Blood Smears as Evidence?

(12 posts)
  1. bedbughomework

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 19:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Can blood smears (the rusty colored ones pictured on David Cain's PDF) be considered as evidence of having bed bugs? We can never seem to find the black fecal matter but continue to have rusty colored blood smears on our sheets and pillow cases, along with bites.

2. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 8:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but I'd say no. Blood stains indicate external creatures are harboring in your belongings, but does not definitively say what kind of external creature (even if they look similar to David Cain's photos). If you are not finding fecal stains anywhere, consider that it could be some other type of creatures that are biting you.

An interesting thought I had last night... is there technology available to run DNA tests on blood stains of creatures? Might this help determine what one has? I'm sure it'd be otherworldly expensive, but I'm curious.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:19:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No blood spots only confirm something needs looking at and not what it could be. I am preparing some images on the issue at present but they will not be ready for another week or so. I would suggest that you read the FAQ on monitoring and investigate more reliable options.

Hi brooklyn_bites,

For that kind of molecular test for specificity you would need to look at antibodies rather than DNA and it is just cost prohibitive. Even with the DNA tests they are dubious in terms of reliability and may not have the specificity needed to be of value and that's before you look at costs and turn around time.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. bedbughomework

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:32:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David and brooklyn_bites for your responses. I will be anxious to see your new images David. We do have other monitoring devices in place. We have a passive monitor placed between the mattress and box spring and we set up the beacon when we are away for a few days. It's just that whenever I see a blood smear my heart drops to my stomach. Thanks again!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bedbughomework,

If its a proper Passive Monitor it should not be between the mattress and base as in such locations bedbugs cant get to them and thus don't leave marks on the detection skirt.

If you are having problems working out an install location embed an image and I will be able to advise.

David

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 15:30:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Please ignore the dangerous advice of russell.j.coller.jr the post have been flagged for moderation as this is unsafe advice

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 16:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 

Please ignore the dangerous advice of russell.j.coller.jr the post have been flagged for moderation as this is unsafe advice

The post David mentions was deleted. Please do not recommend others use pesticides not labeled for bed bugs. The product you're mentioning is an agricultural pesticide and not appropriate for use indoors.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. bedbughomework

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 18:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    We do have one of your monitors. Here are photos of our bed. I tried to embed them but could not figure it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79390344@N08/

We have foam around the slats of the bottom of the bed because they tore into our last encasement. As you can see we also have climb ups in place but hope to take them off once the K9 clears us (hopefully). The encasements were quite expensive so I didn't want to adhere the monitor on one of them, that's why I placed it between the mattress and box spring.

Thanks for helping me out. You, and so many others on this forum are true sanity savers.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 18:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you can't place it in the middle of the bed on the encased base then you could put on the headboard as long as the encasement was positioned to touch the top of the Passive although a quality material encasement the adhesive on the Passive should not damage it.

I may even have to cave in on my principles and check a few brands out to see if one encasement is more feasible than others.

Hope that helps.

David

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 19:10:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had my passive misplaced for months on my new bed.

I guess I will have to glue it to the surface of the boxsprings.

11. bedbughomework

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 19:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David,
    I'll stick it on the box spring because I want to make sure that I do everything correctly. If we're lucky it could stay on there for years without any inhabitants.

Ashamed, I'm glad that my post helped you with your monitor too. I feel badly that you feel ashamed. Sometimes I feel embarrassed too but it's not our fault that these bugs have moved in with us. I do know that it is my fault that I had never educated myself about bedbugs. Perhaps I would have been more careful.

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 21:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, bbhomework! I'm not ashamed anymore. :-). I named myself when I joined the site last August. I've been bb-free since October when I moved into a new home.

I slept with an air mattress for 6 months until I got a bed. I thought I could wedge it between the two (mattress/foundation) and protect the warranty on the bed. I'm not really worried, but I like the peace of mind when I get an ingrown hair or a mosquito bite.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams