(18 posts)
  1. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 12:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help ID the spots on ceiling:
    First a bit of history: had BB infestation and were heat treated once at the end of April. Still bit and looking for evidence. Found some spots on the ceiling just outside of the bedrooms, near a sprinkler cap. Looked attached tight to the wall. Swiped one and it smeared.

broken link deleted

2. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 12:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Try the link you uploaded. I click it and see nothing.

3. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 12:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

4. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 12:53:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Two men from pest control company came this morning. They asked where the spots are and I pointed to them the spots on the ceiling. They did not even get a close look and said: No, they cannot be BB spots because ALL the fecal spots should be in the bedroom, within 5 feet of the host. I said maybe usually they are but sometimes they might not, especially I have sealed all the crevices in the bedroom. But they said ALL THE CASES. I then suggested them to wipe it to see if they smear but they refused Then they left, within 5 minutes after they arrived. I am deeply disappointed. The spots may seem a small thing to them but for us, it might be the very evidence we have been looking for for months. What do I do now?!

5. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 12:57:28
    #

Login to Send PM

BBee, I hope you didn't pay them anything! Obviously that company has absolutely NO IDEA what they are talking about. It is possible to find BB activity ANYWHERE in the house. Hell, I have even found them in kitchens, that weren't even close to a bedroom. I suggest you get another companies opinion, if even by phone.

6. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anybody let me know if the link (the last one) works? I clicked on it and it went there.

7. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

bbee1 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Can anybody let me know if the link (the last one) works? I clicked on it and it went there.

It works.

8. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, DustinBBkiller! I feel the same about them--they'd better get trained before they come out to inspect.
    The problem is that this company is the contracted company of the landlord. If I use other company, I have to pay everything myself. I saw that Terminix is offering for free BB inspections--does it worth of trying?

9. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

DustinBBkiller
    I saw you are actually a PCO. Can you judge from the pictures if the black spots are fecal matters of BB? They were not there when they heat treated the apartment so they are something new.

10. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

bbee1 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, DustinBBkiller! I feel the same about them--they'd better get trained before they come out to inspect.
    The problem is that this company is the contracted company of the landlord. If I use other company, I have to pay everything myself. I saw that Terminix is offering for free BB inspections--does it worth of trying?

That may be the problem right there. I'm sorry but here in MN i'm seeing more and more of these landlords with "their guys" coming out and doing treatments, and failing. Hence the reason I'm so busy. You could try Terminix. I honestly know nothing of the "big box companies" (Orkin, Plunketts, Terminix). My thought is, inspections are never free Good luck.

11. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bbee1 - 1 minute ago  » 
    DustinBBkiller
    I saw you are actually a PCO. Can you judge from the pictures if the black spots are fecal matters of BB? They were not there when they heat treated the apartment so they are something new.

It's hard for me to tell from pictures. I do, frequently, see activity on the wall/ceiling joints. Did you say that was near a sprinkler head? If so then it is likely fecal spots. Honestly though, I can't say for sure
    Sorry!

12. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 13:55:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you DustinBBkilller--I wish we were living in MN.
    Could you let me know what an average cost for an inspection is?

13. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 14:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It will range anywhere from $69-$149 in these parts. I can't speak for other parts of the country though. During my inspections, if I find activity my inspection fee is just pro-rated into the treatment cost. I'm sure other companies do the same.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 14:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As long as you have not used aerosol insecticides ceilings are not common places to find bedbugs.

Having looked at these images if the 3 close dots are the same as the others close to the sprinklers I would say its a no to bedbugs. The 3 in a triangle are almost certainly not bedbugs but the slight off focus of the others means I cant be more accurate.

It is not the location that makes things likley to be bedbugs if the appearance and characteristics of what you see. I have been called in with blue lights flashing to inspect things in hotel rooms close to smoke detectors which turned out to be drops from a shaken bottle of cola.

I would strongly advise you to start looking more scientifically at this and invest in a passive monitor so you at least have a clear target surface to check for faecal marks.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly acknowledge my involvement in the passive bedbug monitoring technology but as a very bright inventor of bedbug products said to me on the phone this evening I know it works because you have clients who have been clients of the system for 3 years and your reputation is too valuable to promote something that "might or might not work".

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  15. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 17:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!
    Actually I have installed a BB Alert on my bed. Since I have encased my boxspring and I am worried it might be difficult to get the Alert off (when there is evidence!), I have first put on some blue Duct tape and then put the Alert on the tape--will the tape repel them? I have put it on the head side of the boxspring--is this a good spot to put it? Do you think I should try to relocate it to the ceiling where the black spots were found?

16. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 0:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the update on the fecal spots on my ceiling...
    The pest control guy insists they are just dust. They are saying that I can can request a DNA testing of the fecal matter. This DNA testing will cost between ?$375 - $400 and I need to pay this myself. I don't know why testing the fecal spots can "genetically" determine the bed bugs. Anybody has a clue?

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 3:41:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is a thread on DNA testing here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/dna-testing

From a technical perspective PCR on whole blood is notoriously difficult due to the amplification inhibitors which are present in blood.

David

18. bbee1

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2011 13:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David for directing me to the posts about DNA testing. From what I have read, the price for such a test should not exceed $100. I don't know why the company contracted with the landlord is going to charge $375-400! Also I am wondering how successful it is to do a q-PCR on the fecal spots?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123