Biting under clothing / blood stains

(13 posts)
  1. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 1:06:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a lot of marks on my back which are either bites or some kind of skin condition. I'm leaning towards the possibility of bites but as I almost always wear a white t-shirt to bed, two things give me pause: (1) it seems unlikely (though I realize not impossible) that the bugs could be crawling under my shirt to bite me (yuck) and (2) the complete absence of blood stains on my t-shirts. Regarding number two, given bites under clothing, how likely would it be to leave a blood stain? I mean roughly. Do people find that blood stains (on clothing or on sheets) are the exception or the rule? 10% 50% 90%?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-rs1971

2. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 3:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that these bugs can go anywhere, including and perhaps especially under our clothing because that is where our skin is. And I also think they seldom leave any traces anywhere, whether blood or crap or whatever. People have been bitten all over their backs and chests without ever seeing a sign on their shirts.

But I don't know that you have them. Have you had your place inspected for them?

3. BBQueen

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 3:37:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm afraid that the bites I initially had were definitely under clothed areas, in spite of the fact that it was during a heat wave and my bare legs and arms were fully available.

They started on the warmest parts and branched out later. The bites early were rashlike and small raised areas that I would never have dreamed were bites, either. I never saw blood trails on these early rash-like bites until I got some later bites that were raised and looked like insect bites with a vengeance. Now *those* left blood trails.

4. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 21:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My first thought about rashes under clothing is check for heat rash. I'd want to check with a doctor about that if I didn't have a confirmed infestation of bedbugs. That said, I'm sure that I have bedbugs, and even though it would be easier for them to bite my exposed skin, there are bites under my clothing sometimes. I do seem to get two sizes of bites though, and the smaller pinprick ones are the ones sometimes under the clothing, especially on my legs, chest, and back. The larger ones have been on my exposed neck, face and ankles. I wonder if the nymphs are more adventurous? Having bedbugs really bites (literally)!

5. BBQueen

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 21:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, when the initial problem occurred, I blithely told my out of town parents that I had 'heat rash' when I visited, because I thought that's what the problem was. When I found out the issue, I was *horrified* at the possibility that I had transferred the BBS to my over 80 year old parents home. It seems, thankfully, that I didn't.

Funny - I have the same situation. The smaller bites were uncovered, while the later 'big' ones were on exposed skin

6. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 21:58:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Im thinking of buying a union suit and sealing gym socks over them!!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Indera-Sleeve-Union-White-Large/dp/B0041EA8O4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287975457&sr=8-5

7. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 21:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Love it Bushbug! You'd need gloves and a head cover. Maybe a halloween mask would work? Hehe.

8. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 23:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

But I don't know that you have them. Have you had your place inspected for them?

Yes, I had a k-9 inspection and there were no alerts at all. I've also torn my bed apart and not found anything. Of course there is the small issue of the specimen I found in the bathroom subsequent to the inspection which may or may not be (I'm expecting the worst) a bed bug nymph. We're awaiting Lou's determination on this one.

With respect to my back specifically, I have an appointment with a dermatologist on Tuesday so let's see what he has to say. Based on various accounts I've seen on the internet though, it seems likely that he wont' be able to tell me definitively.

9. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 23:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 1 hour ago  » 
    http://www.amazon.com/Indera-Sleeve-Union-White-Large/dp/B0041EA8O4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287975457&sr=8-5

The problem with this approach is that if the only thing you leave exposed is your face, they're going to bite your face. I don't want them biting me anywhere, but the idea of their biting my arms or legs is at least slightly less unsettling than imagining them having a go at my face.

10. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 23:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 2 minutes ago  » 

bushbugg - 1 hour ago  » 

The problem with this approach is that if the only thing you leave exposed is your face, they're going to bite your face. I don't want them biting me anywhere, but the idea of their biting my arms or legs is at least slightly less unsettling than imagining them having a go at my face.

and while thats true, on me, they bite where its warmest and where you are LEAST sensitive to touch. I wear a t-shirt and shorts to bed; I get bitten on my thighs (warm) and calves. I almost never get bitten on my arms, because theyre colder and my head because its sensitive I think. I think I get bitten somewhat on my lower torso too. I see what youre saying, but I im not sure its an issue. I know I turn off fans or take off clothing in my sleep some times, so perhaps I wouldnt want to. Also, I would want to keep the temperature closer to 80 than 70 when Im getting reglar treatments, to keep those bugs moving and accessing poison.

11. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 17:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

RS1971, am commenting on your remark regarding dermatologist visit on Tuesday---and that "it seems likely that he won't be able to tell me difinitively". I too sought out a dermitologist as I thought I was having an allergic skin reaction. After picking a particular site he cut about a 1/4 inch squarish segment out of my arm and sent it to the lab. The blessed man, rushed the lab job so that I got the result by the next day (Friday) instead of having to wait until Monday! The results confirmed "insect bite", though they can't specifically identify which insect. Based upon the pattern of certain of the bites (breakfast, lunch, dinner), I have no doubt these were bed bugs. Your trip to the dermatologist may actually render a different report (should you decide to have the test)-----it may come back "not insect" and wouldn't that be a relief! Good Luck. Oh, my doctor visit plus the test he administered was $145, but that doesn't include the lab fee (haven't gotten the bill yet). With the information, however, I immediately called an exterminator as I may have brought them home with me from my travel. Now I'm paranoid and really quite crazy and looking for them everywhere.

12. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 18:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

benbit - 32 minutes ago  » 
    RS1971, am commenting on your remark regarding dermatologist visit on Tuesday---and that "it seems likely that he won't be able to tell me difinitively". I too sought out a dermitologist as I thought I was having an allergic skin reaction. After picking a particular site he cut about a 1/4 inch squarish segment out of my arm and sent it to the lab. The blessed man, rushed the lab job so that I got the result by the next day (Friday) instead of having to wait until Monday! The results confirmed "insect bite", though they can't specifically identify which insect. Based upon the pattern of certain of the bites (breakfast, lunch, dinner), I have no doubt these were bed bugs. Your trip to the dermatologist may actually render a different report (should you decide to have the test)-----it may come back "not insect" and wouldn't that be a relief! Good Luck. Oh, my doctor visit plus the test he administered was $145, but that doesn't include the lab fee (haven't gotten the bill yet). With the information, however, I immediately called an exterminator as I may have brought them home with me from my travel. Now I'm paranoid and really quite crazy and looking for them everywhere.

Thanks benbit for the input. I actually had my dermatologist appointment yesterday and he told me that there was no way to determine whether my skin reaction was caused by insect bites or something else. He didn't offer to biopsy the area and though I was vaguely aware of the possibility I didn't push him on at as I've come to believe for a number of reasons that they weren't insect bites. He did identify the one pronounced mark not on my back (instead on the back of one of my calfs) which I was concerned might be a bite as a wart. So at least I got that useful, if gross, piece of information.

-rs1971

13. benbit

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 18:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

At least you got that. I suppose my doc must have at least suspected because the first thing he asked was "had I been on a trip". With that, I gave him dates etc. He offered to do the test, but it was my option. I wanted to know!!! I am glad yours may be something other, as the reality of this thing will infest not only ones home, but ones head as well. It is awful. Hope you are OK.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07