Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites

(9 posts)
  1. jec0333

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 10:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have two questions:

1) I read that BB's only bite around once a week. I was getting bites every night. So does that mean there are several BB's biting me? Or will they bite every night if they have access to a meal?

2) I have a severe reaction to BB bites, but have not had a bite since I encased my box spring and dusted with Cimexa. However, if I sit in my chair in my living room, I become very itchy (this does not occur any where else). I do not have bites from sitting there, but start to itch badly after sitting there for a couple minutes. Does this mean they are in the chair?

Thanks in advance!

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

1. I understand that a fully grown BB will only bite every 7-10 days if they have managed to feed undisturbed. The nymphs can feed each day given the opportunity.

2. Is the chair where you sit and read the forum and research BBs? I react to BBs and I am itching now as i reading the forum and old bites seem to flair up.

3. jec0333

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 17:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response. That actually makes sense. Before I encased my box spring, I sprayed everything really good with bedlam plus. Went back to check 30 minutes later, and 5 small ones were sitting on top of the box spring. They weren't moving so I just snatched them up with duct tape and threw them out, then encased the box spring. I assume they were the reason for continual biting.

And the odd thing is, I do not sit in that chair often, neither does anyone else really. Which is why I thought it would be safe. I have read about people's body "warning" them of BB presense with the severe itching and wondered if that's what was happening with the chair. Guess I'll treat it with Bedlam and cimexa just in case.

4. MissMolly951

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 20:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

So I am trying to figure out if I have bed bugs or I got bit by mosquitoes or what. So I started just wearing a tshirt to bed. No underwear or pants. And recently I noticed some bites on me. two on my left lower stomach ( about an inch and a half apart, two in my inner left thigh about an inch apart, and two on my upper left thigh (about 4 inches from the ones in my inner thigh). They are all about the size of a pencil eraser except one of the ones on my stomach is a little bigger. All have the small dot in the middle from the bite site. It wasn't until I started itching them that I saw them that I noticed them and they are now red. From what I have read, bed bug bites are normally formed in a straight line. Every weekend I stay at my friend's house and she has a dog. Who knows maybe he picked up fleas. Also at her house I wear shorts to bed that can ride up and if my shirt rides up as well, these places may become exposed. I my mattress, mattress pad, and box spring and saw no bugs, exoskeletons, rusty smears suggesting feces or any dark spots other then specks of fuzz here or there. I just vacuumed, washed all my sheets and pillow cases and clothes because I got freaked out. None on my pillows either had anything on them either. I know if it persists or doesn't go away I will check with my doc, etc. but as for right now I want to know someone else's opinion before I overreact.

5. jec0333

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 22:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I'm not an expert, but I know bites can come from fleas as you said, bed bugs, etc. Multiple different sources. I will tell you it took awhile for me to actually find a bedbug to confirm. I was getting bites for almost a week before I could finally find the bed bug, and this was with constant searching. I knew what I was looking for though because my son had a run in with them at a hotel, and brought them back here. I had the classic breakfast, lunch, dinner bites and knew immediately what it was. However, that was the one and only time I had that line of bites. From then on, it was just one or two. And everyone reacts differently or not at all. But mine welt up really bad and itch profusely.

I have only found 2 (aside from the nymphs that came up from spraying). And both times it was because I keep constantly lifting up my mattress and searching in between the mattress and the box spring. I'm talking at least 10 times a day and night. I knew it was there and was on a mission. You will have to locate one to actually confirm that its bed bugs. Just keep searching especially around your box spring because that's were the majority of them hang out until they are scattered. But you will have to catch it coming out of the inside of the box spring, or if you're brave you could pull off the lining on your box spring and search inside of it with a flash light and bed rails too. But no matter, you would still have to catch whats biting you to confirm what it is...

6. jec0333

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 22:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

And one more thing, try not to waste time locating the problem. If it is bed bugs, you have to move fast while the infestation is small. The babies only need to feed 5 times to become adults. And the adults lay up to 10 eggs so you can have a pretty big problem on your hands if you don't move quickly. You can also call and have someone do an inspection.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 2:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 11 hours ago  » 
    1. I understand that a fully grown BB will only bite every 7-10 days if they have managed to feed undisturbed.

Bed bugs will generally bite at least once a week each, but there can be more or fewer days between feedings depending on factors including how hot or cold it is, availability of food, and so on.

I am not sure what you mean by "if they have managed to feed undisturbed".

The nymphs can feed each day given the opportunity.

My understanding is this is not true.

I will ask Lou to weigh in, however.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 7 2016 8:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I have read, bed bug bites are normally formed in a straight line.
    I understand that a fully grown BB will only bite every 7-10 days if they have managed to feed undisturbed. The nymphs can feed each day given the opportunity.
    The babies only need to feed 5 times to become adults.

From various sources in this post. Many people see lines in biting and it really doesn't exist. If the bed bugs are holding onto linen, blanket, comforter that is against you or some other edge while they feed, then there could exist a line. Feeding marks can be in groups if more than one feeds at one time or the bug tries a few places until it is "happy" with what it's picked. Bed bugs typically don't feed every time they are given a chance to do so. This can happen a few times a day or once every few days: 7 days to wait for a blood meal meal is a bit long and the one reason that it was mentioned is that lab feeding of bed bugs were typically 7-10 days. A full bed bug has no room, so it doesn't feed. A bed bug normally feed to full engorgement if given the chance. Defecation or at least the massive amount of liquid is dumped first before blood digestion takes place. I've seen thin bed bugs not get excited about feeding and don't. I've seen thin bed bugs scurry about and "forget" to feed. I've fed bed bugs one day and they couldn't feed for some reason: looked like the stylets were embedded, but no blood sucked up and no changing of stylet fascicle position to try again. It's like they forgot what they were doing or fell asleep. The next day feeding went well. A bed bug that is digesting the meal might want to feed a little more and maybe not. There are 5 nymph stages (or instars since an instar is the stage of immature insect that is between each molt - we call these stages in hemimetabolous insects, nymphs) and each has to obtain a blood meal(s) in order to have the proper amount of nutrition to molt and continue to the next stage of development. Nymphs can feed more than 5 times and total digestion does not occur in order for the nymph to molt its skin. Not everything is etched in stone: bed bugs can't read our scientific publications or search the Internet to know what they are supposed to do.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Mar 7 2016 20:56:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,821 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen