I believe this bit me all night [a: Salticidae, jumping spider]

(8 posts)
  1. global24

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 9:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently stayed in an Airbnb at a Delaware beach and noticed itchy, small bites all over my body after I was home the next day. Then I saw this crawling on my rolling suitcase after I was back home. Not a bed bug, but what could it be? I'm assuming this is what was biting me. It crawled somewhat quickly, and I noticed it jump a couple times, a few inches at a time. I had also brought the same suitcase to Juarez, Mexico a couple of days prior.

File_001 by adub253, on Flickr

File_003 by adub253, on Flickr

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 10:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a spider. Lou could give you the proper name.
    Delaware offers such great things as mosquitoes, gnats, midges, chiggers, ticks, all kindsa good stuff. And if you drove down to Chincoteague or Assateague you know about the brutal local mosquitoes on those islands.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 10:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

From Juarez to Bethany, that's a strange travel itinerary.

4. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 11:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Metacyrba punctata: a jumping spider.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 11:05:13
    #

Login to Send PM

global24: "I'm assuming this is what was biting me. It crawled somewhat quickly, and I noticed it jump a couple times, a few inches at a time."
    Don't assume. Jumping spider, a member of the family Salticidae. It has good vision and also will turn its cephalothorax and look at you. This is a male and he was in search of a female.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. global24

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 11:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. I was actually in Dewey Beach. But I'm now a little concerned that this jumping spider is just a red herring, and I really slept in a bed with bed bugs. I had itchy little bites (pic below) all over my body. Seems like it'd be unusual for a jumping spider to feast on a human like that from what I'm reading.

File_000 (3) by adub253, on Flickr

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 11:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I've spent many a day on the eastern shore and there are plenty of critters that bite both inside and outdoors. If it would ease your fears you could install a passive monitor and check it for a few weeks just in case.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 12:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

global24 - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks everyone. I was actually in Dewey Beach. But I'm now a little concerned that this jumping spider is just a red herring, and I really slept in a bed with bed bugs. I had itchy little bites (pic below) all over my body. Seems like it'd be unusual for a jumping spider to feast on a human like that from what I'm reading.

Just because you found the spider doesn't mean the skin lesion is from it. I can assure you that it's not from the spider. As BD said, use some monitors - bed bugs is not necessarily the only answer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,916 posts in 50,062 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned