Bug ID and advice please [a: female bed bug]

(7 posts)
  1. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 17:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So I was cleaning my sons room today and found this under the dog's crate which is beside his bed. I'm 95% sure it's a bed bug. Expert confirmation would be appreciated as well as any opinions on whether it's a male or a female. No other signs or symptoms of bed bugs at this point (after checking beds, baseboards, etc.). All bedding has been washed, curtains as well. Also vacuumed around baseboards really well. Any other precautions to take at this point?

IMG_0457 by Gene Gray, on Flickr

2. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 9:43:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Still hoping for ID on this bug please!!!!

3. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 9:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I can take a better picture if it would be helpful. I just realized this one is kind of dark

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 10:39:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks bedbug related.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 11:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a female bed bug and certainly could have been feeding on the dog and/or your son. Picture is low resolution. ID pictures should be high resolution and largest picture size.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 13:01:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh! The fact that's it's a female concerns me. Now I worry it was pregnant when it hitchhiked to my house... Any recommendations on whether investing in a pco to come inspect would be worthwhile? We do have a local company that has a trained dog. My dog has had bumps on her chin for quite some time now. I assumed they were heat rash as she tends to get this, but now I wonder if she was being bit while in her crate. Just not sure how to proceed in terms of maintaining my sanity and managing this before it becomes a bigger issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As noted above, I already washed all bedding, curtains, vacuumed around baseboards and inspected the bed and surrounding furniture. My son is very reactive to insect bites and he has no signs of bites.

7. Canuck

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 13:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Canine-assisted inspection would be a good bet...ensure the team verifies an alert by looking for physical evidence. Also recommend a certified team - that has been tested by a third party agency (not related to the dog) within the last twelve months, such as WDDO or NESDCA. You can verify a certification with these agencies websites.

Otherwise, look for fecal evidence near where the bug was found - baseboards, dog bed, etc., and monitor.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970