Bites but no signs

(36 posts)
  1. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 13:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read a bunch of threads on here that seem similar. I have lots of bites (see pics). Pest control guys can't find anything and neither can I. Dermatologist also thinks bites of some kind. Wife is not getting bit (I know some people don't react). Bites seemed to stop for about a week but came back with a vengeance.

This looks like bed bugs to me but I can't find them or any traces. I have a passive BB alert monitor. So far nothing. I can't put the interceptors because the legs of the bed are square and way too big. Boxspring has been encased. Ugh...

Bites are mostly around waist and back. Some on bicep area as well.

Pics don't seem to be working. I uploaded from Dropbox. Any ideas?

Trying to post pics again with Flickr

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 13:26:35
    #

Login to Send PM

No one can diagnose bites short of a biopsy, don't bother with posting. No evidence is great, time to change focus on the cause as no signs of bed bugs were found with a professional inspection.

3. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 13:33:06
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 5 minutes ago  » 
    No one can diagnose bites short of a biopsy, don't bother with posting. No evidence is great, time to change focus on the cause as no signs of bed bugs were found with a professional inspection.

So getting the house treated is a waste of money in your opinion? I just don't know what else to do at this point.

There is no way it could be bed bugs if no blood specs?

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 13:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybites - 16 minutes ago  » 

So getting the house treated is a waste of money in your opinion? I just don't know what else to do at this point.

Yes, treating without knowing what you're treating for is a waste of money.
    There is no way it could be bed bugs without actual bed bugs.
    I'm sure you'll think of some other options that could be irritating your skin, life isn't a simple binary answer.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 14:09:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No confirming signs is a good thing as is the clear monitor.

While reaction appearance tells us little location can narrow things down. Waiste and back would not indicate bedbugs, I would tend towards contact dermatitis but if you have been getting weather swings this last week or so it could be all manner of things.

Best to not attempt to treat / resolve until you know what your trying to fix and keep options open till then.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 14:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 15 minutes ago  » 

mysterybites - 16 minutes ago  » 

Yes, treating without knowing what you're treating for is a waste of money.
    There is no way it could be bed bugs without actual bed bugs.
    I'm sure you'll think of some other options that could be irritating your skin, life isn't a simple binary answer.

I guess my question is, how often, if ever, are there bed bugs but no signs on the bed itself? Or is that simply not possible? I mean they could be hiding somewhere we don't see, but you're saying there would 100 percent be blood/fecal matter if I'm getting bit? No chance it could be somewhere we just don't see/can't find?

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 16:07:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They don't "hide." Just like the rest of the creatures out there they harbor in a dry, safe place away from predators. "Hiding" seems to invoke thoughts of awareness where it isn't actually present..

If it eats it poops, there are always signs. I've never seen the mystery strain of bed bug ninjas, but that won't stop people from believing in them.

8. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 16:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 minutes ago  » 
    They don't "hide." Just like the rest of the creatures out there they harbor in a dry, safe place away from predators. "Hiding" seems to invoke thoughts of awareness where it isn't actually present..
    If it eats it poops, there are always signs. I've never seen the mystery strain of bed bug ninjas, but that won't stop people from believing in them.

Fair enough. In your experience, what is the usual cause when symptoms look like bed bugs but it isn't? I know you're not a doctor, etc. But anything I should be looking for?

9. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 16:32:37
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    No confirming signs is a good thing as is the clear monitor.
    While reaction appearance tells us little location can narrow things down. Waiste and back would not indicate bedbugs, I would tend towards contact dermatitis but if you have been getting weather swings this last week or so it could be all manner of things.
    Best to not attempt to treat / resolve until you know what your trying to fix and keep options open till then.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

It's weird. I would think they would bite a more exposed area as well since I'm wearing a tshirt to bed. But damn if the bites don't look like bed bugs. I'm open to any possibility. I'm not having psychosis. There are clear bites or something - doctor confirmed.

Contact dermatitis seems like it will be so hard to narrow down.

Ok, I'm willing to accept it's not likely bed bugs. But if it is, just one last question - how long before there would be evidence on the bed/monitor? Days/weeks?

10. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 16:36:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought this passive monitor and have it placed between the mattress and the encased boxsprings.

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/product/passive-bed-bug-monitors/

Site says 12 - 72 hours. Is between the mattress and boxsprings a decent enough location?

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 16:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybites - 32 minutes ago  » 

Fair enough. In your experience, what is the usual cause when symptoms look like bed bugs but it isn't? I know you're not a doctor, etc. But anything I should be looking for?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Your only symptoms are skin lesions, each person is different. Detergents, foods, bedding, air quality, stress, temperature, humidity, an infinite list of reasonable causes.
    You suspect bed bugs without evidence, so there's no way for me to know what alternate cause is most likely.

12. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 17:17:09
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 18 minutes ago  » 

mysterybites - 32 minutes ago  » 

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Your only symptoms are skin lesions, each person is different. Detergents, foods, bedding, air quality, stress, temperature, humidity, an infinite list of reasonable causes.
    You suspect bed bugs without evidence, so there's no way for me to know what alternate cause is most likely.

Ok so bottom line, no poop/blood, no bed bugs. Last question: there is a chair in the bedroom that I sit in to feed our baby at night - would they stay in the chair if they're there or go to the bed? The chair is dark colored so harder to check.

This sucks. Just want to know what it is and get it treated. So damn itchy and uncomfortable.

13. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 17:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I just went and looked for the millionth time and I found a live bug... It was on the carpet near the bed.

ID help please...

14. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 18:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybites - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, I just went and looked for the millionth time and I found a live bug... It was on the carpet near the bed.
    ID help please...

Emailed the pic to pest control and they don't think it's a bedbug. Said coloring is off - maybe a beetle.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 19:34:21
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybites - 2 hours ago  » 
    I bought this passive monitor and have it placed between the mattress and the encased boxsprings.
    https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/product/passive-bed-bug-monitors/
    Site says 12 - 72 hours. Is between the mattress and boxsprings a decent enough location?

Hi,

The correct install as per the pics on the site is the head end of the bed on the base section or top flat ideally and between the mattress and base only if no other options work. 12 - 72 hours is the fastest independent test data from the field, we advise 7 days all clear is a good sign and 14 is all clear.

Use the search box to find the FAQ section for posting images and we can quickly confirm so long as it’s in focus.

David

16. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 20:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I believe what I found is a carpet beetle. This could be the “mystery”. Maybe I’m having an allergic reaction to them. I just found the one. I mean there have been no traces of bed bugs and I did find a live carpet beetle so it only makes sense that this is likely the issue right?

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Feb 18 2019 21:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Exactly, logic dictates if all you can find is CB’s resolve those and monitor the situation.

I have written a primer on how to deal with them.

David

18. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 0:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I think I found an actual bed bug now, ugh. Just caught this before I went to bed crawling along the seam of the mattress. https://www.flickr.com/photos/164164400@N04/47090032102/in/dateposted-public/

Why no blood spots though? That has to be a bed bug right? Oh man, so gross...Going to be hard to sleep tonight.

19. SalsaVince

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 0:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe so. At least your bites are no longer mysterious. Now you can focus on educating yourself on treatment. If you and the pros haven't found any in your monitors yet this is the first one, it must be very early stage which is good. Your odds of a short successful fight are high if you don't panic and follow the instructions of your PCO which you can now schedule. Keep that sample for them to verify. More proof that bed bugs will eventually show themselves when you have them.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  20. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 0:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 15 minutes ago  » 
    I believe so. At least your bites are no longer mysterious. Now you can focus on educating yourself on treatment. If you and the pros haven't found any in your monitors yet this is the first one, it must be very early stage which is good. Your odds of a short successful fight are high if you don't panic and follow the instructions of your PCO which you can now schedule. Keep that sample for them to verify. More proof that bed bugs will eventually show themselves when you have them.

Yeah about the only positive is mystery solved...sort of. Where the hell are the bastards?

Glad my wife doesn’t react to the bites.

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 6:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yeah confirming that's a bedbug. The lack of signs and the low level of activity means it may just be one or two.

Yes question 2 is where are they, question 1 is how are they getting there. Best solved in that order.

David

22. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 8:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Yeah confirming that's a bedbug. The lack of signs and the low level of activity means it may just be one or two.
    Yes question 2 is where are they, question 1 is how are they getting there. Best solved in that order.
    David

Getting there as in to the bed or in the house?

23. SalsaVince

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 8:10:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe he means in the house. If you can determine where their origin is, you can prevent it from happening again the same way. If not, you risk re-infestation after you get rid of them.
    I have a question out of curiosity. Do you normally sleep without a shirt? You mentioned the bites were on your back and waist line, among other places.

24. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 8:52:01
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 40 minutes ago  » 
    I believe he means in the house. If you can determine where their origin is, you can prevent it from happening again the same way. If not, you risk re-infestation after you get rid of them.
    I have a question out of curiosity. Do you normally sleep without a shirt? You mentioned the bites were on your back and waist line, among other places.

In summer I sometimes sleep without a shirt but it’s winter so have been wearing a T-shirt. Which is weird because I thought they wouldn’t bite covered areas unless it’s crawling down my shirt...gross. Have bites on hands, wrist and biceps area too

25. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 9:08:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes, I meant the house.

I am also going to suggest you focus on vehicle and office chair.

David

26. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 9:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Yes, I meant the house.
    I am also going to suggest you focus on vehicle and office chair.
    David

Same treatment in car as in house? I did buy a used Herman Miller office chair back in November but not a ton of places to hide I don’t think since it’s mesh

27. SalsaVince

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 9:31:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Which is weird because I thought they wouldn’t bite covered areas unless it’s crawling down my shirt...gross. Have bites on hands, wrist and biceps area too

Yeah, that's why I was curious. I am interested in understanding where they bite and how they pick up heat and scent signatures that attract them. It would be unusual for them to seek out an area that was not exposed but in your lower back and waistband, even with a t-shirt, it could lift up and be exposed partially. Like David said, that could indicate they're getting you when you're sitting on furniture too. In addition to his suggestions, perhaps the sofa and living room furniture would be a good place to check. In any case, I would be careful to have separate clothes for bed and everywhere else in the house so as not to transport bugs to new places. Of course, you would also not want to move pillows or blankets around the house to different rooms either.
    Just saw your question about the car treatment. Cars are difficult to treat but first you have to verify that they're in there. If you don't find signs of them there, you shouldn't need to treat it but it's worth checking.

28. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 10:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 40 minutes ago  » 

Which is weird because I thought they wouldn’t bite covered areas unless it’s crawling down my shirt...gross. Have bites on hands, wrist and biceps area too

Yeah, that's why I was curious. I am interested in understanding where they bite and how they pick up heat and scent signatures that attract them. It would be unusual for them to seek out an area that was not exposed but in your lower back and waistband, even with a t-shirt, it could lift up and be exposed partially. Like David said, that could indicate they're getting you when you're sitting on furniture too. In addition to his suggestions, perhaps the sofa and living room furniture would be a good place to check. In any case, I would be careful to have separate clothes for bed and everywhere else in the house so as not to transport bugs to new places. Of course, you would also not want to move pillows or blankets around the house to different rooms either.
    Just saw your question about the car treatment. Cars are difficult to treat but first you have to verify that they're in there. If you don't find signs of them there, you shouldn't need to treat it but it's worth checking.

There are two primary chairs I want checked closely. I have an infant so I’m and down a lot in the night. One chair I sit in often at 3 am to feed etc

29. astrogirl

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 11:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Sorry to hear it's BBs but at least the mystery bites have been solved. The not knowing is the worst. Just curious as to how long you were getting bites?

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 11:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

mysterybites - 1 hour ago  » 

Same treatment in car as in house?

Yes / No, same approach and tools but cars are not homes and homes are not cars and as such bedbugs behave and locate differently in each.

Ia m also not famed for my specific pattern of treating, I adapt each treatment to what I find by inspection, so to that end inspection first and that tells me how to solve things. As I cant inspect your location I cant really advise on the specifics.

i would recommend reading some of the static content of the site and investing the time to understand the issue.

David

31. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 12:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

astrogirl - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear it's BBs but at least the mystery bites have been solved. The not knowing is the worst. Just curious as to how long you were getting bites?

It’s weird I was getting bit by something on my legs back in October. I suspected bed bugs and had an inspection done. They didn’t find anything.

Bites seemed to stop.

About three weeks ago or so I started getting bites on my back and arm and hands. Again had an inspection and nothing.

Bites stopped for about a week and came back with a vengeance two days ago.

32. Scared88

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 12:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

This makes me sad. I'm losing hope to a happy ending of mysterious bites ... they all seem to eventually end in the BB detection - some happenchance when you've found no other visible signs. Just hoping doesn't take too long that the problem gets out of control once I can finally confirm it.

I hope you get resolution to the confirmed problem soon.

33. astrogirl

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 13:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

It's worrisome because you had 2 pcos come and not find anything. Same thing with me but my skin lesions don't look like yours. But everyone reacts differently so. I've had my passive monitor up for 21 days now with nothing. I'm going to be staying at a friends for 8 days to dog sit so I'll see if I'm still reacting. If nothing happens at her place then I may have a k9 come in as long as they guarantee a visual.

34. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 13:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 42 minutes ago  » 
    This makes me sad. I'm losing hope to a happy ending of mysterious bites ... they all seem to eventually end in the BB detection - some happenchance when you've found no other visible signs. Just hoping doesn't take too long that the problem gets out of control once I can finally confirm it.
    I hope you get resolution to the confirmed problem soon.

Every time I've had an inspection it's been during the day and we don't find anything. Last night was the first time I looked at night and boom, there it is.

I still don't know where the hell it's living. My boxspring is already in an encasement before the bites started so I doubt there. The frame of the bed is likely. It's wood and has lots of crevices. The mattress is another option. I ordered an encasement today and will put on after the treatment today.

I'd like to get some interceptors but my bed posts are way too big. Wondering if maybe I should use some risers. I'll also continue to use the passive monitor.

35. astrogirl

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 13:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Weird. Did the PCO inspect the frame and box spring thoroughly? I have a simple metal frame but my PCO took it apart and looked everywhere on it.

36. mysterybites

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 16:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well so much for the first few inspections. Today’s treatment found about 10 adults in the frame when it was taken apart and some younger ones. Eww

Still no sign of droppings but obviously they have to be somewhere. Hoping this eradicated them and the one month follow up gets any new eggs. Disgusting

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,668 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com