Login to Send PM

Thank you!

Please let it be my paranoia.....
  2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 20:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Had to zoom in to see better, but does the top side have a zig-zag stripey pattern? If so, it *could* be a carpet beetle. One if the experts will be along to give an ID though!

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 20:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The top kinda looks black with a lil striping on its sides.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:08:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle.

If you look at the antennae they end in a large shape, unlike a bed bug.

5. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool thanks. I wonder if this could be the source of my recent itchiness/bites. This dude was found like an hour ago crawling across my bed. But it's the only one I've found and I haven't seen any larvae. I also haven't come across any BB signs either but something is getting me. Most days I find an itchy area(s) on me in the morning and can usually find a red "pin prick" in the middle of the small welt I get. Last nite I lay in bed and felt a sharp pin prick on the side of my knee under my pajama pants and the nite before that another sharp pin prick in my underarm. Weird.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

There is the possibility that the hairs from the larval stage of the carpet beetle are causing skin irritations. Search the site for larval carpet beetle setae or just carpet beetle hairs and see if that could be your issue.

7. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:25:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and another weird symptom I'm having is the inside of my ears are itchy. Was just the one ear at first now it's both. They itch more at times and less at other times. Ugh. Maybe it's unrelated like getting water in the ear....

8. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you I will do that. I'm skeptical tho cause of only seeing this one.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 5:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 hours ago  » 
    There is the possibility that the hairs from the larval stage of the carpet beetle are causing skin irritations. Search the site for larval carpet beetle setae or just carpet beetle hairs and see if that could be your issue.

It happens that the adult beetle that is pictured (Anthrenus sp.) is one dermestid whose larva does possess these particular defensive hairs (hastisetae).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 8:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you loubugs! I'm guessing I need to find/see more of these to verify they are what's causing my skin reactions? I wonder if there is a "nest" of larvae somewhere, and if there is would I be able to locate it?

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 5:08:22
    #

Login to Send PM

BiteInTheNite - 20 hours ago  » 
    Thank you loubugs! I'm guessing I need to find/see more of these to verify they are what's causing my skin reactions? I wonder if there is a "nest" of larvae somewhere, and if there is would I be able to locate it?

There is no nest - the insects don't live social insects such as bees, ants, termites. You will find the larvae in a good food source and shed skins there, too. Often the adult beetle, during part of its life, will be attracted to windows and light. Larvae are often in and under furniture if these sit on carpeting, especially if the carpeting is wool. Padding can be horsehair. Along and under molding surrounding rooms where floors and walls meet. Boxed items under beds and in closets.

12. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 10:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh thank you for that info! I had googled "carpet beetle nest" and did get lots of hits and pics that basically showed or talked about "nests" so I was under the impression there was prob a nest I needed to locate. So I appreciate the professional input cause google can be so contradictory and full of bad info.

I plan on a serious deep clean of my bedroom, hopefully I can get it all complete today, thus far I've found 4 larvae casings in my antique desser but nothing in the actual drawers or on the clothes in the drawers. And I'm def being cautious about saying I've solved the source of my bites/skin reactions yet....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,181 posts in 50,133 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92