Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites Bites Bites Bites Bites for New Members

(28 posts)
  1. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 15 2010 20:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

There are newbies posting daily by the dozens about "bites." It's as if any bump or itch is automatically considered a "bite", specifically a bed bug bite. No other evidence. They flock here with their "bites."

What can we do about this? It is impossible to keep up with every newbie with a "bite."

Boys and girls: If you don't have confirmed bed bugs, inquiries re "bites" is a waste of everybody's time generally. 1) Because your so-called bite could be a zillion other things. 2) Because some people don't react to bed bug bites and they may indeed have bed bugs. 3) Do a site search; this may save you a response wait. 4) There is no classic identifiable bed bug bite. 5) Ask yourself if you had just seen or read something in popular media.

Maybe you have bedbugs. Probably you don't. Do yourself a favor and look for bed bugs. This is not a dermatology board!

2. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 15 2010 23:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I take offense to this a little because I am a newbie and have posted on bites but I DO have a confirmed case and am undergoing treatment. I am generally highly suspicious because I didn't have any of these beforehand and it just seems like as soon as I realized we had them and the few mysterious bimps (ever see Pink Panther?) on me multiplied by the dozens over the next couple weeks. It's like once I knew they were there they started coming out of hiding. And no I knew better than to start moving stuff other than that first night when I took the blanket off the sofa and onto the little table which is now gone. The pillows, too were removed while I searched but I vacuumed and now most of what was in the damn room is gone.
    Just really wanting to know more so I can be better informed and make better observations.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 15 2010 23:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems to me the point is, people coming onto the site for the first time after experiencing bites honestly don't know what they have; with hindsight maybe we can easily determine their bites are not from bb's; but we ought to cut them some slack because they're upset and acknowledge they know little and are looking to us for help. Yes, they could wade through a lot of threads and maybe figure out their bites probably aren't bb or probably are – but they're not experienced on the site yet and don't realize they could do that. Also, we want to encourage people to come onto the site and tell us what's happening with them because over time we might notice some pattern(s) we want to know about. Maybe a new set a bb-bite symptoms is emerging, different from what has come before; or who knows; anyway I would vote for not trying to discourage first-timers a priori from posting.

4. scaredcrapless

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 0:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I also am one of the newbites asking about bites, and I only posed my question after searching through pages of the bite section and searching the site and google about the likelihood of bed bugs biting in a rather embarrassing part of my body (my butt) and I was unable to find anything conclusive or anyone with a similar situation. I too have a confirmed case and a lot of the knowledge i have on the bugs came from this site, so I'm sorry if you find my question annoying but isnt that the point of this site? People helping each other out? Like I said, I only asked after I looked through the site and all couldn't find anything really similar to my situation. Sorry if I missed it, but I certainly tried.

5. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 0:34:04
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn,

I totally see your point, but we were all newbies at one time in panic mode. Let's just welcome them and be supportive.

6. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 2:05:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Jenn28 - 1 hour ago  » 
    nycyn,
    I totally see your point, but we were all newbies at one time in panic mode. Let's just welcome them and be supportive.

I am being supportive.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 5:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn: Boys and girls: If you don't have confirmed bed bugs, inquiries re "bites" is a waste of everybody's time generally. 1) Because your so-called bite could be a zillion other things. 2) Because some people don't react to bed bug bites and they may indeed have bed bugs. 3) Do a site search; this may save you a response wait. 4) There is no classic identifiable bed bug bite. 5) Ask yourself if you had just seen or read something in popular media.
    ---------------------
    And you knew all this before you came to the Bedbugger discussion group? Seems to me that people here were very patient with your questions when you first arrived.

8. nikkip

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 6:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Generally thats all people have to go on is the "BITE" especially this time of year in the winter in most places. I never found "hard evidence" casings, fecal matter when I looked every day. I had a K9 and an expector come out who said no. I then went to the dermatologist and spent another 700.00 dollars to sell me "its definitely hives" well guess what.....ITS NOT! I went on my gut and finally saw 1 3 months later.(at this poing more family members were getting tham too) I can tell you that some [/u] most people come here out of desperation. They want answers and help. If a doctor cant help you then who can? You guys!! Bites are all different but since we are all adults....I think you WILL know the difference between a mosquito bite and a bed bug bite. I dont know if Im the exception or the rule but they itch MORE than anything you have ever felt. I was on predinosone with no avail. No cortisone, alochol, cream will alleviate the itch. Mine always itched more at night, they lasted an unusually long time vs. other bites and they left scars. over my hands feet etc. Old bites can get aggravated as well.

We really do appreciate the help! You are "our" (my) only help. Its not like I want to discuss this with anyone else. Thank-You for being patient with us "new ones"!

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 8:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Aside from the issue of how to greet and support new people when they join this community, here are a few of my thoughts and things that we need to remember about bites:
    - If you are getting what you believe are bites, be vigilant, but don't go full speed into treatment or laundry mode. Keeping a log of bites could help.
    - Not everyone reacts.
    - Not everyone reacts instantly. This makes it more difficult to determine when and where you are being bit (ie at work vs at home).
    - There are many possible causes for the skin reaction we call "bites". IIRC, even dermatologists can't definitively identify bites as caused by BB.
    - The best answer we can give to posts that ask to verify photos of "bites" is "we don't know".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 12:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto gives good advice above.

I also want to add that questions tend to come in droves. There are "themes" which become popular and then subside. Bed bug bites may be big this week, but another week it is something else. I don't think this is particularly unusual.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 12:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We have painfully viewed 668 of your posts in 2 months (BTW ~ you are a "new member"). That's half of the posts I have and I've been here close to 3 years. I'm also a professional in the field trying to help with sound advice. Loubug's, who's an entomologist has about half the posts you do and he's been here longer then me.

I'm sure most people here are ready to answer questions for "new members" even though they have been asked over and over. Last week I mentioned about postings that are just off the charts, I'm sorry for the confusion. I was referring to people with 670 posts in two months, not people asking or looking for help. That's what the site an other people are here for, to help those in need. I'm not looking to start trouble with you or anyone, the reason I mentioned this last week was because new threads were getting pushed down the list before actual help was given.

I stated, not every posts needs a reply. That was not to suggest that the original poster be ignored, it was to say, if you don't have solid advise or knowledge on the subject, you don't need to respond in every thread.

12. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 15:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

People come here and ask the questions that are on their mind. Most questions have been asked before, and will be asked again. It is in the nature of this type of website. Many probably know that the questions have already been asked. They still ask, for 2 reasons, I believe. One is because they want an answer now, and although they could do a search on the topic, this is very time-consuming, (although something that I think most people eventually do searches). But the need is pressing, so they ask now, wanting to get an answer. This is understandable, as they are upset and in great need of some kind of an immediate response prior to wading through 100s of posts.

The other reason that people ask questions that are probably not new questions, is because they feel a need to CONNECT. This may in fact be the more important reason. Realizing that you may have bed bugs is a very lonely and isolating event in someone's life. There is really no one to talk to except us and a PCO--talking to friends and family doesn't really help as a person seeks to deal with this issue. So for that reason, I think that it is important that we be patient and take the people where they are coming from at the moment. Someday further down the road, the new people will be the ones who have acquired the vast knowledge needed here, and then they will be the ones who come to the fore and help other newbies. It's the nature of these boards, for new people to learn and eventually support others. Otherwise, the same few "regulars" would have to be answering everyone all the time.

13. done in

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 17:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, harsh. This problem started for me in May, long story, 2 treatments, PCO says "no bugs." I keep getting bit. Only found 1 bug, could not take it to PCO since Dr. at clinic squashed it. My original line of bites where huge and itched for days. Now I get totally different bites, and some stuff on my sheets. I found this forum in Nov. after Googling everything I could about bug bites. Think I have sent 3 posts about bites, I am so sorry if I have annoyed some people with questions about bites, but right now that's about all I have to go on. Thought that this was a place where people had experienced all kinds of reactions and maybe they could help me. I really don't understand how there are people who have been there, and are so impatient with others. If you have been there, you know the fear and panic. If you are annoyed with bite questions, just don't respond. Cut us some slack.

14. AnnoyedByBugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 17:55:56
    #

Login to Send PM

@so unsettling, thanks so much. Your response is dead on with how I feel and I'm sure others feel the same. I did do searches, but at times I go through many results and still couldn't find the answers which is why I decide to post and you are 100% about wanting to CONNECT as I am here to seek help from the experienced and professionals.

15. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 18:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

@so unsettling,

I agree too. That was the point I was trying to make when I said, let's just be supportive. Who are we to complain about questions being asked when we are bb free at the moment? Ask away newbies!!

16. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 18:53:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The other reason that people ask questions that are probably not new questions, is because they feel a need to CONNECT. This may in fact be the more important reason. Realizing that you may have bed bugs is a very lonely and isolating event in someone's life. There is really no one to talk to except us and a PCO--talking to friends and family doesn't really help as a person seeks to deal with this issue. So for that reason, I think that it is important that we be patient and take the people where they are coming from at the moment.

Words to be matted and framed. Bringing back how I felt two+ years ago, freaking out and sleepless after reading a prospective PCO's prep instructions.

17. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 23:48:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 17 hours ago  » 
    nycyn: Boys and girls: If you don't have confirmed bed bugs, inquiries re "bites" is a waste of everybody's time generally. 1) Because your so-called bite could be a zillion other things. 2) Because some people don't react to bed bug bites and they may indeed have bed bugs. 3) Do a site search; this may save you a response wait. 4) There is no classic identifiable bed bug bite. 5) Ask yourself if you had just seen or read something in popular media.
    ---------------------
    And you knew all this before you came to the Bedbugger discussion group? Seems to me that people here were very patient with your questions when you first arrived.

Yes. But when I got here there weren't 10 or more "bite" posts a day. I wrote NBOM and suggested maybe "Bites" should be a sticky. Why because I care about the poor SOB's running in with their "bites." If I didn't I could post less. In fact I am posting less.

18. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 23:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

so unsettling - 8 hours ago  » 
    People come here and ask the questions that are on their mind. Most questions have been asked before, and will be asked again. It is in the nature of this type of website. Many probably know that the questions have already been asked. They still ask, for 2 reasons, I believe. One is because they want an answer now, and although they could do a search on the topic, this is very time-consuming, (although something that I think most people eventually do searches). But the need is pressing, so they ask now, wanting to get an answer. This is understandable, as they are upset and in great need of some kind of an immediate response prior to wading through 100s of posts.
    The other reason that people ask questions that are probably not new questions, is because they feel a need to CONNECT. This may in fact be the more important reason. Realizing that you may have bed bugs is a very lonely and isolating event in someone's life. There is really no one to talk to except us and a PCO--talking to friends and family doesn't really help as a person seeks to deal with this issue. So for that reason, I think that it is important that we be patient and take the people where they are coming from at the moment. Someday further down the road, the new people will be the ones who have acquired the vast knowledge needed here, and then they will be the ones who come to the fore and help other newbies. It's the nature of these boards, for new people to learn and eventually support others. Otherwise, the same few "regulars" would have to be answering everyone all the time.

Then I guess you need to clarify with KQ if it is okay if this is a "connect" board or a "I'll answer that I'm THE pro board." Gawds only know I tried to figure it out but he wouldn't answer.

19. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 0:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 10 hours ago  » 
    We have painfully viewed 668 of your posts in 2 months (BTW ~ you are a "new member"). That's half of the posts I have and I've been here close to 3 years. I'm also a professional in the field trying to help with sound advice. Loubug's, who's an entomologist has about half the posts you do and he's been here longer then me.
    I'm sure most people here are ready to answer questions for "new members" even though they have been asked over and over. Last week I mentioned about postings that are just off the charts, I'm sorry for the confusion. I was referring to people with 670 posts in two months, not people asking or looking for help. That's what the site an other people are here for, to help those in need. I'm not looking to start trouble with you or anyone, the reason I mentioned this last week was because new threads were getting pushed down the list before actual help was given.
    I stated, not every posts needs a reply. That was not to suggest that the original poster be ignored, it was to say, if you don't have solid advise or knowledge on the subject, you don't need to respond in every thread.

If I cared to defend myself, which I don't, I could link to your last, say, 50 posts. "Solid advice--knowledge" (yawn). (Others: "Care and concern." shrug.) You are the god--only you know what is needed. Your biggest supporters have a mean of 18 posts. Because you are the bully of the board. And boaring. And have a kind of hard-on for me although I tried to be friendly. (Another shrug.)

I ran into a 2 or 3 year old post last night. It was terrific. I almost bumped it to say something like--gee, it was cool around here back then. Oh. Yes. That particular post was pro DYI, suspicious of PCO's, and even NBOM was into it.

So here you are. You, who happen to make a living from this. You of clearly weak ego... ANyway, you want to get personal? I don't think so. But here--here's a taste of 'personal' and you ain't seen nothing of what I am capable of.

But unlike you, I don't care. My world will not end if I am never on this board again, but I will miss the three people I'm not already in contact with via email. You, on the other hand, act as though your utter control of the board is life or death to you. And I respect that. Not for me to have anybody die on account of my social )term used loosely) needs. I mean, haven't you enough to do without counting the average of my posts per day???

Whatever. Poor dear.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 0:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 17 minutes ago  » 

Yes. But when I got here there weren't 10 or more "bite" posts a day. I wrote NBOM and suggested maybe "Bites" should be a sticky. Why because I care about the poor SOB's running in with their "bites." If I didn't I could post less. In fact I am posting less.

NYCYN,

I guess I am not sure which post you want added to the stickies (this thread does not seem like a good solution).

In addition, in my experience, many people do not read the stickies, especially newbites who are nervous and anxious as others have noted. Even for those who do, I am wary of adding even more of them when there are many already (and some can probably be pruned, but still).

That said, there's a sticky which is a list of FAQs, including a section on skin and bites. Check it out. This was added to the stickies on top of the link to the FAQs in the manubar above because some users requested it.

21. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 0:14:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm recommended, in email, a sticky called BITES because there seemed to be a need. Shrug.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 0:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

NYCYN and KillerQueen,

It's probably best to take the conflict off the forums, if you both want to continue discussing this.

NYCYN,

There is something in KillerQueen's post which you might consider further:

...the reason I mentioned this last week was because new threads were getting pushed down the list before actual help was given.

I am not trying to get involved in your argument with KQ.

However, KillerQueen is making a really valid point there, which bears consideration.

When a post at the top of the list on the forums has no responses, many people may be more likely to seek it out and respond to it first. When it has more responses, they may start with others. That's how it is when we're all so busy and have to pick and choose.

I can see why you may feel that responding even when you don't have information or an answer feels "friendly" and no doubt to many it is comforting. I appreciate that you're coming from a good place of trying to be friendly.

On the other hand, please give some thought to the fact that threads with responses may not get answers more quickly (or sometimes at all) and that responses which just say something like "I hope someone answers you soon" are not always as helpful as they might seem for this reason.

I am quoting KQ only because he is expressing a thought I have had in the past.

23. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 0:43:00
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn,

I'm not looking to argue with you, and I'm not trying to bully anyone. I'm on here to try and help people. I get emails and phone calls from people asking for help all over the country, even out of the country. I do so on my own time and dime and I get a lot of private messages here from people asking me to look at a thread they started and give advice. It often moves to the phone only because I don't really like typing and I feel I can get a better sense of what is going on if we can bounce Q&A's, rather then try and figure out what the person is thinking, feeling, or doing.. I had a gentlemen asking for help in South America 2 days ago, if he's ok with a phone call ... I'm ready to provide whatever info I can.

When you started this thread it goes against what the forum is here for. Yes, the same old questions over and over, but they come from new members in panic mode. If I were them, im not looking to search and wait, I need to know NOW! And that's why I mentioned not replying to every thread without the answers the person is looking for.

I say this because people message me, call me, and email me, saying, I can't figure out who to listen to on the board, I can't figure out if I'm over reacting, or if the person replying knows what they are talking about.

So in short, I know you have a good positive sense of humor, but please leave some of the questions that are asked for good advise ... most new posts are from those who are desperate for answers ... not humor. Again, I'm not looking to attack you, just hope you understand where I'm coming from, and also know why I wrote what I did.

24. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 17 2010 5:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget that new posts from new people are new and that often means that the posters haven't been on the board before and haven't been reading any posts whatsoever. They have no knowledge: this is their first time posting. If people have been on the boards for a long time and have read so many posts and so another one just seems like another similar one and it sounds just like something that's already been answered. It's true the posts and answers slide down lower on the list and a new person doesn't understand this sequence so doesn't search and read these first. This just seems to be how life is. I try to answer certain posts, too, but do to certain time constraints can get to all. Sometimes I miss them, sometimes a PM lets me know. Bites and bite reactions vary and sometimes bites are really not bites or at least not from bed bugs It's extremely difficult to diagnose from a purported bite/skin lesion that it's a bed bug bite.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  25. HatingTheseBugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2011 23:49:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum... and actually.. I have read on bites and i have compared pictures I have seen to my bites.... Since I did see one begbug I know I have them......

My question is.... can they bite through clothes?? or stay on u?? ...because I am feeling tingly and itchy all over....

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 0:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

HatingTheseBugs - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum... and actually.. I have read on bites and i have compared pictures I have seen to my bites.... Since I did see one begbug I know I have them......
    My question is.... can they bite through clothes?? or stay on u?? ...because I am feeling tingly and itchy all over....

Hi Hating,

You left a very similar post in another thread. Please read my response there.

27. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 3:18:02
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 8 months ago  » 
    I'm recommended, in email, a sticky called BITES because there seemed to be a need. Shrug.

Dear OP. This place is not for a pissing contest, or a local hangout like other boards. It is an educational,peer to peer communication tool and peace of mind location for people that are experiencing bed bugs, or assuming infestation. Your initial post is very ignorant towards this issue.

Bed bugs is a very sensitive,stressful and overwhelming experience. Some people are driven by fear from movies, a past bed bug experience, a friends experience, lack of education, internet stories, or commercials.

Sometimes people will have a knee jerk reaction when they get bites and come here because this seems like the only organized place to discuss this topic. You might see post after post of the same question, same format, same topic, but each thread is an individual user, an individual story, an individual issue and you should embrace is as such even if the situation turns out not to be bed bugs.

If something as simple as a 'common post' frustrates you to the point where you have to complain about it maybe you should not be here offering assistance. This place gives me peace of mind and education.

you have no right telling a user that "you probably do not have bedbugs" because you have absolutely no idea of the situation of said poster, or the next.

Your post angered me, and I wanted to express my feelings towards it. Nothing personal.

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 8:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BedBugBlogger,

Please note the OP last responded eight months ago and has not logged on since then. You can click a poster's status ("member") to see last login date.

I'm closing this thread.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92