Bug ID

(5 posts)
  1. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 19:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So, on 4th of July I found this bug at about 2 am just chilling on my floor in my room (near the entrance). As per usual for me, I took a pic and then flushed it. Didn't think it was a bed bug at all, but almost a week later I saw a picture that looked like it and the response there was that it was a kissing bug. I know this isn't exactly bed bug related, but I'd really like this to be identified if it can be via these pics.

https://i.imgur.com/DFTMNyo.jpg?1
    https://i.imgur.com/OPz89FP.jpg?1
    https://i.imgur.com/V2lmpVf.jpg?1

2. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 19:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like some sort of Weevil.

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  3. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 20:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope so. That isn't a common bug I've seen in my house, so I guess it'd be good to know it's something harmless rather than potentially harmful.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 21:39:47
    #

Login to Send PM

DeepBreath - 2 hours ago  » 
    So, on 4th of July I found this bug at about 2 am just chilling on my floor in my room (near the entrance). As per usual for me, I took a pic and then flushed it. Didn't think it was a bed bug at all, but almost a week later I saw a picture that looked like it and the response there was that it was a kissing bug. I know this isn't exactly bed bug related, but I'd really like this to be identified if it can be via these pics.

It is a weevil. Looks nothing like a kissing bug. Elongated snout has elbowed antennae - weevil. Plus its beetle characteristics. Lesson -- don't throw away evidence.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 2:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

DeepBreath - 2 hours ago  » 

It is a weevil. Looks nothing like a kissing bug. Elongated snout has elbowed antennae - weevil. Plus its beetle characteristics. Lesson -- don't throw away evidence.

Thanks for the lesson and the ID.

It seems obvious that I should keep evidence but my family doesn't take me seriously when I say how uncomfortable I am about bugs (yes I know most are harmless) and would probably dismiss anything I keep.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,376 posts in 46,780 topics over 142 months by 20,642 of 21,536 members. Latest: dhoomkethu619, Sybert224, Cannotdeal