Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bit at the salon or what?

(5 posts)
  1. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 21:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

So tonight I went to the mall where there is a salon and spa to get three of my nails redone. This was around 7pm. I get there, they sit me down at one of the work stations and they wrap them with acetone and sort of leave me for a while (my phone says 29 mins for the conversation I had with my mother while I waited) since everyone was busy. So I know I was sitting there for at least a half hour. Eventually they had me go over to another work station where the lady finally redid my three nails and that took about 10 minutes, and then I was out of there. I walked around the mall for about 20 mins and then got in my car and came home. I already had the heebie jeebies from sitting there because the place is carpeted and they have these big heavy chairs with vinyl. I'm always uncomfortable sitting in those seats. I kept my eye out around me as best as I could and didn't see anything. But by the time I left there I felt so itchy and crawly. There was something on my back on my shirt that I grabbed with my fingers, I am not even sure if it was a bug but it didn't look like a you know what either, from what I could see examining it on my hand at the entrance to Charlotte Russe. Unfortunately I fumbled and it got lost to somewhere on the floor.

The whole way home I was scratching and feeling my shoulders and back, all over under my shirt actually, to see if I felt anything on my skin. When I got home just a little while ago I stripped down and when I went into the bathroom I noticed there are two vertically positioned bumps on my upper left shoulder blade, near where there are already a lot of bumps on my skin. Were they already there and I just overlooked them before or new. How could I have overlooked these unless from picking at myself I unknowingly inflamed two preexisting but smaller ones. They don't itch but that doesn't mean anything to me. I just don't recall them being there until now.

Why does it seem like everywhere I go has bugs or at least I suspect this? Could it be that just that many places have some level of infestation or it is in my head? It also seems that it would be very unlikely that I just happen to end up in all the places, right chairs. etc that would be buggy out of everyone else around me. All these other people sitting in bars, restaurants, etc who are totally oblivious can't all have bugs and be re-catching them every time they go out.

I did work today. I took the car this morning that the dog had alerted in to go get my coffee and then drop myself off at work. BUT, the car was heat treated on Monday and they couldn't find any evidence, they searched the car pretty good too. At one point they thought they found a dead on wedged in the seat, turned out it was a piece of tobacco. So yeah, I check all around me while I am working all day and constantly touch the back of my neck and all. I've not seen any in work so far although I do get quite itchy being there.

I took a really long hot shower today after work. Who knows what the hell is going on!?? Just ruins my night and start of a pretty bad weekend as it is. I have to get up at 6:30 am on my Saturday to go on that mandatory class trip to NYC...yeah, really not digging that at all. I usually go out on Fridays but decided to skip it tonight, too tired, not in a good mood, and knowing I have to be up early ruins it for me. Doesn't feel like a Friday night.

Decided also to get dropped off at the bus tomorrow and just come back from NYC on my own on the train when I am ready to come home instead of waiting around. Will have to take public transportation regional rail... not liking that part... will walk from the train station. Shake out my clothes in the station bathroom and strip down in the tub as soon as I get in.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

2. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 21:59:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to say this in the nicest way... it sounds like a little paranoia. When you've got bedbugs on the mind, every bite is a bump. Every tingle is a bug. Small movements in armhair/leghair feel like insects are crawling on you. That little cookie crumb in that upholstered chair is a bedbug.
    It's pretty typical.

Best thing to do is to be alert, perceptive, and do routine inspections. We can beat bedbugs, but if bedbugs ruin your day-to-day life, then that's when you're letting them win. Keep up the good alertness, but don't let them stop you from living/enjoying life.

3. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 22:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg you are absolutely right. If I was letting them win 100% I wouldn't even be at the mall or sitting in a salon. I associate that entire area with bugs for many reasons.
    1: It's a mall, lots of clothing and shoe stores meaning lots of returns and otherwise in those stores.
    2: It's near Sesame Place. 98% of the people who go to Sesame Place all through the season are from NYC.
    3: It is not only a large tourist area because of the park, it is an area with lots of professional activity. There's the Sheraton, the Holiday Inn Express, the Red Roof Inn (will get to that in a second) plus a strand of way old, way creepy, roadside motels around the corner from the mall where people have been murdered. Yeah, don't try and tell me those places are clear.
    4: The Red Roof Inn.. a poster on this forum had stayed there with her family for the purpose of taking their kids to Sesame Place. Did I mention how heavily populated this mall area is with tourists in summer? They spend the night, eat at all those chain restaurants nearby, shop at the mall... anyway, she brought bugs home from their trip. She had seen one on the hotel bed but didn't know what it was so she didn't panic.
    5: I went to that salon back in winter to get a pedicure when I was still scared about my bug situation here at home. I found a few red puncture marks either on or near my foot later that night after I got home, my naked feet had been sitting for a long time along the floor, under the dark table, in the nail dryer.

When it is hard to tell what marks are on your body, what caused them, etc. it's hard not to be paranoid or suspecting. Especially when you never had marks like this before and they all happen in isolated areas, or line up with the edges of your clothing, or appear in perfect formation.

4. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 22:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I finded it!

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bugging-out-they-keep-ruining-my-holidays-what-do-i-do-now#post-98003

As the day went on my red marks blistered and burned so much that by the night time I could not take it anymore and went to the hospital for treatment.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention the hospital right next to the high rise Sheraton, across from the mall?

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 1 2011 14:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again, Help Me,

Hope you had a good time in NYC (mandatory trips are sometimes no fun).

You are probably on high alert after the thermal.

That said, I used to run around at lunch and do errands (libary, haircut, etc). I now schedule haircuts after work. I have systems in place at home that make me feel better about going to riskier places (packtite, showers, etc).

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970