Books, laptop, art papers, nick-nacks

(18 posts)
  1. Wen

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 15 2013 23:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I just found out I got bed bugs for the first time here in Portland, Oregon.

You posted:

"Keep in mind with books-- they may not be infested. Do you have reason to think so? Carefully inspecting them (page by page, looking in the binding of hardbacks, and checking endpapers) can go a long way."

The main things I want to keep are my computer and books.
    Please tell me if I Inspect the books carefully, and bag, box, bag, and store for two years, I can forget this night mere? What about my laptop?

I feel like washing my clothes and just walking away, I have 2 more months on my lease. I cant believe I have to pay them for this wonderful experience…I know I'm just venting…:(

I dont have much stuff, living in a studio, but I do have art supplies, art papers, paper portfolio, and my books.

I think its early in the infestation as I had no bugs for months and then got roaches and bed bugs in one week. I think they sprayed another apt or something. I slept with my light on last night and caught 3 bugs wandering around. I sealed my mattress and pillows and put sticky tape all around my bed platform to see if I can keep them off my bed . I saw one walking towards my kitty this morning on her bed as she slept, they are all fat with blood. The first morning I woke up and saw them about 2 days ago my kitty ran over to them and yowled at me, like see!!! This is what I have been dealing with every night.

Anyway Im freaked and have hardly slept

Please help, feed back, comfort, advice
    Thanks Wen

2. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 6:37:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I,m not an expert on BB,s but when I first fiquired I had them and got done freaking out I called a PCO who came out to house to confirm that what was biting me was BB,s. My cellphone takes lousy pics and same with my camera so I couldn,t send pics to this site for experts to see. By the way, the PCO didn,t charge to come out to house. 100% confirmation is important. How about person you lease from? Would they by law be financially responsible to pay for treatment? If so you could ask PCO what to do with your books when he comes out first time to make his inspection. Read up about the use of pest strips in the Faqs on top of this page. Also click on one of the tags up top that says "Books,Laptops" to see what other people have done. By the way, my cat found one on couch before I steamed it and practically every other peice of furniture in house. Hey, you might want to seal your boxspring too. Some of the experts are against bed encasement but I like the peace of mind. Also I,ve found that the climbups work much better then sticky tape. Some people have made there own. Just remember that this is not the end of the world and you will get thru it. Good Luck!

3. Wen

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Needrest, did you get rid of the bedbugs all together?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You may want to read this FAQ on decontaminating "stuff" from bedbugs:

http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

It should answer all your questions.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Wen

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I'm so depressed this is so screwed

6. Wen

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Oldtimer, The bug man is supposed to come today. treatment. my new mattress cover has bugs on it (I took off and put them in a jar) do I
    wash it with the other stuff or leave it on the bed? for him? …confused

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Wen - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Oldtimer, . . .

Hey DC!!!! I think she is talking to you!!! (Sorry I just found that extemely funny!)

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Wen - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Oldtimer, The bug man is supposed to come today. treatment. my new mattress cover has bugs on it (I took off and put them in a jar) do I
    wash it with the other stuff or leave it on the bed? for him? …confused

Hi Wen,

I'm sorry you are going through this . . . bed bugs are very stressful to many people. You should ask your PCO what he wants you to do as he is the one on site. But you might want to check it and make sure there are no holes in it and that the zipper is closed securely.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 12:15:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Wen,

The FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your belongings David linked to are a good place to start.

I would personally go for decon rather than "waiting 18 months".

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Wen

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 13:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everybody, It is nice having some one to talk too. The bug man is not coming till tomorrow but he talked to me on the phone, and was a real person and I got a chance to ask him a bunch of questions. He said he will bring the strips for the books and the bed leg things. I thought I would have to buy everything…thank God I'm so poor…. Its nice to be able to complain about your life to a bunch of people you dont know..pray for my sanity… thx

11. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 7:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Wen, I,ve not seen any sign of them for a couple of weeks now. I taken the time to look everyday. Like I said, I encased my bed and elderly parents bed who live with me. I bought a expensive steamer when I was in freakout mode and steamed everything. Dry Vapor. This took days because I was moving so slow with it "1in/sec" and for the most part was doing it after work for just an hr. or two. I did spend a weekend bagging stuff up and steaming furniture. I have a big old house. I,m not ready just yet to say I won but things are looking good! I,m thinking of getting a couple monitors. My parents and myself have had no bites but my cat has sure been itchy acting. Its not fleas. One thing I havn,t mentioned is that I put out DE along all baseboards and I,m sure shes layed on it at some point. Could be a skin reaction. If BB are feeding on her I,m thinking her sleeping spots may be a good place to put monitors. I kicked myself after I bought the expensive steamer but it might of worked! Time and monitoring will tell. Let us know how you made out with " The Bug Man " sounds like a super hero!

