Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Box Springs vs Slats

(4 posts)
  1. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 3:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Having grown up with box springs all my life (or just never having paid attention while traveling outside the States), I never even knew about slats until my recent readings on here. Now, while I know this wouldn't be great enough reason alone to get them, I'm curious if the experts (or anyone else) on here feel that slats are less likely to harbor BBs than box springs?

I was thinking there'd be fewer places for them to hide, but, then again, looking at something basic like the Sultan Laxeby that IKEA carries, that might actually not be the case at all. But possibly easier to examine, at least?

While I can personally think of a few other benefits to these for my own case, like lowering my bed height, being easier for me to move, if need be, I'm very curious about any BB pro/cons with these!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 7:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A simple wooden slatted bed is much easier to professionally treat than a box frame style bed. You literally do not need to do the same level of cosmetic damage to it to get the same level of treatment efficacy.

This is why my optimisation guide focused on this type of furniture as opposed to covering hints and tips for all the various types.

If you have not found the guide its well worth a read:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedoptimisationfirstdraft.pdf

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 13:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh! I've seen you mention bed treatment a few times in other threads and was wondering if you had all that info somewhere. Thanks!

Your guide is mostly based around basic flat slats though right? What about the kind I linked to above, where they're designed to have some spring to them? I'd imagine they're quite a bit harder to seal up with all the moving parts and all.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 10 2013 13:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The guide was written based on images provided of a standard bunk bed. The principles discussed in the guide will cover all eventualities and the methods can be adapted to deal with what you find in a "sprung slatted" bed.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies