bug ID, is any of those a bed bug?

(11 posts)
  1. mike123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 9:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

hey if found 2 bugs in my place in brooklyn. Plz help my ID, is any of those a bed bug?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 9:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

mike123 -  » 
    hey if found 2 bugs in my place in brooklyn. Plz help my ID, is any of those a bed bug?

Yes, I'm sorry . . .

Bug No. 1, bed bug or close relative (looks like it might be male (or else the black spot in it's "butt" is throwing me off making him look more like a him), not recently fed).

Bug No. 2, Shiny Spider Beetle.

Not an expert (but am confident in my IDs). . . please wait for confirmation from one.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 10:48:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug No. 1, bed bug or close relative (looks like it might be male (or else the black spot in it's "butt" is throwing me off making him look more like a him), not recently fed).

Bug No. 2, Shiny Spider Beetle.

Looks like a female bed bug. Black spot is not indicative. Has to do with abdomen morphology. The rear abdomen of a female is symmetrical, but the male is not.
    The other is a shiny spider beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 11:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou!

But just to clarify what I meant by my comment regarding the “black spot” . . .

loubugs -  » 
    Looks like a female bed bug. Black spot is not indicative.

I knew the black spot was not indicative. What I meant was it was making it appear less “symmetrical” to me possibly due to an optical illusion created by the “black spot.”

And since we’re talking about the “black spot” . . . what would that really be called? Digesting blood / fecal matter (yet to be “expelled” fecal matter that is) / stomach material? Does it have a name while it’s still “inside” the gut?

loubugs -  » 
    Has to do with abdomen morphology. The rear abdomen of a female is symmetrical, but the male is not.

Ok, to put it in terms for me (e.g. simplistic terms) . . . I translated your prior symmetrical comments and statements to simplistically mean (wrongly perhaps) as “more rounded” (female) and (“more pointy”) male. Incorrect?

So that’s why I (incorrectly mind you) thought the OP’s bed bug was possibly a male (it appeared to be more pointy to me . . . and as stated before possibly due to the optical illusion of the “black spot” (at least to me).

bbpic by picture account2012, on Flickr

And . . . so what would this one be??? (I would think male due to the pointiness??) . . . or is it just not pointy enough?!

bbpic2 by picture account2012, on Flickr

So can this simplistic terminology be applied (“more rounded” / symmetrical versus “pointy”) . . . or am I totally off base here?

Thanks again Lou!

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 11:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Abs in laymen terms , do the females simply have more rear-end curve ? , humm interesting. comparing the two pic's I'm thinking the 2nd one you posted is a recently fed male ( less body & buttox roundness)

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 11:47:00
    #

Login to Send PM

ItsJustABug -  » 
    Abs in laymen terms , do the females simply have more rear-end curve ?

Well . . . as BigDummy has stated (and I kinda based my rounded versus pointy thought process on:

BigDummy -  » 
    In all the samples I've come across a female has more than a slightly rounded bottom, unless she's full of blood.
    Same with bed bugs too...
    I'll be here all week, thank you.

ItsJustABug -  » 
    . . . I'm thinking the 2nd one you posted is a recently fed male

Hmmm . . . I think "recently fed" may be a subjective term? It appears (to me) to have some "food" in its belly (still waiting on the terminology from Lou on that one) . . .

but it also appears (again to me) to have digested some of it perhaps as the belly is not as full as it could be.

But what the time period it takes to digest a meal . . . I have NO idea . . . and we would definitely need Lou on that one!!!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 11:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, to put it in terms for me (e.g. simplistic terms) . . . I translated your prior symmetrical comments and statements to simplistically mean (wrongly perhaps) as “more rounded” (female) and (“more pointy”) male. Incorrect?
    Females have more rounded rear with a slight point in the center, but males have a cleft. See this picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/4190184458/
    Then look at these pictures, read legends and see if you understand the shapes:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/10124251005/ and
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7596374272

8. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 12:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I get it Lou at least I hope so, the male has a cleft @ the tip of the rear end point. I think I get the point now
    But I still wont venture in to sex ID's here, I'll leave that to you'll..
    An on another note of education, the book louse was alone but when its family arrived they were book lice ?

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 14:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

An on another note of education, the book louse was alone but when its family arrived they were book lice ?
    In the same apartment? They were crowded and called booklice. On another note of education, if you feel lousy, it means you are full of lice (and that's not booklice).

10. bedbugforce

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 17:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

#1 is definitely a bed bug
    #2 is not

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 17:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

#1 is definitely a bed bug
    #2 is not
    That was settled above. #2. A shiny spider beetle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug