(7 posts)
  1. Lima Rosa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Jul 26 2019 5:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear,

Now the mosquito season has started bites appear regularly. I always read online that bed bug bites appear in a row, so 2 or 3 aligned and close to each other and that mosquitos don't do this, since they bite randomly. So this is something I pay attention to, also since I travel a lot for work.

But I've noticed that at my home (in the Netherlands) I have had multiple times 2 or 3 bites in a row or near each other, while the rest of my body is clear or just has a single bite somewhere else (while sleeping and being uncovered) I don't always find a mosquito in my bedroom when this has happened. But I'm pretty sure I have no bed bugs.
    They never itch too hard, but I also read that a bite can have different effects on each person, so less itch or more, or even no bumps to big bumps.

So is my assumption wrong? Do mosquitos also bite in a certain area multiple times, albeit randomly but appear like a row of bites? or can it be something else, an insect or bug that also tends to make bites near each other ((red) mites, hairs of a processionary caterpillar, irritation from carpet beetle or silverfish etc etc? )

It would be good to know, since I'm each time alarmed and check everything when this happens, it would be good to let go of this assumption if it can be caused by something else.

Many thanks in advance!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Jul 26 2019 9:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites in a pattern or in a line are the most annoying of the myths out there about bed bugs.
    I'm happy to see you questioning this myth instead of blindly following it like many people.
    The only determining evidence of a bed bug infestation:
    Live samples
    Cast skins
    Fecal deposits

Beyond those three things it's just guessing, which helps no one.
    Good work, stick to reason, and if you do find something questionable post an image and someone here can help you out.

3. Lima Rosa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Jul 26 2019 15:52:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear BigDummy,

Thanks so much for your answer! I'm glad to hear that this is a mere myth and your answer will help me a lot to not be worried when bites appear.

After having encountered BB's in Asia and having read up online on what signs and symptoms are, I think it has been hard for me to distinguish what is actually true or fact and what are mere horror stories or myths.

Perhaps on that note might I ask one more question which I'm hoping can put matters a bit more into perspective: from reading online I get the sense that once you have them in your house it is almost impossible to get rid of them, since (it says online) BB are immune to most pesticides and will get anywhere in houses, so hard/impossible to treat in those areas, especially in apartments with neighbors.

This creates a feeling of anxiety and a bit of hopelessness for me, because does this mean it will be a permanent problem when having them and also how does one but also places that are more prone to get them like hotels get rid of them then, seeing I travel a lot and one does hear that certain places had them in the past.

Is it really that hard to get rid of them or is this actually, if done by experts, very doable and therefore, albeit maybe annoying, definitely solvable when this happens?

Many greetings and thanks in advance!

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Jul 26 2019 20:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

People tend to fixate on the bad and write about it. How boring a story of "I had bed bugs, called the exterminator and three days later my problem was solved." No one wants to read that, they want the horror stories.
    I don't use chemicals so I don't have to worry about any immunities to them, steam kills every time. It's not uncommon to clear an infestation in one treatment, the problems arise when the humans do something to hinder that treatment, like using bug bombs.
    If it were an unsolvable problem we wouldn't be here to help.

5. Lima Rosa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jul 27 2019 16:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's absolutely true, thanks for confirming, it does help in putting this nuisance into perspective.

The steaming is good to hear. Seeing I also have cats, which don't go well with chemicals.

I think exterminators in the Netherlands still depend a lot on old methods, like chemicals and are not yet into new methods of extermination, hopefully they will catch on soon.

I always steam my cloths and suitcase after travels to be sure, but with a simple small household steamer, I will look into a proper one, I think the US sells suitable ones.

Many thanks for all your support, that is absolutely great!

6. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jul 27 2019 16:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Don‘t forget that the US have another voltage than Europe. When you buy electronics in the US they might not work here.

7. Lima Rosa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jul 27 2019 16:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, that's good to keep in mind!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081