Blood stain ID: BB-related? [a: no] Also, Carpet Beetle Larvae [a: yes]

(9 posts)
  1. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 14:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Inspecting my sheets this morning I came across these. They look to be older and not from overnight. But are these similar to what's usually seen for bed bug stains?

http://imgur.com/a/HKx1T

Also, I should mentioned that I have found a tangible amount of carpet beetle larvae (some live and husks of others) around my bed. And even on the way other side of my apt. (Granted it's a small studio.) I even found a live one crawling on my sheets this morning when I found these spots. Pics below.

http://imgur.com/a/GpaSy

Also weird is the top photo. Among where I've found the carpet beetle larvae, there are these clear round ball that almost look like crystal beads. Usually they are individually laying about. But I took a photo of 3 together. They don't look like what I've googled CB eggs to be. Which I guess are more like black dots. Which I've found near the larvae husks too.

I'm very much hoping this is the cause of me and my cat's months of recent bites and itchiness. Over the years, I've found some evidence of CB larvae, but it seems to have become really pronounced in the last few months.

2. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 14:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Although, FYI: I'm getting a lot of pimply bite bumps on my forehead, cheeks and shaved skull. Could that still be CB-related. I see the term "under clothes" for CB-related bite so it makes me wonder if bed bugs are still a likely cause. FWIW: I encased my mattress in a sealable plastic mattress back a few days ago. Haven't noticed much of a difference so far.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 14:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The stain is not bedbug related.

The samples are CB's. I dont recognise the "spheres" in the top image.

I would proceed with dealing with the CB's and see if the other signs clear up.

David Cain
    Bed bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 14:57:32
    #

Login to Send PM

David: You continue to be *awesome* and ridiculously responsive. Yet again, very sincere thank you's!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 15:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The "under clothes" part about CB's was an early way to indicate that it was likley to be CB's because people often but not always reported a "biting" sensation and reaction in areas that had been covered with clothes.

The reality is that the effect on attractiveness to carpet beetle hairs of clothes is akin to trying to catch a sprat with a shark net. No amount of layers are going to give you the protection you want without appearing like the "stay puff man".

Hope that covers the one I was too fast in answering. I am just so eager to get to 10,000, LOL.

David

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 15:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larvae are members of the genus Anthrenus. The brush of hairs at the rear of the body contain the hastisetae or spear-headed setae.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 16:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed LOL. And congrats on the impeding milestone. And thanks for the 'under clothes' clarification. Since many of the areas I've been experiencing itchy bumps are exposed, I was concerned it might not be CB-related still. Also the fact that I & my cat have experienced acute itchiness in the last few months still has me weary of it being BBs. I plan to vacuum/cleaning accordingly but still am leery of a BB diagnosis.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 16:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I personally would not draw that conclusion.

Its fair to say that when this issue first arose there was not a vast number of people who supported it, whereas today it is more widely accepted. When people report reactions under clothes and the sensation of being "bitten" the suspicion often switches to CB's and the advice is to look for the skins of the larval stage.

This is not to say that CB reactions are exclusive to clothed parts of the body, far from it. I have on a few occasions picked a hair out of someone bare flesh because they were able to localise the sensation which occurred while I was present (it helps one of my previous jobs was to load 96 samples valued at about $36,000 into 96 wells 2mm wide and 0.2mm deep (it takes eye sight and very steady hands)).

In your case the evidence points towards CB's as the next logical step in working out what is going on. So:

• Take your shoes and socks off
    • Remove the allergens from the area with the use of something with a HEPA filter
    • Ensure any cleaner has not put out extra static
    • Check the humidity in your home (too low means high static)

And with the lack of confirming signs of bedbugs if that reduces or stop the reactions we have our answer.

The actual process flow of what we evaluate and what leads us to the conclusions we make is a very complex web of information which is not easy to put down on paper and is best taught under field conditions. If I were to attempt it as my 10,000 post it would most likley be the post that killed me trying to get it clear enough to read without and huge glossary.

Its a one step at a time situation and the fact that amongst the things you have found there are no confirming signs of bedbugs is a good sign and not an indication that you have "mystery bedbugs that leave no signs".

David

9. NoNightmaresPleez

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 2 2013 16:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks yet again, David. :-)I'm actually doing another inspection of my bed area right now and am about to vacuum the entire area. And fingers crossed I still find no signs of BB activity. That said I did just find another live CB larvae moving about the base board. We did go through an unusually very warm spell here in San Francisco for several months. And that coincided with the itchiness for both me and my cat. (Me first actually.) I'm hoping it was just the prolonged warmth that led to the CBs pronounced visibility. Granted I wasn't routinely inspecting like I am now, so I have few historical comparisons. My cat also likes to hide out under my bed so I'm guessing any fur/dander from her is attractive to CBs. I so pray to God it is! You've been tremendously helpful and generous with sharing your knowledge and expertise. Really cool of you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970