(9 posts)
  1. eric.oyen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 11:33:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

well, I am totally blind and living in a hotbed of bedbug activity. I should know this because about 3 months ago, a friend brought some in and I didn't know about it until I started getting bites about a month back.

So, here I am, getting bitten every night, trying to use the SimeXa powder and also trying to keep things clean. Not so easy when the room mate is also disabled, and the home owner (he has even less funding than I do). so, we are stuck. I can't spend wads of cash on pro help (I just don't have it) and I can't move (phoenix is an insanely expensive place to live these days) ANyone got any workable solutions that won't cost me a lot of cash?

sign me "blind and bugged in phoenix"

2. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 20:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, what a huge predicament. Maybe there is someone in your area who can come help out? Volunteers or a support group? Or better yet, is there a Public Health Service in Phoenix that you can call? Have you encased your mattresses , box springs and pillows and set up the bowls/interceptors under the bed/couch legs?
    This might sound crazy, but I've heard of people with severe infestations who have run out of options and can't obtain help contacting the media to gain exposure. sometimes a pest control company will step up and help (it works in their favour as they gain exposure and trust with the public.) If you can't find help anywhere else and you're not afraid of the completely unwarranted stigma, maybe that's an option?
    Keep us updated on your progress! Best of luck!

3. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 21:46:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Bbs, that's a good idea. Maybe it would be a PR thing for some company in Phx. if the news profiled this predicament and they could help. I know that Vikane gassing of houses is quite affordable (relatively speaking) in Phx. and that would be awesome if a company offered that because you guys have limited amounts of cooperation to offer. I know someone who is in news in Phx. I wonder if she would have a contact in media to suggest. I'll check.

4. eric.oyen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 16:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for some of the suggestions.

getting casements and bug interceptors cost money I don't have. the good casements (protect-o-bed) cost about $90 for the matress and almost as much for the boxsprings. Avg pricing for the interceptors is around $40 (a little more affordable, if I had any cash left over at the end of the month).

Phoenix is an affordable place to live???? not for someone whose fixed income amounts to $10k a year! That's right! That's all I get for being blind in the states! Oh yeah, and don't ask about the other so-called benefits I am supposed to be getting. the hoops I have to jump through just to get them are ridiculous. I also get nickled and dimed down to bare nothing too! now that I have vented, let me adress the rest of the suggestions.

a good PR campaign would be great, assuming you can get any of the pest control agencies on board (I know, I have been calling around and all of them demand money before they will even do work). I have also been searching for volunteer groups to help out. so far, I haven't found any (or I am not looking in the right places). My place is such a mess just now (the home owner is disabled and gets $200 less a month than I do!) and he is a bit of a hoarder (not nearly as bad as some others including one family member living out of state). As for the state Health Dept, they would come in and probably declare this place as condemned and then we would all be out on the streets. The bureaucracy is so entrenched here (and damned anal-retentive) that it is likely they will go right to worst case scenario (no stops). My recent experience leaves little doubt of this (neighborhood services tried to have us fined for $500 for a blight problem and the judge tossed it citing that there were far worse cases around the neighborhood). Now, given recent experiences, my attitude is necessarily a negative one. One ray of hope was a volunteer group that came in and helped out with the out of control yard (overgrown in the back and looking like a weed infested dirt patch out front) This was about a month ago. The house, itself, is in need of some substantial repairs. I have been doing what I can, but without funds, its more than a little difficult.

btw, I can tell you what the avg. rent for a studio (400+ square feet) is in this town. Its easily upward of $650 (not including utilities). So, affordable really does depend on your income level and mine just doesn't cut it.

btw, I am also a blind athlete in training. Nice but I haven't been getting a lot of help from the local cycling community as far as training, rides and other considerations. Hell, I can't even get anyone to donate to my USABA account (located here btw: http://www.tiny.cc/EricOyen ). I know, I have been trying for 4 years! Now you see why it is that I ahve such a hard time believing in the goodness of man lately. If someone would just step up and help, it would certainly go a long way toward restoring my faith in my fellow humans.

anyway, back to the subject of bed bugs and how to be rid of them. I took what lettle spare cash I had, went over to the store last night, got a can of extra strenth lysol spray, 2 large pottles of rubbing alcohol, brought those home and proceeded to try and sterilize my room a bit. Sprayed the matress and boxsprings down with the alchohol (used an entire bottle in a sprayer) and then followed up with the lysol. did the same for the chair in my room. Got my firtst real good night of sleep without being bitfor the first time in over a month This was just a temporary measure, but it did beat back the bugs for at least the time being (and only in my room). I am going to try a couple of other tricks to see if I can keep them at bay (like using fresh dryer sheets between the matress and bedsprings as well as under the cover sheet for the matress. From what I have read, the chemistry causes the bugs to go elsewhere to lay their eggs. THis is only anectdotal evidence and I won't know until I try it. so, the jury is still out on this item.

right now, any help I can get on any front would definitely be appreciated.

sign me "bugged in phoenix"

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 16:45:37
    #

Login to Send PM

A better recipe for homemade spray is 5 ounces of 50% rubbing alcohol mixed with 5 ounces of Murphy's oil soap mixed with 10 ounces of water.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 16:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

The dryer sheets won't help.

7. eric.oyen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 18:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hmmm. An interesting solution (figuratively and literally). I will have to acquire some murphy's oil soap and combine the two with the water. I was also thinking of adding some neem oil to the mix. That stuff is a natural pest remiver that has several thousand years worth of evidentery use behind it. I will have to see if there is any place locally that sells the neem oil extract for cheap. I know it has an oder, but that will fade with time. It's effectiveness against the bugs, however, won't. Looks like a multi-pronged attack is my best solution. Now, if it didn't cost so damned much to get the place heat treated, that would also be a viable solution.

8. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 19:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again. You don't sound negative, you sound burnt out, which I promise every single person on this forum completely understands. Please, vent away. It's part of the healing! Also, I bet every one of these folks who hasn't developed a full-on phobia of bedbugs would be there to help in a heartbeat if they lived in Phoenix. I know I would!
    Don't worry about "top of the line" protection. I got my encasements from Walmart for about $50 each (Canadian) . So that might be a more reasonable solution. I made sure to tape the zipper shut securely. I also did my pillows ($10 each). For interceptors I couldn't afford the $40 set either so I went to the dollar store and got cheap plastic bowls. Also double sided tape which is super cheap. Even double sided tape on the bedlegs might slow them down. My set- up isn't "top of the line" but I haven't been bit since taking these steps, so around 10 days now.

As for the pest control companies, I've seen that in other people's stories that they don't help until payment, but after some media exposure they step up. Not just for your own wellbeing, but for theirs. However if you think this will get your place condemned, I understand that's not an option. Heat treatments are RIDICULOUSLY expensive! And I've seen more than a few cases of folks needing several. What a shame.

You have a crowd funding campaign for cycling, which is great! How about a crowd funding campaign for the bugs? You could do a go fund me online, and maybe submit your story to a newspaper? Maybe if it was done that way and you didn't have to have a news crew to your house with cameras you could gain exposure without having the city come in and shut you down? The thing with go fund me is unlike other crowdfunding sites, if you don't meet your target you still get whatever you have raised.

Now this is a touchy subject, but could you start gently encouraging your housemate to start reducing the hoard? It gives bugs WAY too many places to hide, especially if it's stashed in cardboard and not maintained well. I know that is excruciatingly difficult, but bedbugs are a didficult situation, too. I imagine that you've already tried to persuade them, but maybe with the infestation they might be a little more open to it. I hope for both of your sakes you can work together to get on top of this. !

Sending good vibes from Canada!

9. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 18:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I reached out to my Facebook friend who is a newspaper reporter in AZ, but she hasn't answered. Maybe if you know which local reporters are "consumer advocates" maybe you can try to make contact with them and they could run your story.

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep, but those are temporary solutions, unfortunately.

Maybe you could get some Cimexa and have your landlord spread it around. Cimexa is cheap and effective. It seems like it might be the best solution for you.

If you do end up crowdsourcing. Vikane is the most effective treatment out there and is cheap (compared to the rest of the country) in Phx. It still would run you over $1000 most likely, but would be a good solution for the complications that you guys have. I wonder if any charities could help out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714