Bug ID

(18 posts)
  1. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 9:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you tell me what kind of bug this is? Really hoping you will say it's not what I think it is.

2. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 9:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

3. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 9:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't see the picture but I'm trying to get it loaded. If you can see it even if you can't ID it can you tell me please.

bug picture link

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 10:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes its a bedbug or close relative.

Time to read through the FAQ's.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 14:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

David I read through a lot of the FAQ last night. I was pretty sure that it was a bedbug. I have a call into an exterminator to get them out here. I do however have 2 questions I didn't find.

1. Doesn't washing clothes on hot water make them shrink? A lot of my clothes say cold wash only.

2. We don't own a dryer. We only use a clothes line so is there another way to handle stuffed animals? We also only have a small freezer that's attached to our fridge.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 14:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Where are you located?

7. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 14:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Oklahoma

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 14:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, you'll want to bag your stuff up and hit a laundromat. No need to wash in high heat, just use the dryer. Just wanted to clarify that you are in a country that has dryers available.

9. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 15:14:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Do I need to worry about clothes shrinking? If they say line dry only?

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 15:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If there isn't blood or grease on 'em they're not dirty. That's about how I handle laundry. I cannot advise on laundering specifics, wrong forum.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 16:03:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Kari - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Do I need to worry about clothes shrinking? If they say line dry only?

Shrinking occurs if wet and then high heat if the fabric can't take it. Just heat shouldn't bother it since it is dry when just in closet or in drawers.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 16:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We have an appointment monday for an exterminator but my husband really wants to use a bug bomb asap to see if it will handle them because they are only in one room as of now. But I've read those don't work. Can anyone tell me why they dont work? Or is it worth a try? We got quoted $600 for our 400 sq ft tiny house and that will wipe us out so hes searching for a cheaper option.

13. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 16:18:49
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no magic bullet. Either you do the hard work or you pay someone to do the hard work for you. There are many threads on the use of bombs, use the search feature.

14. SalsaVince

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 16:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

They won't be just in one room after you use that bomb. Then, you'll be spending more money trying and more time trying to fight them when you could have easily contained them to just one room and eliminated them quickly. Bombs spread bugs. They will kill some bugs but the ones that escape will run away and be in places they normally wouldn't be interested in going making it much harder to know where to treat. If you are dead set on self treatment to save money, there are better ways than bombs. Read up on David Cain's information. How many bugs are you seeing and how often are you getting bites?

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  15. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 16:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not set on doing it ourselves. But my husband thinks we should try because the money we will be spending on the exterminator was supposed to pay our midwife.

We are only seeing bugs in our bedroom. I've found 1 to 2 of them about every other day and probably get bit about every other day. We have no carpet or rugs in the house. But we do have bags of clothes that our kids have out grown under our bed. We live in a tiny house so our room is very tight quarters but I think because it is the farthest from the rest of the living space has helped them not spread.

I've spent over 5 hours the last 2 days reading through things and just want to make the best decision for us.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 17:05:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If it’s a low level case and you can follow clear instructions and adapt them to your circumstances rather than rushing have a look at my TbyPMR protocol.

My concern with sporadic low level will always be getting to the source and making sure it’s dealt with but that becomes clear when you start working through the document.

It’s tough work which is why people charge and frankly if you can’t build flat pack don’t attempt self treatment.

Hope that helps.

David

17. Kari

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 18:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

David where can I find this paper? I have used the search button and can not find it. We are fine with taking our time and making sure we get them all. I just don't want to read everything online and not know what will really work and won't work.

18. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 21:04:00
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a link to his site in his user profile.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,300 posts in 49,235 topics over 152 months by 21,583 of 22,004 members. Latest: looking2identify, Robbysee, Elephant88