Bit in Hotel last week; vehicle and home worries

(3 posts)
  1. 50bites

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 22 2010 8:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Have been staying at the same hotel for one week each month over the last year or so. On the day I was checking out, I noticed a couple of spots on my face when I made that first morning glance in the mirror. When I lifted my hand to touch my face, I saw a dozen more spots on my arm. I had bites on my face, neck, right shoulder, both forearms, both hands, and my thumbs. Counted just over 50 bites, but there are more I can't see on my back and neck.

Packed up, checked out, and told hotel management. Spoke to a couple of co-workers later that day. They have also stayed at the hotel. Heard stories about their bites over the last few months. One had an experience in the same room and another room on that floor; other person had been bitten in a third room on the same floor. Was a little upset that this information wasn't shared months ago, but I was also concerned that I had stayed in the hotel between these occurrences.

I don't unpack anything at the hotel, but my suitcase and laptop bag are usually on the floor or bed. I drive my own vehicle for hours between the hotel and home. The suitcase has traveled with me many times in the back seat of my four door pickup. Usually bring the same sneakers and dress shoes. They alternate on the hotel room floor. Same winter jacket has been on and off the bed, in and out of my vehicle, and back home.

Because the hotel infestation has probably been going on for many months and during many of my different stays there, I am concerned that I may have brought something into my home or vehicle. My wife and kids refuse to get into my truck. I'm still scratching and infecting the bites. Probably a mental thing. When I arrived home that day, I had my wife leave a change of clothes in the garage. I stripped, changed, bagged my old clothes. I have thrown out the suitcase (it was old), all of my clothes that were in the suitcase (they were not old), and my favorite shoes. Okay, I am probably over reacting.

Had to keep a lot of non-clothes items and am not sure what to do with them. These are things like my laptop, external hard drive, power cords, electric razor, notebooks, etc. Also not sure what may have been brought into my house from prior trips to this same hotel.

Thanks for reading my ramble. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. MBcowboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 8:54:57
    #

Login to Send PM

50bites,

Bed bugs usually concentrate on areas of your body where blood is close to the skin such as forearms, back of the legs between the knees and ankles, sometimes the tops of shoulders. You are describing more of an indiscriminate biting pest such as fleas or body lice but large infestations of bed bugs will eat where they can at feeding time.

Did you happen to see a bed bug - alive or dead? Do you know whether hotel management has had the property treated for bed bugs in the past - not that they are likely to tell you especially if you are standing at the front desk showing bites and scratching yourself silly? But it never hurts to ask and let them know you are concerned for what it has potentially spread to your home.

Well, for starters, I'd recommend a thorough inspection of your home and vehicle. Get yourself a good LED flashlight, magnifying glass, thin bladed scraper or credit card type plastic for scraping cracks and crevices and start going to town on your bedrooms. You can do this yourself just take the time to read on inspection tips located here and on linking websites. Be thorough, be suspicious, take your time and take no hiding area for granted.

If you find any evidence of bed bugs, there are do-it-yourself methods that may work for you. I highly recommend bringing in a reputable pest management professional for advice about treatment protocol if you are at all unsure.

Good luck and please educate, educate, educate yourself.

3. 50bites

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Apr 1 2010 7:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply MBcowboy. Yes, I found one single bug. It was alive and on the hotel bathroom floor. Was an exact match for bedbug images on the internet. However, I can't be sure if there were other pests in the room or not. I have noticed a strong small of cinnamon in other rooms during previous stays. I read somewhere that cinnamon oil is used as an organic repellent.

Most of the bites were concentrated on my forearms and thumbs. I took photographs. Already seems to be enough floating around on the internet. They too seemed to match the images I've seen.
    Guess I have some inspections to do around the house. Thanks again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07