Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Bite Me: The Bed Bug Invasion - a CBC DocZone feature

(18 posts)
  1. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 15:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

This DocZone aired last night, and I found it to be accurate. Jeff White is prominently featured as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2418136659/

2. bedbugontario

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 16:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I will hopefully watch this tonight! Its about 40 mins long.

3. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 17:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My sister (who hasn't been all that interested in all things bed bug) called me to let me know about it.

She really enjoyed watching it. I think it will be a good vehicle for sharing some basic bed bug education with friends and family members.

4. bbcomox

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 23:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Just finished watching it online. It's a good documentary to raise awareness for those who are not aware of bedbugs.

I am hopeful that the scientists and doctors featured in the last segment find solutions to deal with bedbugs.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 2:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Does the CBC block US IP addresses? Have not been able to view this yet...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 8:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Content not available from the UK but I have seen enough from the trailer to know its mainly DejaMoo.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. Canuck

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 20:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

NBOM, does this link work Bite Me for you? I believe I did read somewhere that access for US ip addresses will come available later. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  8. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 23:57:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. Interesting.

Does this one work for you: http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episodes/bite-me-the-bed-bug-invasion

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 17 2013 1:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Sheree and Louise!

Nope, neither one works.

In the past, CBC did allow us to view, at least news programs like the Marketplace report a few years back, but maybe their policies have changed or just for certain programs.

10. bbcomox

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 17 2013 15:09:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

If I may, I would like to mention the two solutions featured in the last segment that a scientist and a doctor are working on, so that any experts here could comment on them to see if these are the possible tools that could be used in the forseeable future:

1. fungus spray by Nina Jenkins at Penn State university. I see that this has been discussed in the forum:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bedbug-fungal-infection-research

2. a pill to take:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bug-pill

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/pill-could-join-arsenal-against-bedbugs/

If there are any updates to these future tools, it would be great to hear.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 10:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There have already been extensive discussions on the fungus and the pill and frankly neither appear to be long term solutions unless you have shares in the company that makes kidney dialysis machines in the case of the pill.

Even from the trailer it was clear there is nothing new in this program and they have simply collated all the DejaMoo into "good TV".

I am glad its not available to watch int he UK as it would have most likley caused me to need to replace my computer screen.

David

12. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 11:08:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey David,

No, it's not a perfect program, but I did find it to be far more accurate than much of what is "out there," and my kids all sat through the entire program, entranced. (We all found the comedic segments highly amusing.)

As I said, I think it's a great (and easy) introduction to the world of bed bugs for my family and friends who know very little about them.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 11:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We will have to agree to disagree as chasing "silver bullets" and false hope only leads to people doing stupid things to their homes.

There is enough good accurate knowledge and information out there not to keep recycle only the stuff that looks good on TV but fails.

The media has a major role to play in public education of bedbugs as do governments and the education system but frankly without the information being accurate it does more harm than good. If you want further examples search for those who burnt their homes down because they say a news piece saying you can use heaters to kill bedbugs.

I have a very binary view of the world and frankly if you are not being accurate get out of the way and leave the information provision to those who understand the need to be 100% accurate as lets face it you would hardly be happy if someone resolved 90% of your infestation.

David

14. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 11:20:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't disagree with you at all.

The segments on the fungus and the pill were near the end of the program, and they were in no way presented as cure-alls that currently exist, but merely as research that is being conducted. Would I have preferred that the producers steered clear of those topics? Sure.

But I still consider the rest of the program (by far the majority of it) to be a great way to educate the masses with basic information about bed bugs.

We can, of course - and I suspect we will - agree to disagree.

Have a great day!

Louise

15. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 18 2013 13:20:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

Here is another link you can try:

http://www.canada.com/onlinetv/documentary/doc-zone/9168858/video.html

16. BBFreeinYHZ

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Nov 21 2013 9:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted a thread about this doc a few weeks ago, and was finally able to watch it yesterday (I was out of the country).

NBOM: for the time being, the documentary is only available for viewing in Canada. I tried to watch it in Barbados with no luck.

I thought the documentary was very well done, myself. It was not, nor intended to be, a complete guide to bed bugs, their entomology, and how to eradicate them. It was intended to educate the general public--most of whom know nothing about this problem until they are faced with it--about bedbugs, and I found it did it in a way that was most entertaining, thereby keeping the viewer engaged, instead of grossed out and turning the channel.

I liked the way it explored many common myths, and presented some very basic current and potential future options for treatment--no promises, not terribly detailed, but just enough that should someone be curious, they would know where to start looking for further information. That is pretty much all that you can expect from a 40 minute program.

I also liked the way they explained how a BB infestation in a multiunit dwelling can spread throughout it. In my experience, there is a LOT of ignorance of this fact. I faced it from my landlord, and I faced it from my neighbours who all considered our infestation "my problem". The doc also made it very clear that early containment and action is cruicial, though I would have liked to have seen a little more emphasis on the dangers of DIY treatments.

I thought having the lawyer participate was interesting, though I am not sure if enough emphasis was given to tenant rights, but again, in 40 minutes you can only cover so much ground, and again, I think he said enough that anyone watching would have a better idea where to look for their own answers.

The involvement of the psychologist was excellent as well. Unless you've dealt with these bastards, you really have no idea how hard they are on the head. He really laid out the psychological impact well. Several of our friends watched and messaged me while we we away and let me know they had no idea how incredibly challenging and stressful such a thing was, so the doc definitely did a good job of portraying that aspect.

I think it was very successful at what it intended to do--present an engaging, informative and entertaining documentary that provided insight into a problem that very few people are knowlegeable about, or want to think about, and dispell myths and preconceived ideas about the problem (i.e. that it is the domain of low income people, that you can't see bed bugs, that they are only in your bed and throwing your bed out will fix it, that you have to get rid of everything you own, etc).

17. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 14 2014 18:15:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if this documentary is available for viewing in the U.S. yet?

18. BuggyB00

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 14 2014 20:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I don't. I didn't even realize that access was restricted geographically.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111