Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bitten during the day?

(10 posts)
  1. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 11:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This forum is my only source of support or sanity - I haven't told anyone except my boyfriend about this as it's so embarrassing and scary and upsetting. Please, even if you're just giving an opinion, I would really appreciate the support.

I've been getting bitten in the last two days, but these bites look different from when I first got bitten - they aren't as itchy, red, or raised. Unlike the first two I got on my neck about three weeks ago now, these most recent bites are much smaller and go away within a few hours.

They're also all individual bites - no bites in lines, none in the same place on my body. (For example, right now I have one bite on my forehead, one bite on my forearm, and one bite on my side.) It's hard to tell I've even been bitten in any of these places after about three hours because the marks fade away and are no longer itchy.

Is it possible that my reaction to the bites would be changing this much in such a short period of time?

Also, I just got a bite during the daytime at work after I showered and changed into heat-treated clothes and shoes immediately before leaving the house. I checked my clothes in the bathroom here, even taking my shirt off and turning it inside out to check all the seams - nothing.

Is it typical to get bitten under your clothes during the day with bed bugs?

I still can't find any trace of them whatsoever in the house even with my encasements on the mattress and box spring, the bed pulled away from the wall, and ClimbUps under the legs of all the furniture. I've called in three PCOs - one said yes but didn't capture or kill the bugs he saw and said he would "make me a deal"; the other two (one with a bed bug sniffing dog that did the entire apartment twice and never alerted) could find no trace. I'm in the process of scheduling a fourth PCO to come as we speak because I desperately need a definitive answer and I want someone to treat ASAP.

2. FreedomAtLast

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 11:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally for me, the bites got smaller over time. there was also a bit of a delay a lot of times, so I wouldn't notice the bites until a couple of hours after waking. But are you sure the bites aren't from mosquitos or something similar?

3. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 12:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

FreedomAtLast - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Personally for me, the bites got smaller over time. there was also a bit of a delay a lot of times, so I wouldn't notice the bites until a couple of hours after waking. But are you sure the bites aren't from mosquitos or something similar?

Thank you so much for replying!

My reaction to mosquito bites is very distinctive - big, red, itchy welts that are uncomfortable for a week at a time. These bites are much smaller and less itchy and go away within a few hours, so I know they're not from mosquitoes. I'm desperately hoping it's fleas, honestly, though I have no pets and no pets are allowed in our apartments.

I see absolutely no fecal staining anywhere, no blood stains, no cast skins, no bugs, and nothing in the ClimbUps except some small spiders. The encasements (all white on the box spring, mattress, and all pillows and I didn't put sheets back on, so I'd see anything right away) and ClimbUps have been in place for a week now. Unfortunately they don't seem to help me not get bitten at night (or any other time). I notice the bites right when I wake up, so I don't think my body has much of a delay.

I just have no idea what it is and am desperate for an answer. I've already prepared my apartment for chemical treatment and am running everything I can't wash/put into a dryer through a ZappBug heater.

4. Pattycake

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 17:36:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you checked the laws in your state to see if your landlord is responsible for treating? You could get a monitor and check that. The one most recommended on this site is sold at bed bug supply and a few others on line. The inventor says it should only take two weeks to see signs if the monitors are placed properly. David Cain is his name.

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 19:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

No, that is not their usual MO.
    Bite reactions are often delayed by several hours.

6. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 22:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 4 hours ago  » 
    Have you checked the laws in your state to see if your landlord is responsible for treating? You could get a monitor and check that. The one most recommended on this site is sold at bed bug supply and a few others on line. The inventor says it should only take two weeks to see signs if the monitors are placed properly. David Cain is his name.

Thank you for this!

I did buy two of David Cain's monitors and am waiting for them to arrive - they should be here within a week. I want to put one on my box spring and the other in my car.

I actually called a lawyer about who's responsible for treating. He said in my state it's basically down to what's in the lease rather than any overarching state law. My lease states my landlord is responsible for it unless it's my fault. Proving fault is notoriously difficult with this issue.

That said, I did tell my landlord about my suspicion that it's bed bugs and he sent our usual pest control guy. However, this guy doesn't specialize in bed bugs so I don't think he has any idea what he's dealing with/doing based on what he's done so far.

At this point I'd rather pay for it myself and nip it in the bud than wait around while it gets worse and the landlord's PCO takes half measures that don't even work in the end. I called a PCO who specializes in bed bugs and he's coming tomorrow to do a thorough check of the house. Fingers crossed he doesn't find anything and tells me it's dust mites or bird mites or fleas or anything else, really.

7. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 22:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 2 hours ago  » 

No, that is not their usual MO.
    Bite reactions are often delayed by several hours.

Thank you for replying!

I know in some cases bite reactions are delayed, but for me almost as soon as it happens I get extremely itchy for a few minutes, the bite comes up, and then slowly it goes back down and is no longer itchy.

At this point I'm not sure what's going on because I got two bites on different parts of my body at work under my clothes even though I showered and immediately changed into heat-treated clothes and shoes before walking out the door to work.

I know car infestations are rare; I just thoroughly vacuumed out my car using an industrial vacuum and didn't see any signs of them in there. However, I guess it's possible they're in there and followed me into work? I just don't know.

8. buggedintheUSA

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue May 29 2018 22:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't really have anything to add, but I definitely want to follow this thread, and want you to know you're not alone. I'm going through something similar right this moment, funny enough. Just before I read this, I had some mysterious itchy somethings pop up on my skin - one on my hip, the other on the opposite foot. I just got out of the shower and put on pajamas that have been washed/dried and stored in a plastic bag stored inside of a dresser dusted with Cimexa... so I have no idea how a BB could have been hiding in my clothes and bit me if it actually is/was a BB. The two bites I've had before that were BB were on my hands, and they became very swollen almost instantly. Not the case with my recent bites. I'm also curious if reactions can change so quickly.

Fingers crossed for us both, I wish you the best and look forward to positive updates. Hang in there.

9. thirdusername

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 30 2018 0:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Without evidence of a bug or skin, I don't think treatment should be done. I'm not a PCO but I don't think licensed ones should be offering treatment without evidence ("bites" are not evidence).
    Allergies or other possibility besides bed bugs).

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  10. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 30 2018 1:10:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the input @thirdusername! The PCO coming tomorrow is coming for an inspection; it remains to be seen whether he thinks treatment is necessary based on what he finds. I agree that if it's not bed bugs then I don't want my house filled with chemicals, but if it is bed bugs I want to hit them fast and hard in the beginning so it doesn't get any worse than it already is.

Today is the 8th day of the ClimbUps being out and they've caught nothing but small spiders. I still wake up every morning with bites even though my mattress, box spring, and all pillows are encased and the bed is isolated. Still running all non-washable things through the ZappBug each night. All laundry is done and in airtight storage containers or XXL Ziplocs. Not sure what else to do at this point; I just want an answer.

@buggedintheUSA Thank you for those kind words. This is such an isolating experience - it's good to know others are out there dealing with the same thing. I hope the best for both of us as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,371 posts in 46,557 topics over 141 months by 20,533 of 21,396 members. Latest: jidhvs1, Darrellkking, jojo