(4 posts)
  1. jbasci

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 12 2012 23:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok,

I am really really trying to not freak out, but I am definitely suspecting bed bugs or bird mites or something. Here's the story:

I went out to a cabin this past weekend and returned on Sunday. Monday when both my boyfriend and I got home, a bird had some how managed to get into our apartment. It looked like it had been in there a while, b/c there was bird poop in certain spots and it was very flustered. We have two cats in our apartment that basically were stalking it from the ground the whole time. We were able to grab it with a blanket and set it free. On a side note, I gave it a little pat on the head before I let it go.

That night, we let one of our cats sleep with us for the first time ever. When I woke up in the morning, i had a little bite on by my belly button, but didn't notice anything else. Later on that night, I noticed before I hopped in the shower that my whole back and butt were covered in bites. I have some that in lines of three, but they are sort of all over. The bites start off sort of smallish pink and at some points I've seen a small white head to it.

I have been getting new bites in random parts of the days, away from home which confuses me. My boyfriend has ZERO bites (we live together and sleep in the same bed). I looked at my cats and I it doesn't seem like there are any fleas. I've looked all over the seams of my mattress and even cut open my box spring--NOTHING.

Am I going crazy!??! I have more than 30 bites in various parts of my body (seems also around the bra/panty lines) and I cannot figure it out. My boyfriend thinks I'm overreacting, but it baffles me that I'm physically seeing bites, but no bugs.

Could it be bird mites, fleas, or bed bugs? Can I really not try to start any treatment without finding a bug or something to identify? I have zero bug evidence in my home.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated, as I am freaking out.

Thanks!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 10:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it be bird mites, fleas, or bed bugs? Can I really not try to start any treatment without finding a bug or something to identify? I have zero bug evidence in my home.

Could be bird mites. Do you know if there is a pigeon or other nest near a window? Try a lint roll tape and collect from surfaces near wall, bed, a/c unit in window?, collect on window/wall areas. Try it later in night/early AM. Let us know.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. jbasci

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 16:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not know of any nest near the window, but that one bird had been in our apartment for a while flapping around. There are trees and stuff near it. If I were to do this lint roller, what should I be looking for? Will I actually see some sort of bug. I mean, I've been looking for the smallest of bug with my naked eye and nothing.

It's so frustrating to have these bites and no physical evidence! The bites are healing though, which I suppose is good.

Still no bites on my boyfriend though.

4. mitesss

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 9:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

jbasci...i have the same thing please what is it? my husband is not affected. they bite me along bra panty and sometimes on my thigh...the bites go away pretty quickly. what mites caused your problem?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956