Bites (assumed fleas) then small red blood stain on sheet

(3 posts)
  1. ughihopenot

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 1:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been dealing with bugs since I moved into a basement apartment.

First, I found carpet beetles (and their eggs). Vacuumed like crazy and had an exterminator come in. When I got back to vacuuming weekly rather than daily, I found bites on my legs when shaving them. I found flea eggs on my (indoor-only how the heck did they get fleas!) cats and saw one flea in my apartment. I treated with the cats for fleas, the rugs with diatomaceous earth, and have been vacuuming daily.

Today, there was a small (2-3 millimeters, tops), obviously red blood stain on my sheet. It's not smeared but it's not black, and I don't know whether I should be concerned about bed bugs. (My main concern is that, like the carpet beetles distracted me from noticing fleas, the fleas are distracting me from noticing bed bugs.

I did a thorough search before determining that it was fleas, not bed bugs. This was about 3 weeks ago. Searched inside dressers, closet, metal bed frame, inside box spring, in the nooks and crannies of my mattress, removed bedside table and replaced with folding table. All the things the internet says to check.

Here's both a magnified photo and not magnified photo of the bloodstain. Any advice would be appreciated!

http://tinypic.com/r/ixb5ft/9

http://tinypic.com/r/34ywf45/9

2. ughihopenot

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 10:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: Found this in a pillowcase. It's hard to the touch and a little crumbly, but it's definitely not clumped up cat litter. I haven't found anything like it in any posts about bedbugs online, but does anyone know what this is??

3. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 20 hours ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 18:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug feces would be black. The blood spots people see are typically from a bite bleeding, or possibly a squished bug. A flea bite or smooshed flea could bleed just as easily. As for HOW the cats got fleas, there are quite a few ways. The old tenant could have had a pet with fleas and they stayed in the carpet. There could be mice, rats, or raccoons on your property, they pretty commonly carry fleas. You could have tracked some in from the grass and they made home on your cat. It really just goes on and on. It's possible to have fleas in your home and not even own a pet. I think you're on the right track with fleas. I used salt and baking soda to get rid of fleas from a house overnight. Look it up. Super cheap, and it worked like a charm. You'd still have to treat the cats though obviously.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,892 posts in 45,388 topics over 138 months by 19,944 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug