Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Boyfriend has bugs. I just found one... what now?

(10 posts)
  1. Chicago Bugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 2:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have stayed at my boyfriend's place 3 times in the last 3 weeks and came home with bites. We just realized what it is. He found bugs in his place. I found one on my mattress. I have vaccummed the entire room, put the few things (purse, etc.) that were near my bed outside in cold overnight, am washing ALL clothes in hot water. Exterminator was here yesterday; said he just found "2 suspicious stains" on the mattress, but no bugs and nothing on box spring. He sprayed entire room with Cryonite. Is it possible that I caught this fast enough? Should just doing the above solve my problem? I really need some advice!!

2. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 12:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Putting things in the cold overnight unless extremely cold is unlikley to work. I wish it did. I've got -17 C and some say its not good enough.

If items can be placed in a hot dryer that is the better course. Can you wwrap your purse in a piilow case , tie it off and run it in the dryer? If you can, make sure it's open so that the heat penetrates to all areas. Open zippers, too. If you have a dryer shelf, even better.

You need to get temperatures up to 120 F and maintian them for at least an hour for a purse.

If you can afford it, order a PackTite. I'd kep the items outdoors until you come up with a plan.

3. Chicago Bugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 15:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much! Just ran purses in dryer on maximum for an hour. I did all this stuff the second I found out he has them, but I did see one BB at my place. Is it possible that the above precautions and the Cryonite treatment could've solved the problem at my house? I never did get bit here. Should I still buy a mattress cover? Thanks again!

4. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 16:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You are welcome.

I'd ask the PCO what he recommends.

Has he thoroughly examined your mattress and box spring? This involves looking at all seams, in the tufts, under buttons(if you have them) around cording. Turning it every direction. Similarly the box spring needs to be overturned and perhaps even the gauze /cheesecloth cover removed. Use a fllahlight to inspect every corner and crevice. Look under staples and the plastic caps that are found on box springs

Do you know what you are looking for? Black and brownish spots, cast skins,blood, pepper-like flakes, and perhaps an actual bug.

If you are satisfied that none are there then maybe encasement is a good idea. Make sure you purchase encasements that are recommended on this site. Some people use a mattress encasement on their box spring. Make sure not to tear the encasements. Box springs and bed frames have sharp places.

If you do encase and there are bed bugs, you will have to keep the box spring and mattress encased for at leat 18 months and routinley inspect for tears. .

I have encasements on my bed.

Make sure that you dispose of the vacuum bag. If ther eare bedbugs or eggs, your infestation can grow in the bag.

5. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 16:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the bite. Folks here say that bites are not determinative either way. By that , they mean that some people have bbs but don't react to the bites. Other people have bites or things that look like bites but they don't have bbs. Note also that there is sometimes a delay in the time you are bitten and the time you react, if you do react at all.

6. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 16:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

There's confusion out there regarding temperature and time. This risks ruining a lot of stuff unnecessarily.

Bugs die after about 10 minutes at about 115F.
    Bugs die instantly at about 125F.
    Bugs can be killed at 105, too, but it takes longer.

Key is to get every bit of the item to the right temperature for the sufficient time period, so you need to run the dryer or PackTite for longer than the above, but not necessarily an hour. Having an instant read thermometer and a trial run are very helpful.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  7. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 17:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a remote digital read thermometer and a dryer shelf. I placed my purse with a probe in the interior and it took at least an hout to get a read of 120F. Husband's shoe-much longer.

8. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 17:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Chicago, it sounds as if you and boyfriend should be in the monitering phase. You have seen a bug, youve had the PCO come out, I would get some climbups for the bed and a passive alert moniter to attach to the bed. If you find another bug, SAVE it. on a taped piece of card. Thats your best evidence of a problem. Second best is finding an area where they are leaving fecal, usually on wood, but can be on anything. A mattress cover is a good idea as well.

Since you and the boy both have them, congratulations! You can still hang out. You may find yourself arguing over which of you has it worse. I would recommend that you take very little between houses and even keep a set of bed clothes at each other's place and immediately place your street clothes in a ziplock on arrival at the other or your own houses.

9. Chicago Bugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 16:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone! I just ordered a passive monitor and I bought one of the reccommended mattress covers and put that on the mattress after the Cryonite treatment. So, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about my place, but his has not been treated yet.
    My boyfriend came over today. I asked him to shower right before. I also had him wash and dry a set of clean clothes, put them in a plastic bag out of dryer and change into them when he got here. I know that I sound completely paranoid, but I guess I am right now. Are these the right precautions to prevent him from spreading them here?
    I HATE THIS!!!!

10. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 18:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like youre good for now. Yes, have him keep to a protocol. Just mention the costs associated with treating bed bugs and say its a small price to pay. I would also recommend getting (and maybe buying your boy) a few large or x-large ziplock bags. You can buy them online or at some home depots.

Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies