Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites. I really need help - have no idea.

(10 posts)
  1. amyinlosangeles

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2008 1:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys! Glad I found this forum. Somebody suggested it to me.

A few days ago at work I started scratching my arm like crazy (in the morning) and looked at my underarm and there were a series of 4 bites - small, hard, reddish/flesh colored bumps with tiny dots in the middle. then there was a worse one closer to my hand, that actually had a little more of a bubbly/hard surface. and another one. Anyway. here's some pics.. if this works:

http://i32.tinypic.com/23uzlmc.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/zj8pq9.jpg

So it's been a couple of days and the bites are getting more plentiful - i have more of them cropping up, only on my arms. I have to admit my whole body itches (though maybe its just psychological) -- my head itches like crazy.

But I have no pets, I am SUPER clean, I sleep on an air mattress - could it be bed bugs or fleas? Do i have scabies? I will note, I lived in an apartment with a dog who had fleas about 6 months ago, but there was never a problem then. I also currently live in a dog-friendly apt, have dogs on both side of me - but do fleas crawl under the door?! i dont think so. this sucks so much!!!

Help I cant imagine how horrible it will be to try to get "rid" of whatever is going on.

2. DanDaMan

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2008 3:43:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like bug bites to me, but it could be any number of things including hives. You'd have to find an actual bed bug to prove it. Cleanliness doesn't really make a huge difference. Most people here seem to be neat freaks. Check the seems and cracks of your bed. In the mean time try not to freak out or do anything rash.

3. fightorflight

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2008 6:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

>Most people here seem to be neat freaks.

DanDM - Some of us didn't start out as neat freaks. ;o)

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2008 8:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not possible to tell 100% from the pictures, they would need to be closer and higher resolution but from what you said about a red dot in center of the bite I suspect fleas first.

You can pick up fleas from all manner of locations from a walk in the woods / long grass to sitting in public areas.

I don't think its scabies as they usually appear on the hands and fingers first and then usually the groin and arm pits.

Deep cleaning and checking for the signs of bed bugs is advisable to be on the safe side but you may want to use a plug in flea trap to start of with and see how it goes after a day or two with that in place.

If its fleas or scabies they are both easy to rid and manage. Bed bugs can be a lot more complex if you do the wrong things first. I know its difficult and you want an immediate solution but in these cases caution and logic will save you a long time and however unpleasant it may be its not life threatening.

Regards,

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2008 7:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David, I PM'd you with a quick question. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks

6. buggedmama

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2008 9:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate to tell you but those look a lot like my bed bug bites did when I first realized we had them. Even though you have an air mattress, there are other places they could be hiding. Under baseboards, in other furniture items, etc. or they might have just come to your apt. from one of your neighbours' very recently.

7. MissAlicea

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 16:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, see I think I may have the same thing. Although I've been reading and apparently mine MAY be flea bites?? I ALMOST went to the doctor's today, but since the advising nurse couldn't give me a definitive answer... I'm just gonna hope that if I boil (well, wash at a HOT temp) all the stuff in the room and vacuum, vacuum, VACUUM + put all other things in black plastic baggies outside, I am CROSSING my fingers it'll be ok.

I don't really have the $$ to deal w/this by buying bombs, or a powder.

I am itching to try this carpet tape trick I read somewhere (to catch bed bugs) by leaving them around the bed and on the sides of the mattress. But again, any way to NOT spend $$ in dealing w/this, the better.

I have mosquito bite-looking bites as well, which is why I don't know!!

I read that bed bug bites resemble mosquito bites more, but the thing is, I don't really have bites on my face, neck or arms (although I just found one on my left arm and one near my collarbone), but the concentration of bites are below my knees and around my ankles. Although there ARE clusters of 3, most of them are singletons.

Sometimes the singletons will have buddies the next day. I swear I saw a black speck with some tiny legs a couple times on me, but I don't know if I flicked it off or it jumped.

http://picasaweb.google.com/108785658362571620407/BugBitesHelp#5501644084798205298
    [this one's pretty evident. 6 bites]

http://picasaweb.google.com/108785658362571620407/BugBitesHelp#5501653558560418402
    [there are 2 in the foreground/light and 1 really WHITE pustule-looking thing in the darkness]

[sorry to tag on to this thread, but I'd like some sort of idea before blindly going into a doctor and wasting money, or if I even need to go to one]

THANKS!

8. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 18:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

No one can identify bed bugs reliably from bites--not entomologists, not dermatologists, not pest management professionals.

The best a well trained person can do is tell you which family of bugs created the bites.

So trying to diagnose the bites alone is not a great plan.

Do some research here on the various kinds of bugs that cause bites and bite like responses.

Read the FAQs--esp. the first four listed here.

DO NOT use powders or foggers as powders can be dangerous to your health if used improperly and foggers often only make the problem worse.

I know that the fear of having bugs in your home is panic inducing, but try to step away from the panic long enough to take the best course of action--the one that will rid you of whatever pest you're dealing with most quickly and inexpensively. Flailing in the direction of things that might work without evaluating how effective they might be is a path that often leads to a more persistent problem and/or the threat of long term damage to your health.

Hang in there.

9. NewBlood

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 4 2010 19:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, see I think I may have the same thing. Although I've been reading and apparently mine MAY be flea bites?? I ALMOST went to the doctor's today, but since the advising nurse couldn't give me a definitive answer... I'm just gonna hope that if I boil (well, wash at a HOT temp) all the stuff in the room and vacuum, vacuum, VACUUM + put all other things in black plastic baggies outside, I am CROSSING my fingers it'll be ok.

As someone who went to many doctors for opinions I can tell you that doctors CAN'T tell you what is biting you based on the bite or reaction. It could be anything at all - from mosquitos, chiggers, fleas, food/allergies, diseases and yes: bed bugs. If you suspect you have bed bugs I would monitor for them instead of beginning to throw everything of yours into a boiler or the like as well! Don't live like you have these things UNTIL you **know** you have them. That is - until you have caught one, or proof of them and had it properly identified by someone qualified to do so. You can still take precautions of course - but don't turn your life upside down until you know for sure.

I don't really have the $$ to deal w/this by buying bombs, or a powder.

No no no no! Please don't use a fogger, bomb, or powders unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Foggers and bug-bombs are likely to make the situation much WORSE as well as it will drive the insects into other parts of the apartment or house where it may be difficult to get rid of them (according to the information we have here at this site). Powders can cause you some serious problems if applied improperly as well - so read the label carefully. Finally some PCO's may not treat you if you have self-treated before hand.

I am itching to try this carpet tape trick I read somewhere (to catch bed bugs) by leaving them around the bed and on the sides of the mattress. But again, any way to NOT spend $$ in dealing w/this, the better.

Unfortunately the big problem for all of us is that bed bugs ARE an expensive (at this moment in time) problem to deal with. Really - that's all it is. The bugs are annoying but the costs of treatment and the toll it takes on anyone who gets infected is what causes the most heart-ache (that and the possibility of throwing away things you don't want to toss out - but a good PCO should be able to save most of your things, if not all of them).

I have mosquito bite-looking bites as well, which is why I don't know!!
    I read that bed bug bites resemble mosquito bites more, but the thing is, I don't really have bites on my face, neck or arms (although I just found one on my left arm and one near my collarbone), but the concentration of bites are below my knees and around my ankles. Although there ARE clusters of 3, most of them are singletons.

Were you walking around in tall grass or in a park or through some brush? Chiggers are likely culprits for bites on the ankles/lower legs at this time of the year (in the states). I have been attacked by them before and they leave the most dazzlingly itchy bites I have ever known. I swear mine take MONTHS to heal/fade when I get a chigger attack. It could be that you have been bitten by different insects when outdoors - I know I am whenever I step out into my hungry hungry back yard (it yearns for my tasty blood). I have a host of insect bites covering me from head to ankles at this moment.

If you suspect bed bugs I would monitor for them before leaping off the cliff so to speak. There are dozens of hungry athropods out and about this time of the year leaving all sorts of nasty allergic reactions on us. Just because it LOOKS like a bed bug bite does NOT mean it is! Climb-up interceptors are a cheap way to monitor for them (after you have eliminated the bed as a source) or a Bed Bug Beacon too. DON'T begin the flurry of activity to battle insects you may not even have. Find them first, or proof of them - you'll end up being glad you did (you may find it was something else, or you'll find them and then can form a battle plan then).

10. buffee

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 19:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 years ago  » 
    Hi,
    Its not possible to tell 100% from the pictures, they would need to be closer and higher resolution but from what you said about a red dot in center of the bite I suspect fleas first.
    You can pick up fleas from all manner of locations from a walk in the woods / long grass to sitting in public areas.
    I don't think its scabies as they usually appear on the hands and fingers first and then usually the groin and arm pits.

Just wanted to add, since I am currently dealing with this. My mom(in a nursing home) developed a rash on her back on June 29th, then it went to her arms, then to her chest, slightly on the stomach, as of Aug 10th it has progressed to a few on her inner thighs, the last thing was her hands-and I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS EVER--looks like reptile....anyway 7 doctors, 1 disease specilaist and 2 dermtologist later on Sept 21st--they found out it was SCABIES. I took pictures so I could follow the progression. I am the one that has all the allergies, skin conditions, bacteria, yeast, fungual infections.....not my mom. So Scabie doesn't always start on the fingers & hands, it took 10 weeks to reach her hands------must have been the worse nightmare ever, to be brain damaged and not be able to speak. There is a 75% chance I am also infected now from close contact. My teeny tiny bites are from the breast to the pubic area, with just a few on my back.
    Deep cleaning and checking for the signs of bed bugs is advisable to be on the safe side but you may want to use a plug in flea trap to start of with and see how it goes after a day or two with that in place.
    If its fleas or scabies they are both easy to rid and manage. Bed bugs can be a lot more complex if you do the wrong things first. I know its difficult and you want an immediate solution but in these cases caution and logic will save you a long time and however unpleasant it may be its not life threatening.
    Regards,
    David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,863 posts in 45,896 topics over 139 months by 20,212 of 21,020 members. Latest: Lima Rosa, afraidofbugs18, Bbt25