(5 posts)
  1. seth12345

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 30 2015 12:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So this is a bit strange but...

I've noticed the past couple of days I've had a bunch of little black specks, like pepper flakes, when I wake up. These are small, thin, black, and can easily be brushed off the skin. I can even pick them up between two fingers, and they are a couple mm wide.

While I might find a couple here or there on my body, or face, I find majority behind my ears. Like 20-25 behind each hear, a big cluster.

I have no bite marks, and no itching. That's the really weird part.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be? Also let me know what you think of my plan of attack below.

My idea was to:
    1. Bug bomb my room.
    2. Get a plastic cover for my mattress - maybe I will find some flakes inside the plastic casing and I know they are coming from in there?
    3. Throw away all of my pillows, and buy new ones.

Thank you!!!

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 30 2015 15:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

As "little black flakes" might be associated with bed bug fecal material which is found on wood, plaster etc. it is unlikely it is what is going on in your situation. I would recommend no action other then investigation as to the cause which given what you've written does not seem bed bug related.
    If you moisten them with say a Q tip does it change color? Read the FAQ for fecal stains which might help.Definitely do not BUG BOMB your room. You also might change the sheets and address the areas with a hot moist wash cloth before retiring and monitor. Also check around for any foam type padding or insulation which may be deteriorating.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 31 2015 10:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Not every unknown small item that may turn up in the home has to be attributed to bed bugs. Don't begin by bug bombing your room but please follow Winston's suggestions.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. thisguy

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 7:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

@seth, I almost thought the same thing upon searching and finding this. It was really weird and only noticed it the past weeks. Though after investigating my situation, guess what my conclusion was? My old gaming ear phones of which I just began using again now that I successfully repaired them lol. I found this out, imagining what on earth could it be, factoring in there were no bites and no itching and from all the pictures of fecal matter i've seen none touch close to this. The closest thing I could imagine possibly resembling this material was the shiny outside of a bug. Though then I tested the one thing that DOES touch my ear, aside from the bed. Rubbed my hand against the ear phones, and what do you know...black shiny flakes. Ironic, so even though I already ordered a new bed bug cover(old ones a bit torn) which is a good thing to have but yeah, false alarm. Hope you find good results as did I. Cheers!

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 8:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

thisguy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hope you find good results as did I. Cheers!

Don't forget that this post is around 2 years old and that person might not be on this board any longer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,645 posts in 44,807 topics over 137 months by 19,666 of 20,369 members. Latest: PeterJensen, DamselInBugDistress, Pleasehelp12