Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bug ID

(7 posts)
  1. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 2:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Caught this little guy on my mattress a couple days ago, didn't think before I squashed him, hopefully someone can still identify it. Still finding some black fecal spots, not stains, they turn to mush when they come into contact with liquid, almost like grains of dirt or resin but I'm not a smoker. Not the typical bed bug poo I've seen which tends to stick to the surface. Was very late at night so I hastily took a few pics with my phone. Will try to get better quality if I come across another one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141980540@N06/41786565825/in/dateposted-public/

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 5:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

zelchbug - 3 hours ago  » 
    Caught this little guy on my mattress a couple days ago, didn't think before I squashed him, hopefully someone can still identify it. Still finding some black fecal spots, not stains, they turn to mush when they come into contact with liquid, almost like grains of dirt or resin but I'm not a smoker. Not the typical bed bug poo I've seen which tends to stick to the surface. Was very late at night so I hastily took a few pics with my phone. Will try to get better quality if I come across another one.

Not a bed bug but can't tell much more because the creature is out of focus when zooming in .

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 14:12:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 8 hours ago  » 

Not a bed bug but can't tell much more because the creature is out of focus when zooming in .

Thanks Lou! I figured it might be a flea, saw something fly from my mattress onto the floor last night out of the corner of my eye. Found a few fecal deposits over the last couple weeks, just got a bed bug cover for my box spring today. Not sure if there is any way to differentiate between bed bug and flea poo.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 15:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

zelchbug - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 8 hours ago  » 

Thanks Lou! I figured it might be a flea, saw something fly from my mattress onto the floor last night out of the corner of my eye. Found a few fecal deposits over the last couple weeks, just got a bed bug cover for my box spring today. Not sure if there is any way to differentiate between bed bug and flea poo.

Didn't look like a flea and you said that it looked like it flew to the floor. Flea feces are very dry and will be small amounts. Bed bug feces start out more wet, even from first instar nymphs, they seem to adhere to substrates.

5. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 16:13:18
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 19 minutes ago  » 

zelchbug - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 8 hours ago  » 

Didn't look like a flea and you said that it looked like it flew to the floor. Flea feces are very dry and will be small amounts. Bed bug feces start out more wet, even from first instar nymphs, they seem to adhere to substrates.

Thanks! I'm thinking if anything bed bug related is going on it's a light infestation. Just for future reference do products like Ecoraider work for light infestations? Not going to spend money to treat without solid evidence but I'm in a time crunch here so if I do come across something I'm wondering if that's a viable option.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 8:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Ecoraider has had mixed reviews. Some tests have shown that it efficacious.

7. zelchbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 19:44:38
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 hours ago  » 
    Ecoraider has had mixed reviews. Some tests have shown that it efficacious.

Seems mostly positive but there were definitely some negative reviews too, thanks again for the feedback.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,789 posts in 45,873 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss