Bug ID needed!!

(3 posts)
  1. Dingo50

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Jun 15 2019 15:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I need help identifying the cast skin on the right in the embedded and linked images.
    The bug on the left is of a type I've been finding around my apartment for over a week, presumably a pill bug though they don't roll up.

I found the cast inside my pillow sham and immediately thought it a bed bug, but wonder if it might be the shell of a younger pill bug. It has a similar three line pattern on the back end. The underside of the top half of the bug is thicker than the back, with an almost mica-like slight reflectivity. There is the black fecal spot in the middle, however, that suggested to me that it could just be a bed bug that shed unconventionally, with the underside splayed in the back?

I'll note that the pillow showed no other signs of bedbugs. No fecal nor blood stains nor live bugs. I have, however, been bit in patterns of three along my ankle recently, so I haven't been able to rule it out on my own.

https://imgur.com/a/QphFAFD

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 21 2019 22:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry this was in the spam filter. The insect is not a bed bug; not sure what the other object is.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 22 2019 6:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dingo50 - 6 days ago  » 
    I need help identifying the cast skin on the right in the embedded and linked images.
    The bug on the left is of a type I've been finding around my apartment for over a week, presumably a pill bug though they don't roll up.
    I found the cast inside my pillow sham and immediately thought it a bed bug, but wonder if it might be the shell of a younger pill bug. It has a similar three line pattern on the back end. The underside of the top half of the bug is thicker than the back, with an almost mica-like slight reflectivity. There is the black fecal spot in the middle, however, that suggested to me that it could just be a bed bug that shed unconventionally, with the underside splayed in the back?
    I'll note that the pillow showed no other signs of bedbugs. No fecal nor blood stains nor live bugs. I have, however, been bit in patterns of three along my ankle recently, so I haven't been able to rule it out on my own.

Very nice, clear photographs. The specimen on the left is an isopod. Pillbug, roly-poly, woodlouse, etc. are common names. The names are used interchangeably; but, in fact, that's the problem. Only certain isopods can actually roll up into a ball and some can roll up only a little. those isopods with the rear body "points" cannot roll up into a sphere for protection. Your specimen is this type.
    The insect is a silverfish. It's flattened a bit and missing the rear part of abdomen. Since there are many reflective body scales, there is a "mica-like slight reflectivity". There are no body structures to suggest that it is a bed bug. Skin lesions in 3s does not actually correlate with bed bug feeding.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,729 posts in 50,023 topics over 155 months by 21,872 of 22,355 members. Latest: BedBugNinja, citycpap, AnxiousAngela1989