Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bites & Crazy Skin Reactions - Old Blog Post - Interesting

(6 posts)
  1. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 9:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So over the last three months I've been reading and participating in the forums, at least once a week, someone (and me included) is freaked out because they have crawling sensations, different kinds of bites or new bites when they're pretty sure the bugs are gone. We think we're going crazy.

Lots of people have provided some really good explanations. Many have reported they developed new skin conditions or worsened existing conditions after having been bit by bed bugs. The crawling sensation could very well be our body's allergic response. We know that bed bugs don't like to stay on our bodies, so the chance is unlikely that we really have them crawling on us.

While reading through the old blogs, I found this:
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/16/lingering-sensations-phantom-bed-bug-bites-what-does-a-bed-bug-infestation-really-do-to-our-skin/

Since this topic comes up so often, I thought it was a good one to bring back up.

A personal side note that I thought was very interesting - My skin went crazy after having bed bugs. Among other new medical side effects (I'm convinced may actually have surfaced from the stress caused by bed bugs - stress can do a number on our bodies) my doctor did a ton of tests and is currently ruling-out other medical causes. In this process she found that I have really low Vitamin D. So I've been on a pretty strong supplement. I went back to the doctor last week because after taking the Vitamin D for nearly a month, I'm finding that my condition is not improving, but may actually be worse...and I'm silently freaking out because I get spots that I'm pretty sure aren't bites, but what the heck are they? She said there's nothing she could do except wait until my Vitamin D returns to normal and the spots are...idiopathic (unknown cause), but I keep telling myself they're not like the bites I am sure were caused by bed bugs. Now I'm not saying I'm certain the Vitamin D supplement is the cause, but now that I've read this, it's certainly worth consideration. I guess the only way to know for sure is if my skin returns to normal once I'm done taking it.

I guess this is just another example of how crazy our bodies can get and before we freak out about every spot we find, keep in mind bed bugs are only one cause and there are several other things that could be to blame.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 10:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this post. I woke with a dead ringer for a bite at a location that had never been bit before. (no ghosts of bites past) It sent me into a tailspin.

50 minutes later, no swelling, though it was still red. Not like a BB bite at all for me.

And my skin is highly reactive. I'm beginning to realize that being in a bed exacerbates my skin allergies. Stress.

I really could hug you, BMD.

3. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 11:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hugs back at you Ashamed!

I hope your bed bug nightmare is truely over and I hope the stress will get better with time.

I go back and forth. For five or six hours I live a normal life and believe they are gone. But then I get an itch and freak out and am convinced they're still here. I talk myself through it and after an hour or so go back to "they're gone mode," and tell myself I just need to be on the lookout for other evidence. I'm getting better though. I used to inspect my bed daily. Now I do it every 3 or 4 days.

I hate bed bugs!

4. onmylastnerve

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2011 11:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the info I thought I was going nuts and the only one in my house getting bites. I feel the crawling sensation and it drives me nuts I never had it before we had the bed bugs it will wake me up at nights. its just nice to know that I'm not nuts I keep hoping into a hot bath figureing if there is anything on me then it will be dead...

5. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 13:03:56
    #

Login to Send PM

BMD,

I totally share your experience. I got a suspect bite on Tuesday, on my lower leg, shin area, itched like hell.

Tell work o Wednesday, they have guy in to spray with Temprid and Gentrol on Thursday.

1ish, I feel a bit of an itch on my back, go to bathroom, take shirt off..... jesus bites, like 7 of them on my back/arm/armpit area.

I freak out, end up not being able to stay at work, leave.

Today, I think I may have another 3 bites on back in waist area... don't really itch but damn it.

I had so hoped this was over, but the bites send me into a state of an anxiety attack.

6. laststrawsue

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 14:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry it's not just me, but I'm glad it's not just me in a way. Because I feel like I'm going mad, and like there's something really wrong with me.

I've had skin problems for ages. Stress induced cystic acne at times (and yeah now), eczema, hives, allergies (peanuts & tree pollen)... And it makes it really hard to say what's a bed bug bite or what's not. And my skin problems DEFINITELY have become worse over the past couple of months - which coincides with the time we now have found out the neighbors downstairs first became infested. (We didn't find an actual bed bug until about a month ago ourselves..) It was a couple of months ago that I started getting itchy & various rashes & welts that seemed rather unusual.

But now, there's only one place I've been bitten that I know for sure it's bed bug bites, because it's my wrist, where I've never had any skin problems, and it happens to be the wrist that hangs outside the blankets when I sleep - because of my preferred sleeping position - even if I keep it under the blanket to go to sleep, even when it's cold, I wake up with this hand & wrist hanging out on the pillow. So it makes sense that I've got a constellation of bites there. Otherwise, it's a constant wonder - is this a hive? Is it acne? Is it a bite? Is it a patch of eczema?

And the skin crawling sensation. MANY times now I have the SENSATION of a bug crawling on me, and I can look right at the spot I'm feeling it and there's NOTHING there. Not even a sign of skin irritation. Just a crawling sensation.

Our apt has already had 1 insecticide treatment a week ago, and they're coming back next week.
    We've NOT found any harborages, nests, castings, fecal matter, nor blood anywhere after meticulously inspecting & packing up in plastic sealed bags every personal item & going over every inch of the place. (Repeatedly cleaning & vacuuming... vacuuming & cleaning nothing really, as we've done it so frequently over the past month.)

So... not that I WANT to find bed bug casings & fecal matter on my stuff!! But I think the fact we don't know where they're coming from makes me feel like well, they could be anywhere! And I think that leads me to be hyper-aware of any & all even minor skin irritations or itches at all times... that under normal circumstances would likely be ignored, or at least not given any particular attention.
    I was at a property that was recently flooded until after sundown the other day, got bitten by mosquitoes - one bit me in the car driving home (99% sure it was a mosquito), and the next day I had to have the whole car cleaned out & thoroughly vacuumed, or I would've just kept feeling itchy in there... wondering.

That said, I don't think it's simply psychological & an issue of just being more aware of it. My SO said my skin has just gotten progressively worse over the past 2 months.
    And it's not all bed bug bites... But it's sure not my imagination.
    Whereas in the past I wouldn't get eczema hardly at all in the summer, not usually until the 1st snowfalls... It's only October, and I'm covered in many large patches of eczema that I'd call more severe than the worst I've ever had it during the coldest most dry winter windy cold snap in January. The only time I've known of eczema being this extensive is some years ago my friend with eczema had it really really bad late in her (1st) pregnancy during January.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993