough search. We have not found any evidence in the mattress or box spring seams or by the dresser, but we did find some living bugs behind the bed in the corner of the floor and the wall.

Unfortunately we used sticky tape to capture the bugs instead of plastic bags, so many of these pictures are not great, but some are OK. There were either two species or two stages of bugs. The smaller, potentially nymph stage bugs I only have one decent photo of (the second one is the same image zoomed out for scale by including my fingers):

Nymph? by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Nymph? zoomed out with fingers for scale by bugcheck13, on Flickr

These smaller bugs retreated into a crack between the wooden floorboards as we were shining a light on them.

These larger bugs I have five samples of, of varying quality. After doing more research these ones seem less likely to be bedbugs, but we want to be sure. You can see the jagged edge of the tape in some of the photos for scale.

Bug #1 by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Bug #2 by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Bug #3 by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Bug #4 by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Bug #5 by bugcheck13, on Flickr

Lastly, we saw many indiscernible specks of stuff that we wondered whether they were casts with the legs gone. Here is one:

Cast? by bugcheck13, on Flickr

If anyone can help ID any of the above images, we would hugely appreciate it!!

We are not sure if we are being overly paranoid, but there are two additional factors leading us to wanting to be extra certain: we have guests coming in a few days and we neither want to expose them to bed bugs nor encourage them to spread to another room by finding our guests where they are sleeping and laying eggs there; and we just bought a house and are moving from our rental and really don't want to bring them over.

As far as our preventive steps...in addition to our inspection, we ran all our linens in the drier on high heat, plus clothes that were on the floor or in the laundry basket on the floor, we have bought mattress encasements, and we bought the passive interceptors to put on our bedposts to trap any bugs coming or going. If these tests come back negative, have we done enough?

Once again, thanks so much in advance!

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 10:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I'm not an expert but the first images appear to be psocids and bugs #1 - #4 are all some kind of beetle larva. I have no idea what bugs #5 / #6 are (or rather were) but they don't appear to be bed bug related.

One thing that you should note is that in some cases bite reactions don't show up for a couple of days, so what you experienced after you got home may have been delayed reactions to bites you received at your in-laws. Or of course, they may have been entirely unrelated to bed bugs altogether.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 11:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming Pscocids and carpet beetle larva noting bedbug related there.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. bugcheck13

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 20:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to both of you for quick replies! Will make it easier to sleep tonight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs