Black Pepper Mites mistaken for Bedbugs

(3 posts)
  1. Tim Osman

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jan 7 2013 21:41:11
    #

Login to Send PM

We have bedbugs in our building, which is essentially a 2-dimensional problem (floors and some walls if the place is set up right), so I was perplexed when these "invisible bedbugs" started biting me at my computer station, biting my butt at the kitchen table (non-cloth chairs), & biting me in every room, including my bed.

I went nuts! I tossed out most of my furniture and bedding and walled my electronics behind airtight plastic sheeting. They still kept biting me! I had to wear insect repellent 24/7!

I soon discovered that the bites were similar, but NOT the same. Unlike bedbug bites which are red and itch for a week if untreated, these bites were red and burned for a couple of hours if untreated; these bites also clumped together like water blisters and lost their redness in a couple of hours. (Both bites can be treated with a paste made of bentonite (hydrated clay) and baking soda.)

After numerous online searches, I finally discovered what these "invisible bedbugs" were. More importantly, I discovered how to kill these black pepper mites. Since I'm not crazy about insecticides, I tried various ineffective "green" enzyme products first before purchasing an insecticide with the chemical pyrethrin (not permethrin used for bedbugs; that just makes them angry). It was a fogger called Dr. Doom. I wore a clear plastic garbage bag over my head and fogged the crap out my apartment. It took 2 foggings to eradicate the mites; I had to fog my keyboard and place it in a plastic bag overnight.

For the first time in months, I didn't have to wear Deep Woods Off to bed.
    I love the smell of pyrethrin in the morning:)

2. jeanlouis234

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jan 7 2013 23:49:21
    #

Login to Send PM

could you see the mites?

I'm having a similar issue

3. LAWoman

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Mar 16 2013 22:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Although I cringe at the mental image of you with a plastic bag over your head fogging your apartment with pesticides I do have to give you a thumbs up for killing the mites. Did you ever see the mites or how did you discover what they were? Just curious.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982