(12 posts)
  1. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 19:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I really could use some help with this identification. I can’t say I am happy to be on this forum, but wow, you all are so knowledgeable and what a service you provide by volunteering your time helping ID these bugs.

This is a single family dwelling in North Carolina where we have been the only occupants for 14 years. We do travel a lot but we have been so very, very careful when we return; suitcases are unpacked in a separate room, and the clothing goes straight into the washer. Hotels are always checked very carefully when we arrive, suitcase is closed up, never on the floor, etc… We have never had bed bugs before.

We found (2) bugs. One was dead and in the elastic part of the mattress pad in the master bedroom (photos #1 & 2). The other was in a library book on the carpet floor of the master bedroom, about 6 feet from the bed (photos #3 &4). The library book had been in the bedroom for 6 weeks.

I also found a weird shell thing while I was crawling on the carpet outside the bedroom door (yes, I really was checking the carpet like a mad woman). Those are photos #5 & #6.

My husband has (2) bites on his ankle from about one week ago. No idea what these bites are.

We checked the entire bedroom with a fine tooth comb. Everything was vacuumed very thoroughly into a new bag, and the bag was checked. Nothing but dust and cat hair was found (we have kitties). All bedding was washed, and anything fabric in the room was tumbled on high dryer heat for 40 minutes.

The bed was dismantled. We have a white mattress and box spring and there are no signs of bugs or feces or anything. The mattress and boxes pring are pristine. We unstapled the fabric at the bottom of the boxes pring and see nothing but box spring. Outlet covers removed show nothing. Back of photo frames, lamps, alarm clocks – nada.

We put sticky tape around the base of the night tables and the four bed legs. No bedding touches the floor. We have not seen any bugs or any type sticking to the tape since we put the tape four days ago.

We do have bats that cling to the eaves outside the attic above our bedroom. There is bat guano in the attic itself. I am wondering if this might be a bat bug? The dead bug I found today in the bath tub in broad day light, again, above the attic area where there is indeed bat guano (photos #7 & 8). Also, we had nesting birds on our front porch. After the babies flew away, my husband had to take down and clean up the area, and remove the nest two weeks ago. I have no idea if any of this is relevant to IDing the bug, but…maybe? I just want to give you as much info as possible.

Can I please ask for help in identifying these bugs? If they are bedbugs, knowing the sex would help quite a bit.

Thanks for your help on this, it is deeply appreciated!

To recap photos:

Photos #1 & 2 – pieces of dead bug found in elastic of mattress pad 4 days ago
    #1 Back of dead bug - mattress pad by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

#2 Front of dead bug - mattress pad by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

Photos #3 & 4 – alive bug found in library book on floor ~ 4 feet from bed 4 days ago
    #3 Front - bug in library book alive by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

#4 Back - bug in library book by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

Photos #5& 6 – shell found in hallway ~ 6 feet from bedroom door – 3 days ago
    #5 Back - shell found in hall outside bedroom by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

#6 Front - shell found in hall outside bedroom by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

Photos #7&8 – dead bug found in bath tub - today - bath off bedroom
    #7 Back - dead bug found in bathtub by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

#8 Front - dead bug found in bathtub by doloresconsabores, on Flickr

2. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 7:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I apologize, a couple of the photos are mislabled:

The bug I said I found in the library book, was found in the bath tub.

The bug I said was found in bath tub, was actually in the library book.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 7:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Although they appear to be bedbugs they are in fact close relatives and are either bat or bird (martin/chimney swift) bugs.

You need to focus your efforts on finding the appropriate sources of them (the primary host) and seek professional help to strart treatment by excluding that host and treating back towards the property.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 7:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

THANK YOU very much! I just noticed that one has short antenna and the other long - does that make a difference?

Thank you, thank you for the help you give.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 9:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Although they appear to be bedbugs they are in fact close relatives and are either bat or bird (martin/chimney swift) bugs.

Yes, as David said. You've seen bats and these would be the hosts, at least as far as I can tell.
    The last 2 segments of the antennae have simply broken off, that's why they appear shorter.
    I'd be interested in getting any specimens you can collect, either live or dead. Let me know. You can either leave a message here or PM me.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 16:07:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Dolores ,
    Fantastic shots, would you be willing to allow their use in our new FAQ on closely related species? It's rare to see such clear images.

Please let me know here or via email. Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 18:17:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou,

I am happy to send you the bugs I have. The guy who is dealing with the bats comes tomorrow, and maybe he'll find more of these little demons. You can have whatever I have! I will PM you.

Nobugsonme, of course you can have the photos. PM me and we'll figure out the best way to get you the high res images.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 22:42:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Dolores! Much appreciated. Will do.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2014 6:33:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Dolores. I'll be waiting for the PM.

10. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2014 12:59:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, the bat guy is here now. I gave him a Ziploc baggie

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2014 15:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Great. Hopefully he can capture bugs. A paper towel is good to wipe them up (don't squish them) and place into baggie. A large baggie is good for a large collection! Place in another baggie. I often use sandwich or quart size (latter a freezer type) and then the first bag can do into a gallon size. Don't leave too much air in the bags. Let me know what happens.

12. doloresconsabores

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 8:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou,

Bat season removal starts in August. I have some dead bat bugs. When my bat guy comes back in August, I will ask for some live bat bugs. In the interim, do you want any dead ones?

This is the oddest conversation I have had in while.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams