(8 posts)
  1. Foureyedmongoose

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 17:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

https://imgur.com/a/TGjbC

The first picture was taken a couple days after going camping and I thought maybe it was just some regular ol bug bites but then someone commented that it looks like it's in a pattern that of bed bugs. That night i pretty much inspected everything in my bedroom, no blood stains, no fecal spots, no live bugs that I could find. On the last stretch of my box frame I came across a husk, seen in the second picture (is this a bed bug molt? Are those little white specs eggs?) After that I took all my bed sheets, pillows, blankets, all my clothes in all my drawers and what not and put them all through the dryer while inspecting my dressers and still found no other signs. I put allerease(brand name included in case you guys know something I don't about whether or not it's effective) mattress covers on my mattress and box frame and did a general clean up on my apartment. This morning I awake to picture #3. Does it look like bug bites? It's kinda itchy and what not. Can you guys help me out? What do you think?

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 18:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Photos 1 & 3 look a little like poison ivy/oak. Is it possible, while camping, you may have brushed past some? (I can't say a thing about photo 2- that requires a pro)

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. Foureyedmongoose

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 18:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

It is certainly possible I could have brushed up against some ivy/oak during my camping trip and would provide me much ease of mind if that is the case. I also have a question as to the droppings/blood smear that bed bugs supposedly leave behind. Do they leave them directly after feeding like real near or do they wait to go back to where they hide before they leave droppings?

4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 21:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Foureyedmongoose - 2 hours ago  » 
    I also have a question as to the droppings/blood smear that bed bugs supposedly leave behind. Do they leave them directly after feeding like real near or do they wait to go back to where they hide before they leave droppings?

I cannot speak to 'the usual way' or any typical habits but I know on our ground zero couch bed, the fecal droppings (and eggs, and skin casings) were mostly in harborage areas, with blood dots (prob rolled over on a bug) here and there around the sheet/pillow case. Fecal drops were like small (1mm) black sharpie dots, blood spots were around an eighth or quarter inch (2-4mm) red/brown.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 6:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The insect shed skin is that of a bed bug. The white blotches could possibly be pale metabolic waste spots (nitrogenous waste) from the bed bug, but I'm not quite sure. These are deposited by bed bugs as a result of digestion of blood in addition to dark fecal waste spots. The skin lesions are consistent with bed bug feeding.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 10:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

☹️ damn! I was so hoping, for your sake, that it was poison ivy! The cast skin did look like a BB to me, but I'll never say because I don't know for sure.

If you're not sure what's next, start a new thread asking advice.... good luck hun!!

7. Foureyedmongoose

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 14:06:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I was pretty sure the casing was of that of a bed bug. Also are you implying that both pictures are consistent with bites? Because I just recently starting using a backpack I had used during the camping trip to carry stuff to and from work, which is why I'm clinging to poison ivy on at least the third photo

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 8 2017 16:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Foureyedmongoose - 2 hours ago  » 
    I was pretty sure the casing was of that of a bed bug. Also are you implying that both pictures are consistent with bites? Because I just recently starting using a backpack I had used during the camping trip to carry stuff to and from work, which is why I'm clinging to poison ivy on at least the third photo

The consistency of the skin lesions to bed bug bites doesn't rule out the etiological agent being poison ivy. Find live (plump!) bugs and you have a better reason to believe they are from bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur