(4 posts)
  1. PNW_photogapher

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 13:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!

So the story starts back in March of last year. I found out our downstairs neighbors obtained bedbugs from a piece of used furniture (Go figure.) The PCO came in with dogs to sniff for bed bugs in which of course they haven’t found any. Well a week after that I started getting itchy bumps on my hands. It started with a row of 4 which left a scar. I sprayed insecticide all around my futon, I’m cracks and crevices, in plug outlets, the entire 9 yards. The bites stopped. Fast forward to now and I’m getting them a lot more. What is strange is the bumps appear on my arms mid day. I itch and notice a red streak and then a bump will form. After getting another bump last night Intore the entire house apart. Working in the hospitality industry I knew exactly where to look. After looking through the furniture crevices, removing plug outlet covers, as well as tearing up the edge of the carpet, I haven’t been able to find a single skin or decal stain. The only thing I have found tons of is carpet beetle larve. I’ve found thousands of skins under the carpet. My question is, for those of you with experience, where else should I look? I can’t except that the carpet beetles could be causing this rash since I’ve awaken with bumps. Is there another odd place these little guys like to hide?

Thank you guys for reading and offering advice!

-Tim

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 13:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You didn't mention inspecting the bed, nothing there?
    The hairs of the larval carpet beetle have been known to irritate the skin on some people.
    Looking at your timeline I would not suspect bed bugs, after ten months you wouldn't even have to search.

3. PNW_photogapher

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 14:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 30 minutes ago  » 
    You didn't mention inspecting the bed, nothing there?
    The hairs of the larval carpet beetle have been known to irritate the skin on some people.
    Looking at your timeline I would not suspect bed bugs, after ten months you wouldn't even have to search.

Hi, thank you for responding!

I apologize for not clarifying earlier that I checked the bed that was one of the first spots I looked. I looked throuought the metal frame of the futon as well, including the bolts that contained hiding spots. I was unsuccessful at finding anything. I also payed out passive monitors with DE and only captured a spider as well as another tiny bug that appeared to jump but was much smaller than a flea. It looked like a silverfish.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 24 2019 14:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If the detection skirt on your Passive Monitor is clear for 7 days I would go with carpet beetles.

They can cause skin reactions and this can appear to go away when a home is sprayed because the spray knocks out the actual cause for a few days. However the issue will always return after 5-7 days and leaves people with symptoms similar to bedbugs but none of the confirming signs.

Thankfully the solution is simpler than you expect and well covered in this link:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpet-beetles/

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,725 posts in 49,536 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie