Bought a new house that had guests

(9 posts)
  1. Solo Geo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 14:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought my first house for me and my family and was very happy. Then my youngest daughter started getting bite after a bout a week of moving in. My wife and I cleaned the place top to bottom shampooing the carpets vacuuming out the base board and so forth before moving in.

once we id the bug in question I freaked out a little move my youngest in with my second oldest and closed of the room. keep in mind I live in remote Alaska there is no pros here to help rid myself of these little blood suckers. I run across this form while researching and it had some greet information and give me a starting point, but also the post of the never ending nightmare for some dashed my hope of ever really getting rid of the buggers.

Its been 3 months now since I started combat with these bugs and I believe I'm make head way and before you ask yes these things are now or have been in very bed room.

what I have done so far.
    I have 2 large zapbug cookers been using them on small items, battery power toys ect..
    continued to clean very room daily
    sprayed each room with pesticide
    using the white powder (not really sure how to spell it) the earth stuff
    these steps have been my life over the last few months and my youngest and my wife as unlucky as there are, are still showing new bit marks and i am not seeing any dead bugs from the treatments.

this next section is a do not do let a pro do it. (as I live in remote Alaska I had no choice)

So last week I planned a new attack Heat treating rooms. (yes this is a fire hazard) ( I am a trained firefighter and took steps to eliminate some but not all the hazards)

Over the weekend I did two rooms (yes I know one room at a time in not the best way the whole house at once is the right way) using some box fans and a kerosene heater. I was able to get the rooms to 200 F for 9 hours each then allowed them to cold down on there own over night.
    After doing that i went in and clean the room and I won the battle dead bed bug everywhere on the floor in both rooms. I was so happy.
    Now my plan is to get a few more heater and fans and do 3 or more rooms at a time over the next month once a week and hope this frees me from my bug Problem. I will continue to spray every two weeks as well for the 1,2 combo.

Any thoughts on what else i could do would me great Thank you.

Once again i do not endorse doing this kind of heat treatment on your own, If you have access to Pros let them do it. You could burn your house down..

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 17:05:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The tighter the schedule the better for heating individual rooms.

3. Solo Geo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 17:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

so i want to heat these rooms more often like every couple of days?

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 29 2019 12:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Think of what you're trying to control, the more time that passes between treating sections the more time bed bugs have to move (or be moved) and infest those already treated areas.
    Best case is of course to treat the house all at once, but since that is not an option I would treat each room in succession as quickly as possible. The more variables you control the smaller the chance of those rooms harboring bed bugs after they have already been treated.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 29 2019 12:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

How are you monitoring the temperature on the floor and near windows and doors? If there are cold spots in these areas it could cause problems. Is this a house on a cement slab or is it raised above the ground with a crawlspace?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 29 2019 14:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To have a hope of being successful you would need to treat all the rooms that have an issue at the same time and to ensure each room has zero cold spots. This later part is the huge learning curve and while your fire activities may help you you have to think in reverse because its about ensuring it all gets to temp.

My advice would be risk it once by all means if you have advanced understanding of heat but once you get the initial knock down switch to something more feasible to clear up the ones that have found the cold spots.

Taking on board your remote location and the need to self treat I would advise a plan based on:

• Stop and thoroughly understand this issue
    • Look up my TbyPMR protocol
    • Adapt to your home and circumstances
    • One big push and co-ordinated effort
    • Ongoing avoidance to prevent introduction in the same way others may have
    • Routine monitoring moving forward

Equally if you can find out what the previous occupants had attempted in terms of treatment that could really help you.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Solo Geo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 30 2019 16:09:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    To have a hope of being successful you would need to treat all the rooms that have an issue at the same time and to ensure each room has zero cold spots. This later part is the huge learning curve and while your fire activities may help you you have to think in reverse because its about ensuring it all gets to temp.
    My advice would be risk it once by all means if you have advanced understanding of heat but once you get the initial knock down switch to something more feasible to clear up the ones that have found the cold spots.
    Taking on board your remote location and the need to self treat I would advise a plan based on:

• Stop and thoroughly understand this issue
    • Look up my TbyPMR protocol
    • Adapt to your home and circumstances
    • One big push and co-ordinated effort
    • Ongoing avoidance to prevent introduction in the same way others may have
    • Routine monitoring moving forward

Equally if you can find out what the previous occupants had attempted in terms of treatment that could really help you.
    Hope that makes sense.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

the previous owner had no idea there was a problem. However he now knows there was and why his new wife is being bite in the new house he bought but he has moved to the lower 48 and has access to a PCO.

as for the current why i have been keeping track of the temp is with 3 temp probes one at floor level one at middle and one near the ceiling. these temps are sent to my phone via wifi and i use an ir thermometer when i enter the room. with that i check under the bed around dressers and the closet. I currently waiting on 3 more heaters and 9 fan to arrive once these are here i will restart treating rooms this will cover every bed room in the house. (only place with carpet) my chairs and couches will be place in the smaller rooms. I currently work 50 hr work weeks it is hard to be more proactive. I am aiming more for control then eructation at the moment.

8. Solo Geo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Jan 30 2019 16:18:35
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 day ago  » 
    How are you monitoring the temperature on the floor and near windows and doors? If there are cold spots in these areas it could cause problems. Is this a house on a cement slab or is it raised above the ground with a crawlspace?

this is house has a fully finished basement with a apartment on one site(not currently rented out I refuse to rent it out until the blood suckers are gone) my first goal is to control the problem in the rooms where we sleep to start. when the rest of the equipment arrives my plan is to treat the room below and above each other at the same time keeping the blood suckers from retreating to a lower or upper level.

9. Solo Geo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 15:48:48
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE

So I have been heat 3 room at a time that are connected making sure that the middle room is always hot. so far there has been no sign of the blood sucks and i'm felling good. at this point i will continue my rotation of room heating for a few weeks and go to monitoring. My hope is i have won the war but i don't want to be premature in my victory.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234