Blood stains on pillow: Bedbug related? [a: blood stains can't confirm bedbugs]

(8 posts)
  1. Leonida50

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 23:16:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello. I posted 4 photos of stains I found on a pillow this morning. All are dark red. My doctor thinks it may be indicative of bed bugs. I have had very itchy "bites" (or could be something other than bites) off and on for a year, with no clear diagnosis after several dermatologists. I have just a very few similar stains on 2 other pillow cases (nothing like this), but no such stains on sheets or other bedding. I have looked for bed bugs and have not found them. Planning to have a dog come out Monday morning to search. Any thoughts?
    Pillow #4
    Pillow #3
    Pillow #2
    Pillow #1

2. Leonida50

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 18 2013 23:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

By the way, the "bites" and itching have been almost exclusively on my back, behind my left shoulder, off and on for a year. I probably usually sleep on that side, with that shoulder against the mattress. Will bed bugs do that?

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 1:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

These stains are not from Bed Bugs. I would say you don't have Bed Bugs based on what you described.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 10:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Red blood spots are neither confirming nor indicative of bedbugs.

Looking closely at the images it looks like a few spots have continued to bleed as you have moved around during you sleep which makes the issue appear worse than it is. If you think of it as being like a human powered block print.

My gut feeling is that you are looking most likley at one of three possible issues:

• Dust mite allergy
    • Allergy to laundry additives
    • Medical condition such as contact dermatitis or acne

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Leonida50

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 16:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I found a bug on the mattress this morning right next to my pillow. But it is too small for me to tell if it is a bed bug. It was dead. My cat slept in that location last night, but it is too large and wide to be a flea. Can anyone tell if this is a bed bug? If not, what? I put it in a baggie in the freezer along with a little light colored thing that was too small to tell if it was an egg or larva or unrelated.
    Bug found 3.19.13

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 16:21:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bedbug or related but I need to look from a computer to get more detail.

Not convinced its insect based at all.

David

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 21:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I get that kind of blood stain on my pillow and sometimes sheets. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to have skin reactions to dust mites. I am allergic to dust mites, if that helps. I found my allergist was better at skin conditions since they administer the "prick" tests (which are non-prick now) every 5 years or so. Your body changes over time, and can develop new allergies.

You can't diagnose by bites.

I'd get a passive monitor to monitor long term issues (and I have several right now).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. Leonida50

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 19 2013 21:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to everyone. Will also appreciate any other information contributed. I have a Terminix inspection tomorrow afternoon and will show them the bug I found to see if they can tell me what it is. I have a bedbug sniffer dog coming in Monday morning. So hopefully both will say they found no sign of bedbugs. I have had allergies in the past, but no bad ones recently. I have allergy testing scheduled for a month from now, so we'll see where that goes. An allergy blood test done 2 years ago was negative, but I have had bad sinus inflammation lately too. Had a dust mite sensitivity in the past, so that's not a bad guess. Really want to get to the bottom of it!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen