books and bed bugs

(14 posts)
  1. bootsiebank

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 21:14:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if my books are infested but we are moving and this has been such hell I don't want to risk bringing ANYTHING that can not be cleaned in every cranny. I'm having a hard time parting with my books even though they would be in storage. I heard you could microwave the books. Does anyone know how long to microwave each book or have any other ideas? Thanks!

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 21:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't be done. David Cain did an experiment microwaving a book. Result; book was destroyed, bugs lived.

Bag up with a DDVP strip.

Jim

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 22:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Microwaving books= bad. It's a fire hazard.

There are protocols for slowly cooking books in the oven at very low temps, but I didn't dare do that to my books. My oven in practically an antique (so old it doesn't have a pilot light for the stove, so you must light it with a match or lighter each time you turn the oven on), and I know from baking things that it has cold and hot spots of epic proportions. Given my absentmindedness and that oven, I was terrified I would set things on fire.

In the days before Packtite, it was kind of the only option.

DDVP strips contain a fumigant gas that the PCOs assure us doesn't leave a residue, so sealing the books into airtight containers with DDVP strips would work. Just read up on DDVP before you use it, Using those strips in airtight containers with items that can't be washed is a slightly off label usage. It's close enough to what DDVP is labeled for that I don't feel super anxious about suggesting it, but DDVP is a different class of pesticide than most other things, and so should be used with caution. DDVP strips are not labeled to be used indoors in any inhabited place. As a result, if you're putting items into sealed containers with DDVP strips, make darned sure that those are totally airtight containers. If possible, I would store the containers outside where they can't get ripped (this is why I would use hard sided containers rather than bags myself, which is what I did with my DVDs and CDs). Make darned sure you open those containers up outside in a well ventilated outdoor area. Be sure to let the containers air out completely before you bring them back inside.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you could get a Packtite and use it to treat books in small batches. If you have books like I have books, that could take a while.

However, if you're moving anyway, if you're thinking of treating the truck with Vikane or thermal between infested apartment and happy new uninfested apartment, just putting the books into the truck that's going to be treated ought to do the job, assuming you get a good PCO.

4. mangycur

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 20:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

the books can be put in a packtite. your dishes should be fine if you wash them first and then bag them. I tried putting books in an oven, following the library protocol which was linked in the faqs and my books got ruined because my household oven doesn't reach low enough temperatures. Which is odd because my household oven also doesn't reach high enough temperatures to cook food. Anyway, packtite I personally would trust more than anything. I also found that most of my books I thought I couldn't part with I still haven't unpacked. So maybe you can select only 50 necessary books and packtite them or DDVP strip them

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 23:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

mangycur!!!!!!!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. mangycur

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2009 11:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Nobugs!

7. somebugsinToronto

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 14:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if this scenario might work instead of DDVP - my friend suggested spraying raid into a container with the books and doing it in batches.

If I placed something like papertowels at the bottom of a large rubbermaid container, sprayed this with Raid, then placed books into the container, then sealed it for 2 weeks - would this do the same job in terms of the fumagation affect of DDVP?
    Would all be done outside, wearing a protective mask that I already own (for the purpose of working with chemicals)

I'm located in Toronto, and not sure if I can get DDVP strips.

I don't think that my books are infested, but don't want to risk the chance.

Thanks for any input!

8. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 15:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

hi somebugs

if you cannot get DDVP, can you get mothballs? search on mothballs in the forum, <and maybe even in the FAQ?> there are types that will kill bedbugs -but i don't remember which type it was <sorry -the info is on here somewhere though>

also, just as with DDVP, you must be careful when you use mothballs -airtight container, airing out in ventilation, etc

check the forum and FAQ for mothballs. i have no idea if RAID would work, but my guess would be not. mothballs and DDVP are solids that slowly sublimate into a gas, which is different than an aerosol spray of a liquid <i think, though i'm no chemist>. anyway, mothballs are pretty available almost everywhere, so i would think toronto would be no exception

good luck!

9. somebugsinToronto

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 15:41:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the fast response!!

