Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Not a bed bug, just curious. [a: weevil]

(3 posts)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 22 2017 19:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed several of these bugs when I first moved into this rental and just found one on my bed, curious as to what it is exactly. I'm sure it doesn't bite but just wondering. Thanks in advance Lou!

Bug ID

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 22 2017 20:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve seen these as well outside my house... they can get quite large!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 23 2017 19:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a weevil. Looks like Otiorhynchus ovatus.
    Native to Eurasia and introduced into USA. From online site:
    Feeds on herbaceous plants (incl. strawberries) and tree seedlings in nurseries; larvae live in the soil, and feed continuously on the roots of seedlings; adults feed at night on leaves and berries.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,661 posts in 50,010 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me