And what's this stain on my sheets? [a: not bed bug; expert stain ID needed]

(10 posts)
  1. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 17:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I once again call for your help in my bug hunt. Hope you can help me ID this bug and take a look at a stain.

I found this bug in my bedroom. It's not a bed bug is it?

One morning a couple of days ago, I noticed this stain on my sheets. It's quite a big stain, with like a long tail, and a bend. The whole stain, with its tail, is about 6 inches long and 0,5 inches wide. I used baby wipes on the stain, and it didn't turn reddish at all. The black spots you can see close to the stain are just loose dirt. I don't know where the stain came from, or exactly when, but there might be useful to know that our 1 year old daughter sleep in the same bed as us, and at times, she is a bit dirty. I don't think this is from a bed bug. What do you think?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 0:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug is not a bed bug.

Wait for an expert to weigh in on the stains.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 2:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot Nobugsonme!

Just to clarify, if anybody is wondering, both pictures show the same stain. One picture is just a little bit zoomed in.

4. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 8:51:48
    #

Login to Send PM

And sorry, just one other thing. The pictures show the stain as I found it, I didn't smear it out.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 9:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Finer details of how the stains its with the fibers and how it smears make it more likely to be a dirt transfer than anything less and extremely unlikely to be bed bugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 10:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

And thanks a lot! This helps a great deal, and I am very grateful for your time.

May I just ask, if you believe that it's true, that baby wipes can be useful in deciding if a stain is fecal from bed bugs or something else? The idea is that if it's bed bug fecal, the wipe will become reddish brown. I read about it here:

Info chasing bed bugs

Again, thank you very much.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 10:29:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its is not the advice I would give.

I have always recommended a q-tip and saliva because it is more accessible and is generally cheaper. Any level of red automatically excludes bed bugs by virtue of the fact that faecal has zero red pigment.

A more concise way of putting it all said and done.

David

8. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 11:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

That's really interesting, that there is zero red pigment. Isn't bed bug feces 100 percent blood? I guess the hemoglobin somehow disappears in the process?

Thanks again for your time and help!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 12:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bugs faeces was blood, it ceases to be both red and blood when it is digested by a bed bug. It goes in red and comes out a deep brown colour that is layers of a yellowish pigment.

Would love to have access to the level of tech needed to be able to work out the biochemistry involved but sadly my budget does not stretch that far.

David

10. fredster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 12:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for explaining David. You obviously know your stuff. Have a great evening, and thank you again!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs