Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Black spots ID needed please [a: not fecal]

(13 posts)
  1. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 16:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Just looking for a confirmation that this is something that's a part of the material and not anything bb-related, but there are tons of black spots on the bottom of the shoes. Some are teeny tiny and some are larger dots.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/17208620179/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/17207255140/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131336076@N07/17207255140/in/photostream/

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but if the larger black spec (with knife pointing at it) -- if that piece is sitting on top of the fabric as it appears, that piece is unlikely to be fecal. If you have a presumptive blood test kit you can get a pretty good idea yourself, and pretty much rule out fecal with a negative result. With a positive result, you would then compare sample against known fecal pictures to rule out false positives.

Don't take any actions until either a pro confirms or you test the sample per the kits mentioned.

See "Useful Tools" section for "Bed Bug Blue" detection kit. Another, I have personally used is here:
    http://www.crime-scene.com/store/A-7500.shtml

Both tests have received good reviews from the pros.

Richard

3. BonVoyageBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

The spot sizes seem to be really consistently sized and shaped. If these were bits of fecal matter that had been picked up, I would expect there to be larger and smaller bits of flake. This looks a bit more dusty.

4. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:32:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if it's coming up clearly in the pictures, but the black dots are absorbed into the material. When I tried to wash, wipe, or smudge, there was no movement. Couldn't get anything up for bb blue and I tried a few times. There are actually layers of the straw material over some of the tiny and larger dots that dont have black, so I'm hoping that thus means it's just part of thaf material.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if it's coming up clearly in the pictures, but the black dots are absorbed into the material.
    ---------------
    That's why I qualified my answer. The black spot with the knife pointing at it looked like it was sitting on top of the material. In any event, if you used it correctly, a negative with Bed Bug Blue seems to rule out fecal. That said if you seemingly can't pick up anything at all, I would defer to the manufacturer. With the presumptive blood test kit I used several years ago, you didn't have to lift a sample, but could actually drop the reagent right on the sample for a result.

Richard

6. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Richard and Bon Voyage Appreciate the input. I can't find any pictures of fecal on a material like this, or else I'd find it easier to compare.

I'm (trying to be optimistic and) interested to see what the experts say.

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

RNinNYC -  » 
    I can't find any pictures of fecal on a material like this, or else I'd find it easier to compare.

Here you go RNinNYC. . . . my "favorite" fecal gallery on the whole forum! bwahahaha

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/fecal-spots-photogallery

I don't know/can't remember if there is anything close to your material . . . but OMG . . . it has just about everything one would desire to see bed bug fecal on!!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 20:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 1 hour ago  » 

I don't know/can't remember if there is anything close to your material . . . but OMG . . . it has just about everything one would desire to see bed bug fecal on!!

And right there's a fetish I hope I never encounter.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 20:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You guys cracked me up...

So my husband yelled at me and was able to rub some of the tiny black dots off (does that confirm dust/dirt?- The reason I didn't think so is because these are unworn/brand new shoes).... not sure if this gives more education, but anxiously awaiting an expert.

Thanks everyone

10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 20:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

RN: ou guys cracked me up...

So my husband yelled at me and was able to rub some of the tiny black dots off (does that confirm dust/dirt?-
    --------------------
    Well...now that you have a sample, maybe time to give it the ole' Bed Bug Blue again! Please report
    back and hopefully you won't disturb a fecal fetish meeting going on

Richard

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 4:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not faecal.

The visual confirmation of faecal is the most tricky part of bedbug ID's and as such if you are not certain its best not to add any confusion.

You do not need to have a visible picked up mark for the bed bug blue kit to work and despite inferences above I am yet to see the kit fail despite peoples best efforts to use it incorrectly. Some presumptive blood test kits are however extremely toxic and should be avoided for that good reason.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 5:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David! Helps a lot

13. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 7:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BBUK: The visual confirmation of faecal is the most tricky part of bedbug ID's and as such if you are not certain its best not to add any confusion.You do not need to have a visible picked up mark for the bed bug blue kit to work and despite inferences above I am yet to see the kit fail despite peoples best efforts to use it incorrectly. Some presumptive blood test kits are however extremely toxic and should be avoided for that good reason.
    -------------------------------
    Good Morning,

I don’t have time now to address all the misinformation and innuendo in your above post, but let’s start out with what could be termed “tainting the competition”.

You say: "Some presumptive blood test kits are however extremely toxic and should be avoided for that good reason."

Since the only other presumptive blood test referenced/mentioned here is the Phenolphthalein Presumptive Blood test (Kastle Meyer), I assume that is what you are referring to? That’s certainly the inference.

Kastle Meyer is a widely used and accepted presumptive blood test in the forensic sciences. Much studied and analyzed. As to detecting bed bug fecal, this same test has been used and commented upon favorably here by both Lou Sorkin and John Furman (killer Queen). Certainly if it was "extremely toxic and should be avoided for that good reason" they would have pointed that out. I have used it myself and found it easy to use, quite up to the task, and was extremely helpful in putting my mind at ease by ruling out what I then thought were fecal stains.

Do you have any evidence/studies to show that when used properly this test is “extremely toxic and should be avoided for that reason”?

Do you have any evidence/studies to show that the active ingredient (Phenolphtalein) is any more toxic than the active ingredient in Bed Bug Blue?

And lastly, since you are obviously recommending Bed Bug Blue and warning people off Kastle Meyer, shouldn’t you disclose your business relationship with the manufacturer of Bed Bug Blue?

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14