12. Wen

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 10:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

My Kitty is acting like she has earmites…Does anybody know can they live in ears?? or on bodys?? Seems like she is licking all the time and shaking her head…oh vet bill here I come… You guys have helped so much, just having some one to chat me through this…Needrest you sound like a attention to detail person…Great job! Your in my prayers...

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 12:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs can bite pets but will prefer you if you're available. (They shouldn't be living in or on a pet, however.)

You can always use the DIY flea trap idea here to rule out fleas... having both at once would be bad luck but not completely unheard of.

14. Wen

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 13:55:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Nobugs on me

15. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 18 2013 20:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

When I had my heat treatment, I researched the heck out of this site, as I was paranoid that I might somehow take bed bug eggs out of the apartment on my cat and then reintroduce them, rendering the treatment useless. A few people who seemed to have severe infestations said that they physically found bed bugs on their pets, but those seemed to be rare exceptions. My PCO said he'd never seen them on a dog or a cat (I do think she may have had one bite on an ear, as she tends to sleep by the head of the bed, but I think that was it). We humans are much more convenient to bed bugs than our hairy pets.

My kitty started shaking her head/scratching recently, and I feared a return of bed bugs, even though my monitors are clear - I think once you've had bed bugs, that's always going to be your first suspicion to anything. I took her to the vet, and she ruled out ear mites. We concluded she might have developed an allergic reaction (I wonder if to the DE I've used). The vet recommended 1/2 a Zyrtec once a day (a generic is fine), and she's stopped scratching.

As far as books and art papers and computers, I bought a Packtite, but a cheaper option (and a happier one to two years without your computer) is to consider some of the no pest strips. I isolated my computer in a sturdy plastic storage container with a strip, sealing it with duct tape and sealing that into a plastic bag. I then put that into my storage unit for three weeks. Be VERY CAREFUL to follow the directions, as these can be quite dangerous if misused - you don't want to risk breathing the fumes, and neither does your kitty.

Again - my PCO, as well as many of the PCOs on this site, have reported that it's rare for computers to be infested - I just wanted to be "better safe than sorry", as my laptop had lived for several months next to my bed. And, don't rule out a good visual inspection of things.

Good luck, Wen!

16. Wen

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 18 2013 22:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Steaming Mad, Thanks for taking time to write,. what an awesome bunch of information…I've taught my kitty to walk on a leash, I think she may of gotten fleas out side… the search for truth continues…bug man came.. got all my fabric washed, dried , and packed. Got a better bed frame (I had a podium). Yea, I'm changed for life, I'll never look at used fabric, furniture, the homeless, the dumpster, the same way. When I move I'm going to set up this home made detector I found out about that uses talc and dry ice, to test if the place has bed bugs or flees. I read some where else about a guessed pet reaction to this DE. Thanks for the computer suggestions. Take care…and Good Luck! Wen

17. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 19 2013 7:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi SteamingMad, I was wondering if you told your vet that you had used DE? My cat has her annual vet visit in about 1 week. If shes still itchy acting I,ll definatly mention the Zyrtec. Wen, Thats cool you taught your cat to walk on leash. When I lived up north I used to see this guy now and then on the subway and he had a cat that would sit on his shoulder. Was allways amazed the noise didn,t freak the cat out. That was a long time ago. Wen, Seems like things are starting to settle down for you. I,m glad.

18. Wen

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 19 2013 11:41:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Needrest, Well I'm not a crazy cat lady (hummm) but we live in a studio and and she gets stiff from not walking, she is old. She likes to go out at night best. A bug crawled on me last night, I found him in my hair by the nap of my neck. I have been itching there for months, I realize I have had these terrible bugs lots longer than I thought. I have only lived here 4 months, do you think they were here when I moved it. Ahhh, I'm so pissed. I guess I shouldn't be mad at the apt. managers? I guess its an epidemic?? Grossed out and pissed in Portland. I bought tubs yesterday, because the books are ripping the bags. Oh God help us. Thanks for being there everybody. I put a ad on craigslist for a Pactite, and a gal referred me to Amazon.com, there on there for $200.00. I cant afford it and counting on my bug man. Later Wen

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982