I'll do a little more research on this site, but if they work that would be excellent. They are pretty easy to get as well.
    I recall they are made from formaldehyde (??) or at least some are. Pretty potent stuff - I normally get a headache immediately if I smell them, but I'm willing to try anything.

Is there any natural substance that might do the same trick? Tea Tree Oil, Cedar, or some such thing? I have my doubts because I get the impression the bugs are pretty hardy. Ugh.

Thanks again.

10. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 16:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

hi somebugs,

i was also having trouble finding DDVP, but i just picked some up last night at the canadian tire at bay & dundas. i tried everywhere else, and that's the only location i could find that carried them. the fellow that found them for me knew what they were and gave me some brief (but appreciated) safety precautions. they were $12 each, ortho home defense brand, in a red and yellow bag.

however, now that i have them, i'm too scared to use them! i think i need to do a lot more research before i use them.

i wish you luck.

11. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 20:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe you could get a moving truck and place all of your personal belongings in the truck. Then you take the truck and fumigate the truck at the office of a PCO, and that should kill everything.

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 20:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought I responded to this, but maybe my network dropped or the spam filter ate it.

Raid is a residual liquid pesticide that probably repels the bugs. As a result, putting your books in a bag with it probably won't work because the bed bugs will simply avoid coming into contact with the pesticide.

DDVP (also called dichlorvos or Vapona, so you might try looking for it under those names) is a fumigant. Strips treated with if give off a gas form of the chemical. It need to be placed only in airtight containers that are stored in places that people and animals don't live. (It's labeled for use in some structures that are unoccupied for most of the day--like a garage that isn't attached to the house or a tack shed that you'd only go into to get tack or supplied--I use that last example because I'm pretty sure those strips were used in the tack shed at the summer camp I went to growing up). I stored my sealed Rubbermaid bins outside under the stairs.

When you open the containers with the DDVP strips in them, it's vital that you do so somewhere not inhabited. (I did the opening and airing in the driveway of my apartment building.)

The other thing about DDVP is that it doesn't leave a residue behind, so it's useful for treating things like books and shoes that if you came into contact with them for prolonged periods after they'd been treated with a residual chemical that was toxic to humans and could be "ingested" (Wrong word, I know, but I'm hoping you get my drift) through the skin you could put your health in danger.

So long as you're scrupulously careful about sealing, storing, opening, and airing the containers in which you're using the DDVP strips, they actually seem a much safer option (to me, opinions may vary) than most other options (excluding the Packtite, which really is the best option; however, it's not available in Canada, which is why I didn't mention it in the first place. Seemed cruel to bring it up and dangle it in front of you when it wasn't a possibility.) It's also likely to be much more effective than trying to do it yourself with pyrethrins.

There is another thread about people looking for DDVP/Dichlorvos/Vapona in Canada, but since I included a link in the previous version, and I suspect it may have set off the spam filter, I'll just encourage you to use the search function to find it.

13. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 1 2010 23:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

i don't understand how DDVP doesn't leave residuals.

the packages i bought here said they are ok to use in cottages, motor homes, etc, provided they won't be inhabited for the next 4 months.

does that mean they do leave a residue, or that they stop working as a fumigant after 4months?

that got me confused and scared to use it.

14. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 2 2010 15:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

hi twitchy
    it means it stops fumigating in 4 months. the gas itself leaves no residue - but the strip ddvp will sublimate gas for 4 months - not leave a residue that kills for 4 months. get rid of remaining strip = no residue on stuff <good> and no residual killing power.
    don't use it inside your house or apartment. i have some in sealed bags, that are then stored in sealed rubbermaid bins with duct tape around bin top, that are placed in an unused sunporch, to which i sealed the closed doors in that plastic insulating shrink wrap stuff. cuz i'm just that paranoid i also have some in a basement storage unit. so both are rooms unoccupied less than 4 hours per day <actually, they are occupied 0 hours per day> - but the rooms adjoin more occupied spaces (sunporch connected to my apartment, though walls are thoroughly caulked and door sealed with plastic -- basement storage adjoins laundry room, though no one is in there 4 hours per day).
    i do worry if there was any leak it could poison my very small dog and i kinda wish DDVP had a smell, so i would know if it was leaking in - its creepy that it doesn't

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999