bites on elbow

(8 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 9:13:16
    #

Login to Send PM

it is either bed bugs or fleas. They showed up yesterday. I'm guessing bed bugs, as bed bugs always seem to like my elbow. Again, these could be from my truck but I do keep on waking up itching when they are likely to be out--at dawn. I did all my laundry yesterday, washed the floor and wiped down the air mattress. No bites, that I know of, last night. On these bites and the ones on my ankles, would this be enough, with a previous infestation recently, to bring in a pco. Enough evidence? I want this taken care of before it gets bad and will have the money to do so tomorrow. I also want the top of the line pco. Any recommendations for Western NY?

thanks-
    Amy

2. mcsmcs

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 9:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no Amy!!! Sorry you're having this much trouble.

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 10:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

It is possible, though seeming to become less likely, that the bites on my elbow are from my truck and the ones on my ankles from my friend's place who has fleas or truck. However, as I said, it is seeming unlikely with new bites showing up almost daily, in clusters and lines. Unless my truck is heavily infested, which also seems unlikely as I only spend an hour or two a day in it and there is nothing else in it besides loose cd's. I have been bitten in my truck, this I know for sure. I also have been dealing with infested items in the back of my truck. Today I clean it out entirely, am storing a few plastic bags on my porch. The problem has been not having enough money or personal resources to do everything AT ONCE. I keep on having to piecemeal, which you cannot do with bedbugs so I have wasted a fortune. Everything needs to be treated together, at the same time. Selling the truck will give me that opportunity, but will mean I will have to find someone to be the bait. Again, resources. I am pretty much having a nervous breakdown about this. If I move again, I lose my subsidy, so I can't. I am typing on my friggin' computer on the floor. And does my family care that I can't even afford a lawnchair to sit on? Not one tiny bit. My friends tell me to pretend I'm camping. WTF? Does my housing agency care that I am living in basically unliveable conditions? No. Would they accept this? No. But I guess because I'm poor and disabled I get the scraps off the table, if that. It is a sin how we treat the poor. The only person who cares at all is my therapist who has provided more practical help than anyone, and my partner 2500 miles away who has no money to be giving me as she is unemployed, but has anyway. Anyway, I have realized I cannot climb out of what happened to me when I got so ill. Bed bugs have made that impossible. I am resigning myself to a life of poverty and depression, it is easier than having hopes squashed.

Years ago I outed the abuse I suffered at the hands of my mother and since then I have had to go it alone. I just don't have the resources for this problem, personal or financial. I have officially lost hope. I desire to take to bed, but...I can't even be properly depressed. I have stopped speaking with my family and may stop speaking with my friends. I told my one friend and sister the other day after my fridge busted that I had no money for food as it all spoiled and they went AWOL which is all too typical of them. Give a poor person an inch, you know. My one friend invited me for dinner but HELLO I have no money for gas and haven't learned the bus schedule yet and wouldn't have been able to wait on two buses with how weak I was feeling anyway because I had no freakin' food. People with privilege are so blind it hurts. Partner money in my account but, for all they know I could be starving right now. Well, after the last two years of my life nearly dying from benzo withdrawal and losing everything to bed bugs with very little help even to stay alive I am realizing I have to find better friends. I applied for a job yesterday at the local grocery store, but to be honest, if I have bed bugs again, there is no way I can work with the sleep deprivation.

amy

4. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 8:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

woke itching in the night again. I'd say this was psychosomatic except I wake because I'm itching, I don't wake and then itch. I also feel the creepy crawlies. This is how it began last time and one week later, vwala, bites in a row. I'm thinking I just don't react to nymphs as badly as adults. It's hard for me to tell whether I am infested, because, as always, sometimes I react to bites and sometimes I don't. I do believe they are here with me though, my sleep is altered in much the same way as when I was battling them in my old place. Definitely in my truck. Bites emerge about 30 minutes after being in it. They seem to prefer the floor mats.

I don't know if a pco would treat based on itching in the night and reexposure. I'd like a treatment just as preventative, as if they are here, they haven't had time to take hold. That said, I'm looking for low or no chemical treatment. Phantom, heat, cryogenics (Terminix said they do this). I am too afraid to use DE with my asthma. I would just steam myself but I can't do it myself anymore. It's maddening to wonder where they are. Also considering a bed bug dog.

Amy

5. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 10:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

hello, bed bug world.

I have had these things so long this is starting to feel like a journal. Was not bitten last night, don't think, slept through the night. Maybe one on my other elbow, hard to tell when it happened. Anyway I bought a vacuum yesterday and vacuumed very thoroughly in the bedroom and around my desk, using the crevice attachment for gaps in the floorboard and baseboards. Did all my laundry, found a laundromat where dryers get to at least 165 degrees. Clothes, I brought some old clothes back, are in 4 XL ziploc bags in my bedroom. Treated the truck and sold it.

Ok, so now I have money and am wondering how to most effectively tackle any problem that may have followed here. I have had more bites than usual since moving and am realizing this place may have been infested, or it's because I am sleeping on the floor. My options are buy a packtite and steamer and bedframe, mattress with encasement and climbups and if necessary hire a cheap pco who seems to get good results (I've spoken with him). Hire a thermal provider or Terminix who uses cryogenics (They are quoting 1059 for only a 90 day guarantee) or a bed bug dog service who can treat. Or save the money for vikane possibly in the future. I could actually do two out of three of these sort of, I have about $1500. What would be my best bet?

Thanks-
    Amy

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 12:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

ok so, I just bought the packtite, shark steamer mop, climb ups, metal platform bedframe for my air mattress, eco friendly exempt spray and pillow encasements. That's like $675, omg, on top of the new hepa vacuum with rinseable filter (40.00) and air mattress (90.00) and plastic foldable table and chair (25.00). Bedbugs are really, really expensive. I am going to embark on my own crusade here armed with these weapons, spraying the Eco stuff daily along baseboards and crevices, steaming and vacuuming, keeping laundry in bags and packtiting items. I think I can do it w/o a pco having just moved in here with all the right tools. It will be labor intensive for a couple of weeks, but will eliminate the need for chemicals or DE (which I am still considering) and will also leave me with tools should this ever happen again, not to mention with the packtite I can shop at garage sales and thrift stores again. I think I may have to caulk as well.

Oh geez I just got two bites in a line on my ankle sitting at my computer. They are definitely here. These things are so evil. I think this place was infested when I moved in.

Ok, folks. They better go this time. I'll let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work I'm moving far away from Buffalo with my packtite.

peace-
    Amy

7. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 15:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

buckled and bought 100% food grade diatomaceous earth from Q Based Solutions and a duster to at least put around my desk and computer and around the baseboards near it. I have a respirator. These things will all be dead by next week. I just hope I can get some sleep in the meantime waiting for shipments. Lol, there are more things in my apartment to fight bed bugs than to actually live. It's crazy.

Amy

8. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 14:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

this vacuum really works well and was $40 at Target. for anyone looking for a cheap vacuum to use you can toss after all is said and done, this Dirt Devil Hepa with rinseable filter is a good tool. Comes with a crevice attachement that has good suction. I don't work for them, just trying to help some poor folk out!

peace-
    Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes