(20 posts)
  1. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 8:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all -

I'm new to this forum and want to say that reading through all of your posts has helped to put my worried mind a bit at ease (though not entirely).

So for a little background - I had bed bugs previously in my old apartment and had a professional treatment, prepared all of my belongings (the pest control expert told my landlord that I was the best prepared client he had ever encountered - I wanted those bastards out of my place!). I have since moved - temporarily back with my parents as my lease was up and I am job hunting out of state. Before I moved I threw away my mattress, box spring, and couch, all of which had been infested. There had been no sign of continued infestation for about 3 weeks after my final treatment and before I moved.

I have been very paranoid about bed bugs since my initial infestation and typically take precautions when I go somewhere and return home (e.g., showering, throwing clothes I wore in the dryer for 30 minutes). This might be a bit much but better safe than sorry in my mind. You can imagine my horror this morning when I woke up to find a presumably fresh blood smear on my white pillow case. I assume it occurred last night as I definitely would've noticed it before. This caused me to panic and I took off all of my bedding to inspect the sheets, mattress, and box spring with the camera light on my phone. I think that I was fairly thorough, although couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked considering I needed to get ready for work.

Upon inspection, I found no signs of any live BBs, casings, or fecal matter. I assume - and this assumption could be wrong - that if a bed bug had bitten me in either of the spots I found blood, I would also have seen fecal remains somewhere (sheets or mattress pad or pillows). I'm very aware of what fecal remains look like given my previous infestation.

I've uploaded the photos I took this morning here (hopefully this works - first time using Imgur):

http://imgur.com/a/zR9vP

I guess I'm looking for some advice/assurance/suggestions as to what I should do next and whether you more seasoned folks think these were caused by BBs. The thought of bringing these devils into my parents' home and having to deal with the again makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks so much.

2. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 10:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I would really appreciate it if someone with experience or one of the professional experts could weigh in. I am racked with anxiety and don't know what to do next or even if these are indicative of bed bugs. Thank you all.

3. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 10:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry there isn't anyone to help. They always say bites aren't the evidence you need, but my experience is that it's hard to find the other evidence, they could be bed bug bites, or not. The blood stain could be anything, bedbugs, sensitive skin, etc. I wish you the best.

4. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 10:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the kind words - they are much appreciated.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 11:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The mark on the sheet is oxidised blood and as such non confirmation MG of bed bugs.

Please review the "blood spots on sheets primer" to see example images.

As pointed out above we don't use skin reactions to diagnose as they are too variable.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 11:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - Thank you for your response; having read through a number of these posts I was hoping that you would lend your advice.

Sorry to bother you - and I am speaking through anxiety - but could you clarify what you mean? I did look through the blood spots on sheets primer and thought that the spot on the pillow in particular looked like the slide with the smeared blood which said that bed bug infestation is likely. I was less worried about the other two spots as they seem to be redder in color and are not really smeared.

I suppose that by "non-confirmation" you mean that they do not necessarily indicate bed bugs but also do not rule them. In your opinion, is the blood on the sheets likely blood that hasn't been digested or expelled by a potential bed bug - i.e., not feces? And do you think I have cause to worry about an infestation? Like I mentioned above, I did an inspection this morning of the sheets, mattress pad, mattress and box spring and didn't find any indication of live bed bugs, eggs, or feces.

Thanks again.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 11:33:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry auto correct on phone.

It's oxidised blood and thus non confirming, as in could be something else and usually turns out to be something else. You can tell this because it still has a red huge, bed bug faecal is brown with a yellow huge.

I would check your Passive Monitor weekly or install one and check but nothing to confirm bed bugs at this stage.

David

8. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 11:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thanks much. Any passive monitor you would recommend?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 12:41:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Technically there is only one Passive Monitor, the one I invented, available in the US as PackTite Passive. There are a lot of guides and information about them in various of my posts.

While there are other products or approaches that may attempt to gain credibility by using this name they are not covered by the patents that make my product work.

Hope that makes sense.

David

10. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 16:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I went back through and looked over my sheets and pillowcase and mattress and pad again when I got home from work - still found no trace of bugs or feces as far as I could tell. Now that I think about it I do have a few zits on my face and a scratch on my nose that I suppose could've bled. I also have contact dermatitis/razor burn on my buttocks and waist (where I found the bleed in my sheets). The only thing I found were these marks on the inside of the mattress pad. I'm not sure if they are anything and wanted to get some thoughts:

http://imgur.com/a/cMPvv

11. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 31 2016 18:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

One more question and update I'm hoping one of the more experienced among you can weigh in on. I was checking my box spring again for signs of an infestation (still nothing) and found this bug behind my bed. Any idea what this is and whether it could be biting me?

http://imgur.com/a/kGYVY

12. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 10:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - not to sound overly paranoid or needy but could anyone advise on the previous two posts I made, particularly whether any of the further sheet stains look bedbug related or whether the bug I found under my bed could have bitten me and caused the blood marks?

