BUG ID NEEDED: DEAD BUG IN BED [a: part of an isopod]

(10 posts)
  1. scaredct

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 13:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend found this headless dead bug in his bed this morning. We don't live together, and the other day I washed my bedding and used his sheets. I have had 5 or so mysterious bug bites and was afraid I had bed bugs but have been constantly checking and found no trace of them.

http://imgur.com/BvNJDEZ top of bug with no head

http://imgur.com/Y2Jp9Lr bottom of bug

Is this a bed bug or something else? He said it is darker than in the photo. He says it looks like a bed bug but that it was curled up like a beetle when he found it. So worried!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 13:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bug related. Bed bugs tend to stay together fairly well after death. And prior to.

3. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 13:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ScaredCT - I am not a professional, but to me it looks like a woodlouse/pill bug/potato bug.
    Here's an image from a photography website that looks remarkably similar (to me) to your headless mystery bug:
    Pill bug
    Whereas this Orkin page shows an image of a bed bug underside, 1/2-way down.
    Experts?

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 14:02:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks isopod related.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. scaredct

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 15:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Apparently he says he can tell it has 6 legs but I see how the bottom photo is misleading. I haven't seen it in person - I'll try to get a better photo.

6. scaredct

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 21:43:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Any other thoughts on this? I think the second picture is misleading. My boyfriend said he can tell it has 6 legs. The ribbing looks like the ribbing of the shell or body rather than multiple legs.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 22:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredct - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Hey guys,
    Any other thoughts on this? I think the second picture is misleading. My boyfriend said he can tell it has 6 legs. The ribbing looks like the ribbing of the shell or body rather than multiple legs.

It's only part of an isopod, so your boyfriend is only seeing part of an arthropod and it's the rear part (ventral view of legs). So technically not an insect.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. scaredct

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 22:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou!! Feeling much better. So just to be doubly sure - it's not bed bug related right?

9. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 23:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou is right. He's THE bug guy, really. He would know, and if he didn't, he would say he didn't.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  10. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2016 23:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,735 posts in 50,026 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah