Bites but no sign of bugs

(7 posts)
  1. Pharmash

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2015 22:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm looking for some support/advice/reassurance! My "experience" with bed bugs may not be an experience at all, but without being able to rule it out, I'm just assuming that they are my problem.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed what seemed to be a small rash on my inner thigh. Obviously because I noticed it I instantly started scratching. They swelled up and seemed to look like a bunch of mosquito bites, about 8 in total. I had worn a long dress out the night prior and it had rained so I just assumed that something had gotten trapped in my skirt and bit me up. But after a few days they became a more angry red color and very defined and hadn't gone away. After much researched I decided the bumps look very similar to some pictures of those with bed bug bites.

I had stayed in a hotel for two nights the week prior and assumed that must have been the source of the bites, given that they could take a while to present. I was sure to clean and isolate my luggage as well as heat treat my bedding and washed everything I had brought with me. I figured I hadn't brought any home with me since there was no sign of bugs or new bites. I also placed interceptors under the legs of my bed and they have been clean.

Fast forward to this Tuesday (7 weeks later) I am taking a shower and noticed approximately 17 bumps along the side of my buttocks. I automatically assumed they were bed bug bites, and today they are still itching and red. This morning I heat treated all of my bedding, pulled off my mattress and box spring (including ripping off the dust cover) and inspected every inch of both for evidence. There is absolutely no evidence of bedbugs anywhere. My linens and headboard are both white so I assume they would be easy to see. I feel like to suddenly have 17 bites there would have to be at least SOME sort of evidence.

I am at a loss. I don't know what else these bites could be!

To sum it all up:
    -Potential bb bites 7 weeks apart
    -No sign of bugs

Could they be hiding somewhere else or am I just being paranoid?? Thank you for ANY answers!

2. Dan88

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 13 2015 2:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I have somewhat similar situation it's been 2 months of wondering if I have bb and believe me up until now the thoughts of having them scares me to death! I have been getting red tiny rashes on my skin mostly on my stomach, back and arms and they itch sometimes but then within an hour or two it would just disappear! Besides the rashes I have no other evidence of bb, I have a white sheets and white headboard and a lot of people whom I've spoken with about my problem told me that by now I would definitely see a sign and the bb themselves if I do have it! I hope the best for you and I hope it turned out that you do not have them! Remember and it makes a lot of sense if you have bed bugs you would definitely see a sign and see the bb itself if it's been that long! Ever since I heard that, I've been more calm and sleeping well! Occasionally the rashes still appears but it don't freak me out no more! I have set up an appt. to a doctor to check for maybe I have a condition or maybe as I am getting older I've developed a more sensitive skin! Hope for the better! Good luck

3. paddy666

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 13 2015 16:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Dan88 - 13 hours ago  » 
    I have somewhat similar situation it's been 2 months of wondering if I have bb and believe me up until now the thoughts of having them scares me to death! I have been getting red tiny rashes on my skin mostly on my stomach, back and arms and they itch sometimes but then within an hour or two it would just disappear! Besides the rashes I have no other evidence of bb, I have a white sheets and white headboard and a lot of people whom I've spoken with about my problem told me that by now I would definitely see a sign and the bb themselves if I do have it! I hope the best for you and I hope it turned out that you do not have them! Remember and it makes a lot of sense if you have bed bugs you would definitely see a sign and see the bb itself if it's been that long! Ever since I heard that, I've been more calm and sleeping well! Occasionally the rashes still appears but it don't freak me out no more! I have set up an appt. to a doctor to check for maybe I have a condition or maybe as I am getting older I've developed a more sensitive skin! Hope for the better! Good luck

It would be nice to know what the doctor told you. I have a problem too.

4. Kitabug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 15 2015 15:38:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dan88 - 2 days ago  » 

If they disappear in a couple hours, then they are probably hives from something you're allergic or sensitive to. A true bug bite will last at least a week, usually more.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 16 2015 2:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

If you had bed bugs in your home, they would not wait 7 weeks before biting again unless physically unable to get to you. Maybe the reaction has another cause, or maybe something bit you but not in your home. Remember, bed bug bite skin reactions can be delayed.

That said, skin reactions are notoriously unreliable for diagnosing bed bugs, so your best bet is to learn to look for evidence and consider some inexpensive passive monitors to help you find visual evidence.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. distressed

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 17 2015 0:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme do you have any recommendation for passive monitors?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 17 2015 1:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

distressed - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Nobugsonme do you have any recommendation for passive monitors?

Hi distressed,
    The FAQ on bed bug monitors may help.

Forum users have used Packtite Passive monitors a lot. This would be my preference but I would stress that I am not a pro and that none of these commercial monitors were available when I had bed bugs.

Interceptor or pitfall style monitors like Climbup Interceptors and Blackouts (a newer interceptor) are also popular with many experts and forum users, though some pros do not like using interceptors as they are a form of bed isolation. (They are, however, much better than the things people used to do with oil in a cup under bed legs-- that may deter bed bugs, but IMO it's much better to trap them.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1