I feel much better today having read through the comments, having still not seen any physical sign of actual bedbugs despite multiple visual inspections and having slept in the bed with no sign of bites or other telltale markers.

I guess what I'm getting at is that, after all of this, should I even be concerned about a possible infestation?

Thanks.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 11:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The updated stain is also not bed bug related.

The sample is a carpet beetle larval and may be the cause of any skin reactions. There is more written about them on the forum if you search for posts tagged on the subject.

Hope that helps.

David

14. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 11:13:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Very much so - thank you again so much for all of your advice. You are a God send!

15. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 8:07:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all - another paranoid follow-up here. I have two things:

1) I found a winged insect on my face on Wednesday morning and assume that it is a mosquito - I have added the link with photos to see if I could possibly get an ID on it:

http://imgur.com/a/gYmkq

I assume that this is a mosquito (and not even remotely worried that this is a bed bug). Could this be where the blood spots on my sheets that I discovered Monday came from?

2) I have thoroughly inspected my sheets and mattress/box spring multiple times a day since I first noticed the initial blood spots; I have yet to find any sign of bed bugs (fecal matter, shell casings, live bugs) nor have I found any additional blood spots. I also placed 4 Raid passive monitors/traps between my mattress and box spring and at the foot of my bed on Tuesday evening and have checked each multiple times since; no nymphs or bugs in any of them. (Caveat - I realize that you suggest your own passive monitor, bed-bugscouk, but as far as I know this is not readily available in the states).

Anyway, what I'm getting at - should I be worried at all about having an infestation or do you think I can sleep soundly under the assumption that I do not in fact have bed bugs?

Thanks again - any input is welcome!

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 8:35:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not 100% is a mosquoto but the edited image below should help with an ID:

fhusPADcropped by David Cain, on Flickr

Also an enhanced version to contrast the physiology better:

fhusPADcroppedenhanced by David Cain, on Flickr

The image manipulation was done with the basic windows package in a matter of seconds and yet it can really help get an accurate ID faster.

Now with regards 2/ don't inspect daily, its counter productive. Inspect weekly and that way you give time for signs to build up and don't feed the anxiety monster in the process.

The Passive Monitor is called the PackTite Passive in the US and is currently available (has been since 2011).

I would at this stage look at excluding flying insects from the room (close windows) and step back from the over searching for bed bugs and get on with doing things the best way.

Hope that makes sense.

David

17. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 8:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, that does help quite a bit. I suppose my remaining question (and forgive if I am overreaching and I realize that you can't adequately diagnose from afar) - in your estimation, do you think I am being overly paranoid? Do you think that it is highly unlikely that I actually have an infestation and I am just letting my anxiety run wild? Would you recommend having a professional inspection?

Thanks again.

18. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 9:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Particularly in that I have blood spots on my sheets but have not found any concomitant fecal traces anywhere on my sheets, mattress, or box spring. I assume these would be close by correct?

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 9:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can only repeat the synopsis of the advice above.

• Close windows to exclude flying insects
    • Monitor correctly and no more frequently than weekly
    • Until you have proof don't focus on bed bugs

There are only four confirming signs of bed bugs:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • faecal traces
    • eggs

While only live samples and viable eggs confirm 100% that its a current issue the others are accepted.

The following are considered signs that warrant investigation but that do not confirm bed bugs:

• Bites or skin reactions
    • Blood spots on the sheets

In most cases where the only signs are blood spots on the sheets the cause turns out to not be bed bugs. This does not exclude you from doing the correct things for bed bugs to confirm the issue but it is best not to obsess or focus on them as being the most likely cause.

David

20. WorriedOhio

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2016 9:36:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - wanted to follow up on this. So I bought some Raid traps about a week and a half ago from Home Depot to place in the bed and at the feet of the bed - no sign of any bugs thus far. I have still also seen no fecal marks nor any actual bugs or (hopefully) casings or eggs. However upon inspection of the box spring and underneath the bed I did find these and am not sure what they are. Based on reading other threads here I think they are carpet beetles but would like help with an ID. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/1dAFx

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316