Bought a used couch, wasn't so clean, how to do due diligence

(1 post)
  1. paranoidmuch

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 16 2019 8:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought a used couch through a friend-of-a-friend. I bought it without looking at it first because they told me they'd deliver it. They assured me it was clean and I trusted everyone involved. It turned out not-so-clean. It's the kind where the cushions don't come up themselves so stuff gets all in the cracks. I found a disgusting collection of crumbs, lollipop sticks, dental picks, legos, bandaid wrappers, hair pins, cat hair, and other gross things in there. I rented an upholstery cleaner and got it pretty well cleaned up, and it's actually in pretty good shape otherwise. But, I am a mild OCD case so all this gross-ness triggered me worrying about bed bugs in this thing. I should not have bought it. (Talking to the therapist tomorrow)

I'm looking for a product or procedure I can use to do some due diligence to be reasonably secure that the thing is bug free, to ease my mind a little bit. I could just pitch it, but that actually wouldn't ease my mind because at this point the theoretical bugs could already have migrated elsewhere. I'm stuck with it for the time being. I still may end up pitching it, but I don't want to make a hasty decision based on paranoia. I'd like to make the decision with a clearer head.

I bought some bbalert "active" bed bug monitors and they are shipping now, but after I bought them I saw some mixed reviews on how well they work. Now I think maybe climbup interceptors would have been better. Any other ideas?

I've had the couch for five nights, it's maybe 15-20 feet down the hallway from my bed. No bites or anything, and I haven't seen any bugs or evidence of bugs while cleaning the couch. So I'm pretty certain I'm ok, just want to do a little extra.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback