Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Boyfriend has bed bugs at his apartment - How to protect my apartment?

(4 posts)
  1. Peekabo9

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 11:34:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone,

I have several bites all over my back and legs that are very very obviously bed bugs. I got them the last two times I have spent the night at my boyfriend's house (I didn't realize they were bed bug bites at first - and he apparently doesn't react to the bites because he has no marks at all). He inspected his apartment and he, indeed, has bed bugs living in the seams of his mattress.

I have checked my apartment and I don't see any bugs, and I have not gotten bitten any night when I've slept at my apartment. However, I am terrified that I am somehow going to bring them back to my place (or already have), either on clothes, in my purse, or on my person. I have an exterminator coming in two days to inspect, and in the meantime I'm sleeping at a friend's house (I bought a couple of cheap, bed bug-free outfits for now).

My question is - what proactive steps can I take (besides not going back to my boyfriends house for now, obviously) to prevent my apartment from getting infested? I have two roommates and I think if i were responsible for a bed bug outbreak they'd try and make me move out.

Thanks anyoen who can help!

2. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 22:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

There's no risk-free method, but I can give some tips. Take them with a grain of salt, as I am a reader and not a pro:

1. If you're going to keep visiting your boyfriend's house, he really needs to exterminate the bugs. See if he can hire a pro; if not, see if he can self treat. If they're in the seams of his mattress, it sounds like he needs to start ASAP.

2. Don't bring bags to his house.

3. Inspect yourself when you leave the house; shake out your pockets and check your shoes.

4. Throw all clothes into the dryer when you get home.

5. Leave your shoes outside, or heat them safely with a packtite or something similar.

6. Inspect your home regularly. Think about buying monitors.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I saw you had no replies and figure I should add something.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 23:29:15
    #

Login to Send PM

There's also a FAQ on how to avoid bringing bed bugs home when traveling, which is relevant. It's in the Travel FAQs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 13 2012 23:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be safer for him to visit you if he follows traveling protocol. I stayed with a friend during my infestation every now and again.

I only had one visitor to help me out. The risks are higher that way.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69