http://imgur.com/a/3ZZyNkY

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 11:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not a bedbug. Once you appreciate what to look for it actually looks nothing like a bedbugs beyond 6 legs. The reality is that you need to keep a calm mind in order to see the detail and that once people start to panic everything starts to look like it might be a bedbug.

The only solution is education and understanding.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 11:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

What part of that looks like a bed bug to you? I can break it down if you tell me your concerns.

4. dude

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 11:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

it has no neck, its flat oval body and the lines on the abdomen all look similar to bed bugs

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 14:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I can work with that.

Look at the size and shape of the head. Also compare the antennae. Many insects appear to have little to no "neck," check out some beetles and you will see.
    The segmenting on your sample's abdomen is different than that of a bed bug, but the difference isn't drastic enough for most folks to be able to pick out right away, so I'll skip the comparison. It may be easier for you to just keep in mind that a segmented abdomen is a fairly common trait, not limited to bed bugs or close relatives.
    And look at those legs. Your sample's legs look pretty well built, long and powerful. Compared to a bed bug these legs are different in length, overall design and thickness.

Hope that helps.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 15:14:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures aren't high enough resolution and have been zoomed in so not as clear as can be. I thought was another true bug at first, maybe an outdoor species, but further examination of other pictures makes me think phorid fly, one that has recently eclosed from the pupal stage.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. dude

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 15:18:18
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks lou.

I actually caught the bug but squished it by accident when trying to catch it. after seeing it had wings I felt a sigh of relief.

I know bed bugs dont fly but do they have wings or something that resembles wings?

http://imgur.com/a/81uwTMp

8. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 15:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

dude - 39 minutes ago  » 
    thanks lou.
    I actually caught the bug but squished it by accident when trying to catch it. after seeing it had wings I felt a sigh of relief.
    I know bed bugs dont fly but do they have wings or something that resembles wings?
    http://imgur.com/a/81uwTMp

They have wing plates, but those don‘t resemble wings at all. The insect in the picture has clearly real wings and hasn‘t any resemblance with a bb at all.

9. dude

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Oct 29 2019 16:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

what was weird though was that it didnt even try to fly. it was just running around on the door. even when I was trying to catch it, it was not flying

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69