Books, Packtite, and other things

(7 posts)
  1. Alterity

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 17:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, we got a Packtite because we have Bed Bugs (yay!). We have lots and lot of books and the kids have stuffed animals galore. I have used the packtite on the stuffed animals, clothes, book bags, and now books.

Stuffed animals: I've put the thermometer into the stuffed animals when I'ved could, and then when the temp reached 120, left them in there for an extra 2-3 hours. But I took out the barbie dolls and their "hair" still felt cool. Should I just bag the barbies for 18 months?

Books: I've now had the books in there for 4 hours and, while the temperture is going up, it has not reached 120 degrees. How long does it take for books?

Back packs: had a similar problem with backbacks -- all leather. Had them in there with some books (not many) all night long, and after 6 hours they had just reached 120 degrees, so I left them in there 2 more hours.

So basic question: are these times right, or should I have my Packtite checked? BTW, I did put clothes in there, and they felt hot when it was done, and it took only a little while to heat them up, and left them in there for 2 hours or so.

Thanks. I just have a lot of books to go through

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 5:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Which PackTite are you using. I know the older model is actually slower at getting to temp so when dealing with books and dense items we tend to lead less into it. The closet however we find to be a lot more efficient and can take full runs and still get up to temperature faster.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. babygrand1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 10:18:40
    #

Login to Send PM

We have the old version of the Packtite, and for some (really thick) books, I had to run it for up to 10 hours. It was a long ordeal...

4. Alterity

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 10:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. We just bought it off of Amazon. Didn't know there was a difference between the old version and the new.. I guess it will just take more time to get things done. The PCO will be here Friday. In the meantime, I guess we will double bag stuff and put it in the garage. I don't like it, but I'm running it 24 hours right now.

Thanks for the replies.

5. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 12:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Like you I wanted to make sure that every last item in my home was treated and I baked every single book in my packtite and some of the spines were damaged during the process. Not expensive books but ones I use especially the cookbooks. I think if I was doing this again I would inspect them carefully and perhaps if doubtful seal them and leave them for a year or so rather than go through the days of processing the books unless there was evidence of the bookcase area being infested. I think bedbugs tend to be around the bed and sitting areas where you spend the most time. Treating every book may be overkill but you have to use your judgment I guess.

6. Alterity

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 13:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

bbgirl, thanks. Yeah, I would like to do that, and maybe I will with the fiction. But most of my books are ones I'm using regularly for research, so I can't pack them away for a year. I'd love to. Good advice though.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 22:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Alterity...if you don't mind updating once you are done...I posted once about this and no one responded. I had two books, a new book from a bookstore and had also borrowed a book from a co-worker. I came home and put both in the my packtite closet. When I took them out the next day, I noticed what looked like a Sharpie mark (1-2 inches) on the side of the new book. I know this sounds dumb, but I was surprised to see some sort of bug fecal on a new book. I know it wasn't on either book when I got it. So, if you have time, please post if you have anything like this happen. It made me appreciate the Packtite (vs seeing that one morning on the my nightstand). I rarely read in bed anymore but I will read a hot packtited book and then place it in a ziploc before going to sleep.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,433 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams