Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bite Pattern

(8 posts)
  1. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 9:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Two questions?

I am getting bites at night in a linear pattern. Usually just a couple and they don't really bother me much. Are bed bugs the only insect that bites in a line?

And even though I am getting bitten, my husband is not. (He is in the same room.) I have checked him "stem to stearn" with a good flashlight and there is nothing on him.

I have ordered some climb-ups to see if I can catch the culprits for ID and will post more when I have some addl. info.

Thank you for this site, I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about BB's LOL But it will be very useful if my suspicions are correct.

S

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 10:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No bedbugs are not the only insect that can l;eave linear patterns, in fact more often than not bedbug bites are not linear. Have a look at the link below:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

Skin reactions are the worst thing to diagnose for and its best to focus on the confirming signs which are:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 11:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

TY for the info. What happened was that we removed an air conditioner out of our bedroom window then forgot to pull the screen down. For three nights we slept in that room with the window open, not realizing the screen was up. I think every insect in the neighborhood came in to help themselves to a free meal. Probem is that now a week later, I am still getting bitten. I have looked everywhere...cleaned the entire room and found no signs of any insects. I inspected the mattress and box spring and there are no fecal spots.

What is concerning me is that even though the bites have slowed down, they are linear about and inch long. Last night I got one through my cotton undies on my abdomen and two on my lower chest. ???

I'm going to get some insect spray today and give the room a treatment and if they are not BB's hopefully that will kill the little critters.

S

Ty again for the reply.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 11:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its best to confirm what it is if possible before trying to kill it otherwise you are not likely to be successful.

It may also be that the problem is a result of something that is not insect related or not related to bites. For example with carpet beetles the hairs of the larval stage can cause a reaction but since they are already dead insecticide has no affect.

I am sorry I cant be of more help other than to say I would be amazed if this is bedbugs based on what you have said.

David

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 12:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

When you talk about a couple of bites this means 2. Two dots connected by a line will always be linear. As David noted above, bites are not always linear but are in clusters or groups.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 16:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The lines are about an inch long, but have 4 to 5 actual bites making it look like a line. And they are perfectly straight.

But like I said, I have ordered some climbups and will see what I get. I am praying you are correct and its just my paranoia!!!

TY again for the replies.

S

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 16:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In the field I see as many clusters or bites as I do singles on their own.

The only pattern to bites is that there is no pattern beyond exposed skin.

David

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 16:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the explanation of your bites. Do you know if there is any clothing or bed covers against these areas that would explain a straight line? Follow info from David. Can't diagnose bed bug infestations from skin lesions. Specimens are required.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,818 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen